xbox 360 slim and 2.5" hdd, has anyone done it?

Taz69

Hi all,

I was looking to buy a 360 slim 4gb for the matt finish, however I would like to add a hdd to the unit, say 320/500gb can this be done and how would I prepare the hdd to be regonised by the 360?

Any tips welcome.
Thanks

Dinky Dragon

Yes it can be done but it involves a little bit of modding.

Unfortunately on the Xbox forums we cant talk about that here :( A google search will point you in the right direction matey.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member

turk3y

Does it? its mimiking microsoft "hardware" effectivly using an unlicensed 3rd party device, seems no different than say Datels Action replay on the PS2 thats not an official pressed Sony disk but still boots only by pretending to be a real one, only Datel did the trickery for you than, and I am not sure any of them have been officially licensed and I guess all of them have exploited every system they where released for to some extent.

Would be good to see these sorts of things properly tested, but alas the closest thing was the ODD modder's case that was thrown out of court.

back on the subject, has anyone found a decent 3rd part caddy? I have an only 360 hdd to stick in my arcade, its driving me up the wall I cant transfer my saves and the fact they changed the caddy so I cant even plug it in and leave it looking all ugly. the DX one looks a bit too cheap and nasty.

beasty54

Regular style HDDs fit physically, but aren't signed to use on the 360 and so won't work. But ways to get around this aren't up for discussion here, as it involves copyright circumvention.
Does it? its mimiking microsoft "hardware" effectivly using an unlicensed 3rd party device
Its to do with certain files you need to copy from an official HDD to the unoffical HDD to make the 360 recognize it, hence the copyright circumvention.

back on the subject, has anyone found a decent 3rd part caddy? I have an only 360 hdd to stick in my arcade, its driving me up the wall I cant transfer my saves and the fact they changed the caddy so I cant even plug it in and leave it looking all ugly. the DX one looks a bit too cheap and nasty.
Why do you need a caddy? Take the HDD from your old 360 and remove it from the housing, it fits nicely into the slim as long as you find the right size rubber feet (or something similar) to stick to the underside of the HDD to stop it from stressing the connector. Ive had mine like this since it was released and have had no problems.

Last edited:

Trending threads

Top Bottom