• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 returned has better graphics?

tokaloshman

Standard Member
I recently got my 360 replaced by Microsoft due to the lovely 3 red light hardware fault, which I thought would be a nitemare-ish experience, but actually wasn't!
I called MS on Tues. 21st Feb. Evening, DHL picked the 360 up the following Monday, and I had my new 360 in my hands on Thursday 2nd March, so all in all, not too bad a wait, although I would have preferred the damn thing to work for longer than 2 months, but anyway....

After hooking the new 360 up, I had initially plugged it into a composite Scart socket, and started a game of COD2. I noticed that I could actually read ALL the text without squinting, so naturally I thought I plugged it into my RGB socket, but on checking, I hadn't!! I then plugged it into the RGB socket, and wOw! The text, the graphics, everything was so, so much clearer and sharper, than I'd ever witnessed on my previous 360! When I walked past houses, tractors etc during the game, I stopped and looked at them because everything had such a huge improvement, and don't even get me started on the smoke graphics! Just perfect!

Has anyone else experienced this with a replaced 360? Or could it be that my previous machine was just not up to scratch and there was a fault with it from day one? I am confused...yet strangely happy? Is that weird?

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
Yip its the Xbox 361 they changed the gfx chip on the faulty consoles ;)

R

rottyman

tokaloshman said:
I recently got my 360 replaced by Microsoft due to the lovely 3 red light hardware fault, which I thought would be a nitemare-ish experience, but actually wasn't!
I called MS on Tues. 21st Feb. Evening, DHL picked the 360 up the following Monday, and I had my new 360 in my hands on Thursday 2nd March, so all in all, not too bad a wait, although I would have preferred the damn thing to work for longer than 2 months, but anyway....

After hooking the new 360 up, I had initially plugged it into a composite Scart socket, and started a game of COD2. I noticed that I could actually read ALL the text without squinting, so naturally I thought I plugged it into my RGB socket, but on checking, I hadn't!! I then plugged it into the RGB socket, and wOw! The text, the graphics, everything was so, so much clearer and sharper, than I'd ever witnessed on my previous 360! When I walked past houses, tractors etc during the game, I stopped and looked at them because everything had such a huge improvement, and don't even get me started on the smoke graphics! Just perfect!

Has anyone else experienced this with a replaced 360? Or could it be that my previous machine was just not up to scratch and there was a fault with it from day one? I am confused...yet strangely happy? Is that weird?

:rotfl: Lmfao classic mate :smashin:

Vini

Prominent Member
using this a fair bit recently. few loonies about tho.

paranoid.gif

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you had a faulty console from the start because the composite cable gives the worst possible quality.

Also, using the scart adapter and plugging it into an RGB Enabled Scart Socket wont do anything to improve the quality because it is still only a composite signal.

shacky

Standard Member
hey friend we got 2 360s in our house, 1 mine upstairs in loft(my hideaway + wifes) and my sons downstairs in livin room, they both hooked up to same tvs, sanyos 28" crts, i did have a tosh 37wlt lcd but was not satisfied with normal tv veiwing on it (crap pic qual), i was very pleased with the hidef pic it produced with the 360 on 720 or 1080 but frankly there is not a big step down to the crts i have , the pic qual is still a1 on these sets, at 1st i thought i would be dissapointed when changing from the hd to crt but there was not much difference at all. a good tv will produce a very good pic...

S

spikerules

shacky said:
hey friend we got 2 360s in our house, 1 mine upstairs in loft(my hideaway + wifes) and my sons downstairs in livin room, they both hooked up to same tvs, sanyos 28" crts, i did have a tosh 37wlt lcd but was not satisfied with normal tv veiwing on it (crap pic qual), i was very pleased with the hidef pic it produced with the 360 on 720 or 1080 but frankly there is not a big step down to the crts i have , the pic qual is still a1 on these sets, at 1st i thought i would be dissapointed when changing from the hd to crt but there was not much difference at all. a good tv will produce a very good pic...

Well I think that CRT's produce the best picture quality atm, but they just dont produce the sharpness that a High res TV can output. Unless you have a HD CRT... but thats as bulky as ANYTHING and you wont get a HD CRT progressive monitor;)

tokaloshman

Standard Member
Indiana Jones said:
Sounds like you had a faulty console from the start because the composite cable gives the worst possible quality.

Also, using the scart adapter and plugging it into an RGB Enabled Scart Socket wont do anything to improve the quality because it is still only a composite signal.

Yeah, but no, but yeah.... I bought an RGB Scart cable for my 360 at Christmas, so I'm definitely getting an RGB signal from the 360.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Ah, you never actually said you had bought the RGB Scart cable :rolleyes:

My brother is currently doing what you were originally doing, he has the RGB Scart Cable plugged into a non RGB Enabled socket so is only getting a composite picture. I told him he should change it over but he has the DVD player plugged into the RGB socket and cant be bothered to keep swapping them over, I suggested a switcher but as yet he hasent got one.

tokaloshman

Standard Member
He should even TRY it, so he knows the difference.

My problem is that my TV only has 1 RGB socket and 1 composite, and I have an AV amp, so every other SCART (DVD, SKY+, video etc) goes through the amp, and one scart lead comes from the amp to the tv. Unfortunately, I cannot plug my 360 scart through my av amp, as there's no more room, so I either use the free composite port on my tv, or unplug the av amp scart socket from my tv and connect the 360 lead. It's a pain in the ass, but I think it's worth it, just for the difference in clarity while I'm gaming!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom