• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 Streaming

scouser mike

Think my head is going to explode if i dont find a answer to this.
1. Ihave a Xbox 360 in one room connected to a vista pc in another.
2. I have ripped my dvd collection onto a external hard drive.
What i want to do is stream my dvds from Media centre to my xbox360. Is there anyone out there who can help me to get this to work as i feel like giving up ( main thing is i dont want to lose any quality of the dvd)

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Think my head is going to explode if i dont find a answer to this.
1. Ihave a Xbox 360 in one room connected to a vista pc in another.
2. I have ripped my dvd collection onto a external hard drive.
What i want to do is stream my dvds from Media centre to my xbox360. Is there anyone out there who can help me to get this to work as i feel like giving up ( main thing is i dont want to lose any quality of the dvd)

What format were the DVDs ripped to (single VOB files/ISO file/Video TS folder)?

probedb

Banned
I'm pretty sure you can just plugin an external USB drive to the 360. You need WMP11 (which should be in Vista) then make sure you setup Sharing and make sure the relevant ports on your firewall have been opened.

phil-uk

I'll have to double check this from home as I haven't done this for a while but from memory you can do it like this:

1) rip your DVDs into their normal Audio TS and Video TS folders as 1 vob file.

2) create a shared folder for your mpeg movies which the xbox can stream from eg. C:\Xbox-DVDs

3) create a hardlink using fsutil to the vob file. eg. fsutil hardlink create starwars.mpg starwars.vob (using correct paths of course)

Fsutil is a command line tool and if you have NTFS you can create another hardlink to the vob file, so you will have just one file but more than one link to it, so it will exist in more than one directory but only use up the space of one file. You can do a google search on fsutil for more info or do fsutil hardlink create /? from a command prompt for instructions

4) your xbox 360 can stream mpg files but not vob files so you create the hardlink with the name movie.mpg instead of movie.vob but since vob files are in essence mpeg2 files anywhere it will work.

5) point your xbox to the shared C:\Xbox-DVDs folder where you should have your mpg files eg. C:\Xbox-DVDs\starwars.mpg

I think that was all there was too it... I'll test it tonight to make sure I didn't miss out any steps, good luck.

JoeW

Standard Member
You can install mymovies onto the Vista machine, and also transcode360
this enables you to stream VIDEO_TS folders as it converts on the fly, I have this working fine (although slowly as I am using wireless for the moment)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom