Xbox 360 s to Monitor + sound system - Few options, which is best

lersince1991

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I need to connect my 360 to my monitor as I dont have a tv or space for one.

At the moment I have an Acer p223w which has 1x dvi-d and 1x vga inputs. I use the VGA frequently for my macbook pro as an external monitor (why I bought it). So this leaves the DVI-d port free. I also need to plug the xbox into my hi-fi separates system. (Amp with RCA connections -> B&W 685 speakers).

So I have a few options and was wondering if you lot had any preferences.
I dont want to be swapping cables round, I dont think I'm the the market any time soon to upgrade my amp to one with optical or upgrade my monitor to one with hdmi.

I currently own the 250gb 360 and have some cables from my old xbox including an official vga cable. The xbox will be in a cabinet and need a 3m video cable at least, but next to the amp so sound cables need to be short.

1. Xbox Video - HDMI - DVI-D 3m £5.49
Xbox Sound - official 360 sound adapter using RCA - RCA to RCA cable - amp £6

2. video - hdmi to hdmi, + hdmi to dvi-d adapter. this gives me a hdmi cable that I can actually use when I upgrade.
sound - same as above

3. use the vga cable I have, extend the vga to 3m to reach my screen, but then use a vga switch to switch between laptop input and xbox input to the monitor.

4. trim the standard def plug that comes with the new xbox to plug in my hdmi to dvi lead and use the modified cable for sound.

p.s. Is the new version standard def cable thats included still work perfectly if I trim the plug down to fit hdmi and the xbox av connection in? I saw the mod that used the old xbox cable.

more notes -

I'm thinking about getting a freeview hd box and connecting it up with a HDMI - DVI-d lead. If I get one I will have to keep swapping cables which annoys me -_-

I want a solution that works for a decent price, minimal fuss and good quality.

Is there any difference in quality between these?
I dont really think there will be?

Thanks for your input.
Luke

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I had a VGA switch solution which worked fine.

I'm now selling my VGA switch and cable as I don't have a 360 in the office anymore. Let me know if interested and I'll set up a classified advert in the relevant forum.

Sent from my mobile device using the AVForums app

Baggies, how much for the switch box?

Ok I've narrowed it down to 2 choices. Any difference in quality? What would people recommend?

1. Total £12.50 - 1. Xbox Video - HDMI - DVI-D 3m £5.49
Xbox Sound - official 360 sound adapter using RCA £6 - RCA to RCA cable £1

2. Total £9.29 - 3. use the xbox vga cable I have, extend the vga to 3m to reach my screen £3, but then use a vga switch to switch between laptop input and xbox input to the monitor £6.29

Option 1 uses the hdmi socket so possibly better signal, and gets me the sound adapter which I will be able to use with my hi-fi system for a long time.

option 2 gets me a vga switch box and frees up the dvi-d on my monitor for use with a freeview box if I end up getting one. Down side is that I have another box (switch box) to hide.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom