• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 using 60 hz with HDMI, can you tell ?

Dapunk

My TV wont display this information, but is the 360 using 60hz with HDMI or 50 hz ? Can you see this on some status page of your TVs ?

Thanks.
D.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
When you set the display settings in the menu it will first set the output to 60hz, then it will ask you if you would like to test if it works at 50Hz. If you select yes, and it works at 50Hz it will only use 50Hz. The only way to use 60Hz is to tell the 360 that it failed to display at 50Hz.

It is a strange design decision by MS.

I think that when you play a 60Hz only Retail game it will set it to 60Hz, but it doesn't for Arcade games.

R

Relica

When you set the display settings in the menu it will first set the output to 60hz, then it will ask you if you would like to test if it works at 50Hz. If you select yes, and it works at 50Hz it will only use 50Hz. The only way to use 60Hz is to tell the 360 that it failed to display at 50Hz.

I think that when you play a 60Hz only Retail game it will set it to 60Hz, but it doesn't for Arcade games.

I didn't realise this. My 360 has been working at 50Hz then!

Dapunk

Uh this is important because games are set to 30 fps mostly, so you get a 2:1 pulldown effect and less judder with 60hz. No wonder sometimes VGA appears smoother to my eyes.

How totally stupid.

D.

robo989

Banned
Uh this is important because games are set to 30 fps mostly, so you get a 2:1 pulldown effect and less judder with 60hz. No wonder sometimes VGA appears smoother to my eyes.

How totally stupid.

D.

Not true, flawed logic. Games will always run in 60hz unless you have the option turned off over SCART only, most games now won't even run in 50hz!!!!

Xbox Live! Arcade games virtually all run at 60fps\50fps and aren't under a frame limiter...

Think of old 2d scrolling games on the megadrive for example, they didn't judder in the PAL release, they just ran slower.

The real problem is VGA not working at 50hz and hence a judder for 25fps content being forced to run at 60hz etc.

nate

Standard Member

ive tried this but the game im trying to play still says
"this game does not support PAL-50 please change your settings to PAL-60 etc..."

and im using a hd cable so im a bit coonfused on how to make this game run

CERBERUS40000

all games on both the 360 and PS3 run in 60hz only! when playing in HD

the 50hz test is for certain streamed video (all that sent you a message crap with the two emos is in 50hz) and also 50hz only original xbox games (Halo, DOOM 3 etc) and your Pal dvds play in 50hz, VGA forces them and all streamed video to 60hz and 50hz xbox games won't run

even though my toshy has no info my sammy tells me everything

if your in 720p/1080i/1080p you won't even have a 50/60hz option, some people stupidly use the "optimal resolution" and doing that on alot of tvs switches to 1360x768 which gives a washed out soft VGA picture, its also a 60hz only res

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
ive tried this but the game im trying to play still says
"this game does not support PAL-50 please change your settings to PAL-60 etc..."

and im using a hd cable so im a bit coonfused on how to make this game run

You will need a 360 Composite cable or RGB Scart cable.

With either of those connected you will be presented with a PAL option in the Display menu and by default it will be set to PAL50hz, just change that to PAL60hz, reconnect your HDMI cable and you will no longer have any problems.

CERBERUS40000

won't make any difference, the output setting are independent of each other with each cable, I could swtch it to 50hz and 4:3 with an SD cable(RGB, Svideo, composite) plug in the HDMI cable and it will still be in 60hz 720p widescreen

in HD no 360 game(retail or xbla) EVER runs in 50hz! wondering if half these posts are a wind up lol

the test asking you if you can see the screen doesn't make it 50hz after that, it swtches back to 60hz, the test is purely that! a test to see if you can run that refresh rate, the only things that will ever use it are some streamed videos from dashboard(mostly uk based ones) original xbox games with no 60hz and Pal dvds, everything else is 60hz

"this game does not support PAL-50 please change your settings to PAL-60 etc..." sounds like something wrong if your seeing that through HDMI, only time you should see this message is on an SD tv thats been set to 50hz

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Certain games have a bug in them which makes them look at the SD settings and if it's set to Pal50hz then it will refuse to play even though like you say all games in HD play at 60hz.

To fix this bug you have to do what I said, this is a very old problem and the fix for it has been known for along time now.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
It also effects Feeding Frenzy and The Outfit.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom