Xbox 360 -> Samsung LE32R41BD with VGA cable

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Godster, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Godster

Godster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys just wanted to double-check before my 360 arrived (fingers crossed) how this should be connected to my Samsung via the VGA cable.

Before you say through the VGA port dumbass, i know that! My question is with reference to the red and white stereo audio cabling for sound via the VGA cable.

One of the reasons I have opted for the VGA cable is that I am currently using the components on the TV for my standard xbox, which is and will continue to be used as a media centre.

Looking on the back of the TV I cannot ascertain exactly, with the above in mind, where the stereo leads from the VGA cable should locate.

Anyone know?

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I wasn't aware that the VGA cable actually also had seperate audio cables. It does have an optical digital output connection to use with a surround sound reciever/amp. The audio input on the Samsung for the VGA connection is a single phono input. If the VGA cable does actually have seperate stereo audio phono leads then you would need to buy an adapter cable from somewhere like Maplins to convert them into a single phono connection. However as far as I can tell the VGA cable only has the optical digital out.

3. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    and if you haven't got anywhere to plug the optical lead into at the moment you really need to get a separate set of 5.1 speakers.....you dont know what your missing.

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    Looking at the manual for the TV, it looks like the VGA sound input (labelled PC-IN Audio) is a standard 3.5mm stereo in, so you'll need a Y-splitter (2x RCA female to 3.5mm stereo). Maplins or similar will sort you out for 2 or 3 quid.

Of course you should be going for 5.1, but this will tide you over 'til then ;)

5. Godster

Godster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone else confirm this for the Samsung LE32R41BD? Would be quite dissapointing if this is the case as i've yet to acquire a surround system as yet.

Moogle, literally every image released of the VGA shows the VGA connection and red and white stereo jacks. Not seen anything of the optical connection as yet. If this is the case, surely they cannot expect everyone to have to buy adaptors additionally if you don't have a surround system which supports an optical connection?

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    [​IMG]

I have the same TV as you Godster, you'll be fine!

7. Godster

Godster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lorenzini, how do you intend to connect this to yours? I'm assuming you have a surround system in place from your comments?

Guess i'll have to purchase an adaptor as suggested for the time being.

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    Yeah, I got myself a 5.1 system at the same time as the TV. It's a Logitech Z-5500 that I got for £200 (new). Recommended. You can see a bit more of my set-up that I did in my review of the LE32R41BD here. I'll be using component for my 360, as I'm led to believe there's no need to use VGA from a picture quality point of view, so I'll save myself the £20.

9. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Looks like it does have two seperate audio leads. Like I said in my previous post you will need to get a "Y" adapter to convert them into the single input audio connection on the Samsung from somewhere like Maplins. Personally I've got a surround sound reciever so I'm going to use the optical digital sound connection.

10. Batch

Batch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    University: Lancaster, Home: Cambridgeshire
    Ratings:
    +200
    Do you have a link to the Y adapter?

Thanks

Batch

11. Godster

Godster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check on ebay Batch, picked one up for £2 including postage this afternoon!

12. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Maplins. It's difficult to tell from their web site which is the right one. I think it's one of these two.

One

Two

13. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    It's definitely not the second one of those, and the first looks like they used the wrong picture and doesn't say if the RCAs are female. I'm unsure if it's either. I can't seem to see one on that site...? :confused:

14. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  15. Godster

Godster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly what I have on order for this purpose.

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I'm pretty sure they sell it in their stores as I have one and IIRC I bought it from Maplins.

17. Chris White

Chris White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you think the vga cable will give a better image with the 360 vs. component? Because of the 1:1 pixel ratio?

Or are you lot sticking with the component leads?

18. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've posted on this before. I think the VGA cable will give a superior picture because of lack of scaling. The component socket will accept a 720p signal and scale it to the set. The vga port accepts a resolution and then displays that resolution pixel for pixel. If you feed it a 1024 X 768 it will display that picture as is, you will get black borders on the side. if you supply it with a 1366X768 it will match exactly.

Now some people have said this wont happen, I am guessing it will, the 360 has the power to output this resolution and 720X1280 (720p) is very similar to 768X1366.

Anyways, time will tell.

19. Chris White

Chris White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, i dont want black borders!

720p and xbox softmodded seems to fill the screen via componet!

Pc via vga seems to fill the screen!

ill wait for some one to test and then ,aybe purchase on their advice!

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    It doesn't make any difference to PQ IMO. My DC looks just the same through my PJ connected via VGA (PQ wise) as my X-Box via HD pack with component leads. Both VGA and Component are analogue sources. HD via component (720p) outputs 1280 x 720 which is the exact resolution of my PJ's panels. Why is 1:1 pixel mapping not obtained via component?

21. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It depends on the display too. Im pretty sure the VGA input on my LCD gets scaled just the same as the component does. Also, i seriously doubt the Xbox360 will allow the output of 1366x768. More likely just the standard HD resolutions.

Not that it makes any difference to me, i cant see any degredation in picture when the LCD is scaling 720p. It looks bloody great. If it can scale 576i via RGB scart pretty damn well, 720p should be a walk in park?

22. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As far as I undestand it 720p broadcasts a signal that is 720X1280, then your tv sclaes that to fit your TV. If you have a projector that is 720X1280 then no scaling will take place but if you have a 768X1366 LCD then the picture gets scaled up to fit the TV. Whether the vga cable will do any scaling is yet to be confirmed. My guess is that seeing as the 360 is nice and powerfull and user friendly I think you will be able to choose between resolutions as long as they are at least 720X1280 and 16:9 widescreen format. Even if the VGA cable is just a replacement for the component it might be usefull for connecting up to monitors and freeing up a component socket. The reason I feel that the 360 will output a 768X1366 singal is because samsung are the official supplier of their lcd's and thats the res they run at.

23. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Doesnt it depend on the games in any event? If they are set to run at 720p, then they will get scaled whatever happens. Either by the display (assuming your using a 1366x768 panel with the 360 set to output 720p) or by the GPU in the xbox360 (if it was possible to output 1366x768 from the 360).

AIUI the games are designed to be compatable with 720p or 1080i, not 768p.
    Just a thought.