XBOX 360 System link cable

Kinmond

Standard Member
Im looking to buy a XBOX 360 System link cable so i can connect me and my mates 360 consoles together

Where can I get one in the UK ? (They must accept paypal as payment method):)

CDR

Isn't the system link cable a normal Cat5-E crossover?

Not 100% sure, but 99%.. wait for further confirmation though before I waste your money!

Indiana Jones

Im looking to buy a XBOX 360 System link cable so i can connect me and my mates 360 consoles together

Where can I get one in the UK ? (They must accept paypal as payment method):)

It should have come with an ethernet cable in the box, that will do the job just fine.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
It should have come with an ethernet cable in the box, that will do the job just fine.

It won't. That is a standard straight through cable for connecting to routers and ethernet modems. To connect a 360 to another 360 just like a PC to a PC you need a cross over ethernet cable.

O

OcUK_Dave

If I start playing (and saving) games on my Xbox elite and then transfer over my saves from my premium once I get the cable, will it overwrite any saves? Or am I just best off playing the premium until the cable comes through?

Also will the cable erase anything from the premium? Me and my stepbrother both play the premium so it has his profile and saves on the console as well.

Indiana Jones

It won't. That is a standard straight through cable for connecting to routers and ethernet modems. To connect a 360 to another 360 just like a PC to a PC you need a cross over ethernet cable.

Thats odd because when me and my brother did system link-up afew months back all we used was the grey cable that was in the box and it worked fine.

Prospekt

If I start playing (and saving) games on my Xbox elite and then transfer over my saves from my premium once I get the cable, will it overwrite any saves? Or am I just best off playing the premium until the cable comes through?

Also will the cable erase anything from the premium? Me and my stepbrother both play the premium so it has his profile and saves on the console as well.
Off topic, since this is about connecting two consoles together to game, not for transferring harddrive data. But when you do the harddrive transfer it'll overwrite everything on the Elite drive and then delete everything on the Premium drive. If you want to keep the saves on the Premium too, I believe you can get your PC involved and copy it that way. There was a post about it on this forum somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610909 course you can just get a memory unit and do it that way.

Combatcolin

Standard Member
Thats odd because when me and my brother did system link-up afew months back all we used was the grey cable that was in the box and it worked fine.

Some Network Adaptors can sense what there connected to and adjust themselves automatically, so you don't need to worry about what network cable you are using.

Not sure if this is what's happening, but as with all technology, what is cutting edge expensive kit is tomorrow's standard run of the mill stuff.

Firewire, for example can be used to network 2 Macs together.

In any case, buying a router will make life much easier in the end.

No you don't. The XBox 360's network controller automatically switches to accomodate either lead.

O

OcUK_Dave

Off topic, since this is about connecting two consoles together to game, not for transferring harddrive data.

I know, sorry, only just noticed! That's what you get for posting when you just wake up :suicide:

Moogle

Distinguished Member
No you don't. The XBox 360's network controller automatically switches to accomodate either lead.

I stand corrected. Normally that isn't the case especially with consoles.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom