XBox 360 to PC...can't connect?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by leamspaceman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    I have a laptop that I'm trying to connect wirelessly to my xbox 360 so as to stream pics and music.

I'm running XP home (SP2) and I've downloaded and installed Windows Media Connect.

The problem is that my PC can't find the xbox and vice versa. When I try to connect the xbox by using the 'Test Media Connection' function on the xbox, it shows up the wireless adaptor, then confirms connection to the network, then confirms the IP address. It then gets to 'PC select' and says 'failed.' On the 'more info' tab I get an 'Error Status Report' as follows:

W: 0000-0021
    X: 0000- F001
    Y: 0000-0000
    Z: 8000-4005

I know the wireless connection is okay as I'm connecting okay to xbox live and have maximum signal strength showing on my xbox.

Any ideas?

I have a Linksys WAG54GS wireless modem/router. I've forwarded the correct TCP/UDP ports on this as recommended. I've also allowed Windows Media Connect to access through Zone Alarm.

I'm stumped. Can anyone help me out?

UPDATE: The PC has found the xbox, but the xbox just will not find the PC? Anyone?

2. Deadsquirrel

Deadsquirrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    It's VERY annoying isn't it mate? Sorry...I didn't see your post.

I've looked over the xbox.com forums and it seems this is a common problem with no real reason for it not to work, well, not that I can see anyway.

Hopefully some helpful person will come along here and tell us exactly what we need to do? Fingers crossed!!!

Oh, BTW, I read about another program that's supposed to be better and easier to use than WMC. It's here:

http://www.tversity.com/

Couldn't get that to work either though.

4. basser

basser
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hiya everyone....i also had this problem and it drove me to disraction...i phoned my wireless manufacturer(belkin) who gave me a list of ports to open on my firewall(mcafee)....i opened the ports then shut the firewall down(as the belkin has one in its hardware)went to the 360 and then tried to play a music file(without testing network) you then get the option of making a connection to a computer(if you have already done this...make a new one)...made a new computer connection and it now works...hope i explained this ok

5. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    I don't really understand? Sorry.

I've tried making a connection to my computer on the 360...but how do you make a new one? There is only one option?

And if you opened the ports in McAfee, but then shut it down, what difference did that make? Did you open those ports in your router too? If so, where, and what are they?

Hope you can elaborate on that?

Cheers for the input though:clap:

6. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    Hey...I got my PC to connect when using TVersity.

I had to uninstall WMC and hey presto...it worked fine.

Can't work out how to use TVersity though!!!

7. weaponx_uk2003

weaponx_uk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    i am doing it wired and had a problem found out it was the cable thats the supplied, must have been crossed when it needed straight or visa versa

8. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    Stopped working again now. Blimey, I consider myself to be pretty PC savvy but this is just the pits.

That TVersity program is just so unclear as to how to use it. No real instructions on the website either. How do you add folders/files to it for streaming?

9. djmetsandy

djmetsandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i did have this problem but if you go to the windows media connect programs, settings then click start at the folder sharing part. then if it doesnt automatically connect test the connection on the xbox 360 then it should connect!!

Good luck

Andy

10. stephen_

stephen_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I also had this problem via wireless.

I disconnected the router from the main telephone line, then turned off all my firewalls. Tried it & it worked. I just went back the way i came & connected everything. Hey presto :clap:

11. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,317
    I've got it to work with TVersity but the software is a nightmare. I just cant figure it out?

12. kaztor

kaztor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've compiled a list of things I have found for this problem... Hope this helps.

1. Make sure you have the latest Windows Media Player 11.. -----http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/alldownloads.htm
    2. Go to Library > Media Sharing > Make sure 'Sharing Media' is on.. It may or may not find your Xbox, hopefully it does. If not, your network settings are wrong or:
    3. Make sure you have the latest update for your Xbox
    4. Make sure you have the latest Windows Service Pack - (right now - Service Pack 3)
    5. Make sure that your Xbox is hooked up to the same network your PC is on.
    6. In your router - just type in http://192.168.1.1/ in your address bar to get to it.
    --Under applications/games make sure you have the right ports enabled.
    --Go to Port Range Forwarding.
    --Make sure you have ports 88, 53, 3074, 2869, 10243, 1900, 10280-10284 Both ways enabled.
    for the single ones just type like 88-88, 53-53, 3074-3074 etc.
    7. If you have a firewall make sure to allow permission for your xbox to access your PC as well.

Other things to check:

Start / Run... type: services.msc then OK

Check these 3 services

SSDP Discovery Service >>>> Start this one first Make and make it Automatic (right click properties).already enabled, switched to automatic

Universal Plug and Play Device Host >>>>> then this one same as one above already enabled, switched to automatic

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service >>>>> then this one... will not stay started, it starts and then it says it had to stop. switched to automatic

If you have any other questions, e-mail me at [email protected] I'd be glad to help you..

-Scott

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  13. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Wow, that's a good checklist there kaztor - I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste into the FAQ (I'll make sure you're credited!).

14. kaztor

kaztor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont mind at all, thanks :) - i coulda added a few more things on it if i woulda known it would have been on faqs lol

15. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Had a go at this and I am stumped.

Laptop is running XP SP3 and is wirelessly connected to Netgear router. Xbox is plugged into same netgear router and is running latest software.

Media Player 11 can't see my 360.

In the router the firewall by default allows all outgoing traffic and blocks all incoming, so I have created rules to permit the incoming on the ports below but no joy.

Not sure how to do anything about point 7 below? The router is set to only permit wireless access to named devices in the access list - is that likely to be the cause?

Would have thought this would be easier:(

Cheers
    Rob

16. Slyboy

Slyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  17. kaztor

kaztor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the firewall - not only do you need to allow it to use the ports, but also the IP of your 360.. Go into network settings on your 360 and make sure the IP address that is there is allowed on your firewall and router.

18. pc5020

pc5020
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I played around with everything on my pc to get the 360 to stream....everything. Then I tried using the auto repair function for the PCs connection and bugger me it said it found a problem and fixed it, what the hell it was i still dont know to this day, I just wish Id clicked it 2 hours beforehand...

That was using Vista x64

19. MIchaelxbox

MIchaelxbox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have fixed the problem i just figured out what was wrong as i was reading this thread i been trying to fix this problem here is what i did i turned off firewall then it work

if it doesn't work port forward the needed ports

20. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,178
    It couldn't be easier with Tversity, when it's running, click the Library tab, then just under that u will see "+ Add Item" click that, then click Browse and add the folder u want to stream from, repeat if required for another folder.
    And if for whateva reason the 360 cant find the PC just click settings in TVersity and select "Restart Sharing" and let it restart.
    Even after ive started tversity i have to "restart sharing" once the ps3 or 360 is started so that it appears.
    Make sure u refresh folders by highlighting folder and clicking refresh just above and to the right in Library tab after u add files or they wont appear.
    Noticed u have mcafee, i cant get anything to work unless my firewalls are off, after it's off, all works fine.
    It's simple enjoy :)

21. Washu

Washu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this thread and I think I am having a similar problem.
    I used to connect my Xbox via an ethernet cable to my laptop, sharing the internet connection and steaming films across it. I have now got myself a wireless adapter for the Xbox but, even though it still can use the internet and connect to Live, it no longer finds the PC so I cant stream films etc.
    Media Player 11 still says it is sharing media to my Xbox but the Xbox says it isnt. Can anyone shed light on this? I'm not using Media Centre, just XP SP3.

22. Awall13

Awall13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this same issue for months and months and finally found the solution last night ...just passing on the information in hopes that it solves someone else's problem. On your router homepage make sure the Filter Multicast option is enabled ... I don't know **** about computer and I don't know what this does..but It solved someone's problem before me and instantly solved mine. Hope that helps!

23. superthorpe

superthorpe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to all this so sorry if it's been mentioned already but I have been streaming music and videos to my Xbox 360 fine with no problems for about 12 months or so until today. I turned on the Xbox and went to my videos to find my pc like always and my pc wasn't there so I did all the tests and now it just can't find my pc at all. My pc can find the xbox and i've been trying now for a good 2 hrs, my heads in bits why it has decided not to work all of a sudden. I've made no changes to my pc or Xbox, firewalls turned off as normal, i'm not that good when it comes to finding out about ports and all that stuff but I know they haven't been changed (by me at least) as I am the only one who uses the pc. I am using XP SP3 and Media player 11. Any help for a newbie is greatly appreciated. Thanks.