Xbox 360 sound (and sky+)



This is the back of my 5.1 surround sound system. When I had my ps2, it was connected to my sky+ box via scart. My sky+ box was then connected to the surround sound system via the two wires in the TV in bit. Because of this my sky worked through the system when it was on, and when it was off my PS2 worked through this sound system too. I'm assuming this is because it went PS2 - sky+ (via scart) and then sky+ to sound system (via two wires) and the sound is travelling through the whole system.

My question is this. I still want to use Sky+ with my surround sound system so I don't really want to remove those two wires, but I also want my xbox 360 to use it too. I have a HDTV so the video will go straight into that. However I do not use the TV's sound so will I be able to plug any of the wires into the sound system (mabe into the VCR in/AUX ports)? If not, will I be able to do what I did with my PS2 and plug the 360 sound cables into my sky+ box somehow? I'd rather not do this as it means I cannot use sky and xbox at the same time.
 

kRAyZZed

Standard Member
Michaelknell said:


This is the back of my 5.1 surround sound system. When I had my ps2, it was connected to my sky+ box via scart. My sky+ box was then connected to the surround sound system via the two wires in the TV in bit. Because of this my sky worked through the system when it was on, and when it was off my PS2 worked through this sound system too. I'm assuming this is because it went PS2 - sky+ (via scart) and then sky+ to sound system (via two wires) and the sound is travelling through the whole system.

My question is this. I still want to use Sky+ with my surround sound system so I don't really want to remove those two wires, but I also want my xbox 360 to use it too. I have a HDTV so the video will go straight into that. However I do not use the TV's sound so will I be able to plug any of the wires into the sound system (mabe into the VCR in/AUX ports)? If not, will I be able to do what I did with my PS2 and plug the 360 sound cables into my sky+ box somehow? I'd rather not do this as it means I cannot use sky and xbox at the same time.
Well the cable with the xbox360 comes with component and composite connectors, you could most likely hook up the component to your HDTV and the composite audio (L/R) to the composite inputs i see in the picture labelled vcr/aux

That should work?

In the attached image, the first 3 connectors (going from left-right) are your component video, the next 2 are your composite audio and the final is your bog standard composite video connector
 

Attachments

kRAyZZed said:
Well the cable with the xbox360 comes with component and composite connectors, you could most likely hook up the component to your HDTV and the composite audio (L/R) to the composite inputs i see in the picture labelled vcr/aux

That should work?

In the attached image, the first 3 connectors (going from left-right) are your component video, the next 2 are your composite audio and the final is your bog standard composite video connector
Does that mean I will use 3 cables for video (in my HDTV) and 2 for sound (in my sound system) leaving 1 cable spare?
 

kRAyZZed

Standard Member
Michaelknell said:
Does that mean I will use 3 cables for video (in my HDTV) and 2 for sound (in my sound system) leaving 1 cable spare?
yes because the cable is a dual purpose cable, it has the connectors for people without a HDTV, and the connectors for people with a HDTV, eg if you dont have HDTV you would only use the last 3 connectors (2 audio and 1 video)
 

Trending threads

Top Bottom