Xbox 360 sound via pc to speakers

greenpen

Standard Member
I just bought some logitech x-540's for my pc and they sound great. i am thinking of re-buying a xbox 360 and want to be able to use the new speakers with the xbox 360. The logitech's can be connected to the xbox but only with red/white cables not with a toslink because the speakers do not support it.

The speakers have a matrix mode that takes stereo sound and simulates surround sound but obviously this is not true surround sound. The speakers do not have an encoder and the pc sound card enables surround sound. So I was thinking would it be possible to connect the xbox audio to the pc soundcard let that encode the surround sound and then from there output the sound on the logitech's?
Would this give me the desired results?
Thanks
Oh I have not yet bought a soundcard and am currently using an onboard one.

Last edited:

Mikepriester

Distinguished Member
Dude. That sounds quite complicated and may not be possible. Have you thought about some headphones? Some turtle beach maybe, or just a cheap amp/speakers.

Mikepriester

Distinguished Member
Right, ignore me. I re-read your thread. It actually sounds quite easy, whether the sound card can do that i'm not sure. What sound card will you be buying? Or are you sticking with the on board one?

greenpen

Standard Member
I think I will be buying a new sound card but I wasn't sure whether this would actually be possible. In order to do this I think the sound card would need to accept a Toslink cable and will need to encode dolby onboard before sending the surround sound onto the speakers.

There are souncards that can take Toslink and encode dolby onboard but will what I want to do work in practice?

Perhaps this soundcard

What does this mean:
'... it also features onboard Optical I/O and real-time Dolby Digital encoding for single cable connectivity to your surround sound decoder'

'On-board optical I/O with Dolby Digital real-time encoding, for single cable connection to your surround sound decoder'

thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom