1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 to HDMI

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by nick501, May 22, 2005.

1. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Will I be able to connect the Xbox 360 to the HDMI on my tv directly or will I have to Use some sort of adapter?

or will we have to wait and see?

Please help if you know.

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends if there is a cable available which will have a HDMI connection on it. I doubt one will be bundled with the Xbox but there is a good chance that somebody like Monster or Ixos will make one. :hiya:

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MS have so far indicated the X360 will output HD via component.

I hope that they will enable a HDMI connection from the X360's video output, but the spec so far only shows a single video output, and whether or not this single connection can output PAL, YPrPb and digital (HDMI) I do not know.

It would be strange for MS to hail this coming generation as 'the HD Era' and not even use the standardised HD connector (while PS3 has two!). :suicide:

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im pretty sure Component is a standard Hi def conection. Its just not a digital conection.

Really, theres no need for HDMI or DVi-D. Theres nothing wrong with Component. I cant see the difference between the two. So far anyway.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its dosnt look like it will have HDMI functionality. Whilst it would be nice it just adds to the price and 90% of people buying it wont even know what HDMI is.

So it really is not neccessary. The PS3 has HDMI you could wait a year and half for one of those with an expected retail of around £399.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    It does seem like Sony are really embracing the HD era with High capacity Blu Ray and HDMI outputs. You have to remember that we are in the dark ages in this country and the likes of the US (a huge market that Sony wants to recapture from M$), Japan and some European countries already have the HD thing going on. The 360 doesn't really advance on from the X-Box in that it can only do 720p & 1080i via component. I also think that the PS3 will be out around 6-9 months after the 360 in most regions (OK we'll get it in 2010 sometime but I guess we're used to being shafted now :rolleyes: ).

I must say that i'm pretty impressed with what Sony are doing with the PS3, it's a brave move and it will really test the strength of their brand. On the other hand I love the direction that M$ are taking X-Box live, even if the machine doesn't really impress me much at all.

It's good to see risks being taken like this and I will always support any company that puts together a serious package in aid of my entertainment. I can't wait for all of the machines to come out and will have one of each please :smashin: .

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think its pretty unfair to say the 360 is not a huge leap over the Xbox. For starters there are only 3 or 4 titles on the xbox that support 760p and 1080i

Every title on the 360 will support these resolutions. Secondly HDMI isnt neccessary for HD. Not at all, its a nice feature for people with the TV or PJ that support it but that is only a tiny % of the market even in america.

You have to remember that very few people actually have a TV or PJ that will take 1080p even in the US and Japan. OK they will be available at reasonable prices next year apparently but it will be many years before a reasonable proportion of the population have access to this technology. On the other hand there are loads of TV that support 720p currently available at reasonable prices.

And power wise the PS3 and 360 are very closley matched. Yes it has HDMI, Blu Ray and 1080p and I will be buying one but at what price and when ? The PS3 certainly wont be available in this country until CHristmas next year, probably the US Summer 2006 ? WHat I am trying to say is that as nice as HDMI and 1080p are these are not what are going to make people buy the console. For geeks like us yes but for the vast majority of people who buy these things absolutely not.

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Just because the PS3 has 1080P, doesn't mean that many titles will use it. Xbox has 1080i, PS2 even has 1080i, but its very rare that a game supports it. Only MS have stated that ALL their titles have to be 720P minimum.

Graphically/processing wise the end user is not going to notice the difference between a PS3 and 360 (I've read enough tech specs to realise this by now - forget your teraflops). Both have their pros and cons. Its all going to be about the games and the implementation.

Where the 360 could lose out would be the reduced capacity available on the DVD9 format as opposed to Blu-Ray - Sony will be able to cram far more content on their discs. Whether they will is not yet known...!

9. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    trouble is my tv does not have component input only hdmi. (it's a tosh 27wl56) (actually still waiting for delivery!!)

just thinking ahead really.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    The Blu Ray drive will make a huge difference to HD gaming though as there will be the capacity to hold the vast amounts of data that are required for High Def games. I can see the benefits of each system personally and I am really looking forward to how X-Box Live develops. I think that the quality of PS3 games will be great though with 50gb storage space available on Blu Ray discs. Can't wait!

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Remember its extremely rare that any PS2 or Xbox games use more than 4.5 gig space. 9 gig is available on dvd 9. The PC has shown that as technology improves, its not neccesasary to use more storage space for titles.

I doubt if any PS3 games will use more than 9 gig certainly not for a few years. the Blu Ray drive is there for HD video pure and simple, which will look amazing.

You have to think about the developement costs and time to develope games as well. Software houses are already moaning about the costs of creating 4.5 gig of quality content :rolleyes: Trust me the Blu Ray drive will have absolutely no effect on your HD gamming.

Anyway in answer to the guy posting, I dont think the Xbox 360 will support HDMI, certailnly not out of the box so it looks like PS3 will be the way to go for you. I am really suprised Tosh have a set with HDMI but no component, they are one of the biggest advocates of the standard.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1080 is 1080 HDMi is not a positive aspect of HD it is infact a huge negative for most people, HDMI will cost more and will limit compatibility while offering studios content protection but the consumer headaches (it will great too see how many people try connect component to scart using the adapter that came with the PS2 or to the front AV inputs on TV's if they ship component cables with the new consoles!!)

13. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    even tho im more inclined to go 360 for its multimedia aspects (My xbox has become a media centre now and its great) you have to remember the more important aspect of blu-ray, the trasfer speed is ALOT higher than DVD9, which means you can get the data off the disc and into the RAM quicker

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    very nice pt,lots of detail there. i really need to get a HI DEF plasma for this, only prob is there is no 1080I ones available yet.. well none 42" that ive seen

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Those are great images poontang. If the footprint is the zise of a magazine its pretty small.

WHere did the pics come from is it a prototype tester or something ?

17. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Got some more 360 connectivity info:
    (taken from the Microsoft Training area of their webiste)
    Introducing Xbox 360 Accessories – Part 2
    Developed by the creators of the Xbox® video game system, Microsoft® Corporation's new line of Xbox 360™ system accessories extend your digital entertainment experience on Xbox 360. This time around you’ll have even more 1st party options to recommend to customers. At launch, we expect to have sixteen accessories available to consumers.

Get up to speed on what will be coming. Keep in mind that the following information, including specifications and design, are subject to change. As we get closer to the launch of Xbox 360 we will return with more information and any updated details.

HD Video AV Cable

The Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable is an “all-in-one” solution for both Hi-Definition TVs that use component video input and Standard Definition TVs that use composite video input. The Component HD AV Cable provides optimal audio and video signal transfer, so you’ll experience true next-generation gaming. It’s important to note that this is the featured cable that is included with the Xbox 360 console.

Clearly marked and color coded audio and video connectors make it easy to know where to plug each connector in.
    Unlock true Xbox 360 Hi-Definition gaming with video output settings of 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
    Gold plated video and stereo audio contacts for maximum clarity and signal transfer.
    Mylar foil and copper braid shielding protect against radio frequency and electromagnetic interference.
    8 feet long shielded cable.
    Digital Optical Audio Output—optical cable sold separately.
    Stereo Audio Output.
    Hi-Definition/Standard TV video output switch.
    S-Video AV Cable

The S-Video AV Cable is versatile and works for both Hi-Definition and Standard Definition TVs that use S-Video or Composite video inputs. The S-Video AV Cable provides optimal audio and video signal transfer, so you’ll experience true next-generation gaming.

Clearly marked and color coded audio and video connectors make it easy to know where to plug each connector in.
    Gold plated video and stereo audio contacts for maximum clarity and signal transfer.
    Mylar foil and copper braid shielding protect against radio frequency and electromagnetic interference.
    Composite Standard Definition video output.
    Stereo Audio Output.
    VGA Video Cable

Experience Hi-Definition gaming on your flat panel TV or VGA monitors that have VGA video inputs. The VGA AV Cable provides optimal audio and video signal transfer, so you’ll experience true next-generation gaming.

Unlock true Xbox 360 Hi-Definition gaming with video output settings of 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
    DV-15S Standard VGA Connector.
    Gold plated stereo audio contacts for maximum clarity and signal transfer.
    Stereo Audio Output.
    Peripherals Designed Specifically for Xbox Live
    Xbox 360 Headset

Component Cable
    [​IMG]

S-Video
    [​IMG]

VGA Cable
    [​IMG]

Wired Controller!
    [​IMG]

Face Plates
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?!?
    [​IMG]

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Wifi adapter? and nice of them to totally confue people by using the same termination for video and audio, which red is audio?

19. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I thought wifi would have been built in not external?

at the risk of sounding stupid doesn't that componant cable have too many plugs? 5 not 6?

Gary

20. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Includes composite as well?

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: