1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 to Miss 2005 Launch Date in Japan?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by CAS FAN, Jul 23, 2005.

1. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    See here .

Looks like the Japanese are the ones to miss out this time. It makes a refreshing change when we get a console released here before Japan. It also means that there should naturally be more 360's for us and the US if they push the Japanese date back into 2006.

It seems that we will know if this is true or not on Monday as an announcement is expected at the X-Box Japan Summit.

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    suppose its good for us :D

i was expecting for it to be europe as per usual. roll on q4 2005

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Heheh. Im sure they are only doing this out of a patriotic need to wait for the PS3.

IF the 360 doesnt come out before the PS3 then it will be doomed from day one. The same way the first XBox was.

Currently more Game Boy Advances are sold (Not GBA pockets, just the regular old GBA) than XBoxes in Japan!

The same way I got a US XBox, I will be getting a US 360. Even if I did get a japanese machine, there wouldne be any decent software out for it.

The japanese Xbox has less than half of the software the US version has!!

I blame Sony and Nintendo. Also the fact that people here rarely accept foreign products.

4. soleus

soleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Apparently M$ have denied the Jap delay here

If they don't delay the Jap launch I can only see shortages on launch day :(

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Do you have any problems getting the Japanese women to accept your "foreign products"

:eek: :D

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    guys - you're forgetting that this time MS owns the hardware patents & rights to produce any part of it anywhere in the world (and in more than one place at a time!).

1st Xbox had Nvidia chipset, Nvidia graphic card & Intel CPU, these parts where 'standard' run-of-the-mill PC parts which Nvidia & Intel fully owned and only they could produce them - meaning that MS could only fork out XBOXes at a rate dictated by the slowest between INTEL & NVIDIA.

This time round, even though it has an IBM cpu and an ATI gpu, the circuits are MS owned. IBM & ATI will be producing them but if MS wants to they can just grab the circuit design, take it to China, Malta, Timbuktu (!!!) and start a production line there without owing IBM or ATI a cent (or pence!).

That also means more profit for MS - just in case you didn't know the 1st XBOX cost MS an overall loss of $150M. Thank god they can afford that, cos' otherwise no X360 for us ppl!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    I don't care about other regions, as long as we get it for xmas I'll be happy! :D

Selfish I know! :devil:

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    Indeed - the Japanese always look after themselves 1st and we end up getting their consoles about a year after release. I think it's quite amusing if they are made to wait for entry into the next generation, they won't be used it - being behind with technology! :D

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Not particularly. :cool:
    Thats one foreign product they cant get enough of :devil:

ehem*

As for the console. I honestly doubt people here care or even notice if the 360 comes out later than november/december.

All they can talk about is PS3.

The only way MS will make an impact is if they release first, with a strong line up of RPGs and if nintendo fail and only MS and sony are left in the console business.
    MAYBE then MS will have SOME impact in japan. :rolleyes:

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    MS do indeed have their work cut out to make an impression in Japan. I see them doing better than the Xbox did, but only marginally.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    I think that MS will be very strong in the other markets this time though. The PS3 & revolution will both outsell the 360 in Japan but I think that the 360 will be the biggest seller in the US and maybe in Europe too. The US are (like the Japanese) very loyal to US produced goods (the Atari's success is testiment to this) and I reckon that the 360 will become the best ever selling console in the US. Video gaming is becoming even more mainstream and American's are itching for HD material and the untimate in online gaming. If MS can take the US & European markets then there will be a huge shift in the overal market towards MS.

I can't really see hardly anyone buying a Revo outside of Japan and I see the next gen as a 2 horse race.

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Jay runs to book trip to Tokyo. :devil: :D

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    :D :rotfl: I bet!

14. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,385

Amen, let them wait for once. :thumbsup:

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    True. Unless they have some revolutionary first-party titles that is! :D

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    I just feel that Nintendo are seriously missing the boat again. For some reason they think that we are all really excited by the fact that they are going to unleash some really revolutionary concept on us. In reality were all getting excited by the now constant flow of 360 info and game movies and screen shots. We are all itching to play PGR3, GR3, Gears of War and Quake 4. Nobody (apart from the most ardent Ninty fan) is in the slightest bit bothered about the Revo now. If they really wanted to be in the game then they should have really wowed us at E3 (at least Sony did this to an extent, even though their machine is still a fair way off) not just show us a PC CD-Rom drive painted in black gloss paint! Personally i'd like to see Ninty merge with say MS as I do still feel they have a lot to offer the industry. What they don't have though is ability/power to go it alone any more - IMO of course ;) .

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    I’m still hoping, we’ll be wowed later on in the year. I’ve always been an optimist! :D

18. Matt TRD

Matt TRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Not true Microsoft have officialy announced that it will be released Q4 2005 in all 3 regions.

19. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

21. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I agree about Ninty, but they would never allign with a foregin maker like MS. That would be the equivalent of "turning to the dark side" :D

Sony are also unlikely due to past relations. (the P.S. was supposed to be an add on for the SNES!)

Currently Ninty are working very closely with Panasonic or Matsushta of Japan.

They are providing a lot of their technology to nintendo. Things like their SD cards and such.

Probably other things like DVD drives and such that we are not aware of.

Panasonic are sonys biggest rival in japan, they are getting a piece of the games pie, but they are just not advertising it.

I see ninty continuing to work closely with panasonic in the future.

I beleive that once ninty has had enough with hardware manufacturing, thats when panasonic may take over the hardware side and have ninty provide exlusive content.

Its never to late for a big maker like matsushta to get in on the action.

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    That would be extremely interesting, stranger things have happened!

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think that’s a good call on Panasonic. It’s a monster of a company they could easily carry Nintendo.

Also due to the incestuous nature of Japanese industry a future tie up seems probable when you look at it as suggested. I have said this before but the word foreigner in Japan has dual meanings apparently; It also means "Strange" or "Unwelcome" or something to that effect a friend who speaks Japanese has told me.

Lets face it doesn’t matter how good the 360 is, or how many exclusive games they like there are for it. The Japanese still won’t buy it because it’s not Japanese.

Like I said before it’s a good job the Americans and Europeans don’t think like the Japanese considering how much they rely on exports and manufacturing.

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    I think that Japan may change tack. No other none Japanese manufacturer has launched a current gen console in Japan before a Japanese manufacturer has launched one. The Japanese MUST have the latest technology and I can't see them resisting the 360, especially if a lot of Japanese specific software is released on the machine (as happens now with the PS2). I just can't see them sit by, playing on their PS2's whilst the 360 sits in the shop window. MS is in uncharted waters and you can bet that they have bought up a large proportion of Japanese developers (big & small) to produce games for the 360.

I think that (just like everyone else) the Japanese are loyal to the games they want to play, perhaps more so than the actual console. If i'm honest, I would have never bought an X-Box if it wasn't for PES4 online. I am glad that I did though as it's a much better console than the PS2 and my X-Box is the only console that gets played now. I want to play my fave games and so do the Japanese. Once a few start buying the 360 then others will see it compared to their PS2 and also rush out to buy it.

Like I said though, we've not really had this situation before and the US has not been on top in the console market since the days of the Atari. Personally I think that MS will succeed - time will tell.