Xbox 360 Slim wont read games anymore

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by joeac, Mar 10, 2013.

1. joeac

joeac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi guys

My xbox 360 slim wont read disks anymore, I put the disc in and it says 'Disc is unreadable. Please clean with soft cloth' I have tried it with 5 games and it all always says the same thing. If its not the DVD's motherboard I would like to swap it out for a new dvd drive.

Can someone explain to me the whole process I would need to do to get the DVD drive to function again. In case the issue is the PCB on the old DVD drive, what are my options? as i understand the old PCB is required to be placed onto the new drive

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. joeac

joeac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    More research suggests that if the PCB is faulty then I need to put the old key onto the new drive? Could anyone give me a step by step on how to do this please?

The exact problem here is that as soon as a game goes to load it says 'disc is unreadable, please clean disc' is this more likely to be a problem with one of the drives components such as the laser or the DVDs motherboard? If it were not to be the motherboard I could easily swap it over to the new drive but if I do discover it is the motherboard what could I do about it?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. joeac

joeac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Can anyone please help?

4. Harry Clayworth

Harry Clayworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could try a lens cleaning disc as it could just be the laser is dirty (it probs wont be the case but worth a try at least)

5. sajm27

sajm27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If cleaning the discs and the lens does not work, it could well be that you need a new laser in your DVD drive. I had the same problem and fitted a new laser which fixed it.

6. bernado

bernado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    An unlikely fix of the same problem for me was to clear the cache. Worth a try in case you haven't already started other hardware related fixes