Xbox 360 reductions towards Xmas?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Karvel, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Karvel

Karvel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I've never had a console since the PS2 (seems like aaaages now), so I want to get onto the current generation this year. :) But I've heard of people in the past year(s) or so getting Xboxes for £99 and such - there doesn't seem to much reductions this year? Have enough been sold thus far that retailers don't need to discount it enough, so I probably end up paying £150 for it? Not that I mind particularly, just curious!

Thanks x

2. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    The 360 is in quite high demand at the moment with Kinect being released, so there's a shortage of good deals right now.

As you mention paying £150 it sounds like you're going for the 4GB model. Amazon are currently doing that model with a free HDMI cable and game (a choice of The Sims 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1 or Medal of Honor Limited Edition) for £145 delivered. I think that's the best deal on at the moment now that the Sainsbury's deal has ended.

3. mazjo

mazjo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Makro manchester had some old stock last week that was cheaper than £150 i'm sure. They do come up, sometimes...

4. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    By relaunching the 360 MS reversed the plummeting RRP, and Kinect has made it a 'must have' for a younger/casual audience. By adding an extra £5 (please don't start a flame war that the wifi cost £6 and not £5, and that the touch buttons are twice the price of the old buttons) to manufacturing costs for the 'slim' the console went almost back to launch prices so you will be waiting a long time (the imminent release of neXtBOX) before they drop to £99 again.

5. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    The RRP of the Xbox 360 Arcade was £159.99. The RRP of the Elite was £199.99.

The RRP of the 4GB Xbox 360 S is £149.99. The RRP of the 250GB 360 S is £199.99.

UK launch prices: -

Xbox 360 Core = £209.99
    Xbox 360 20 GB = £279.99

I dunno where you get your information from. You seem to make a lot of it up.

6. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    The RRP of the Arcade was £129.99 and the 60GB £169.99 at one point, MS then increased the RRP at the time when the Elite had relaunch removing the HDMI cable and Optical dongle prior to the launch of the Super Elite and the subsequent ditching of the 60GB SKU.

People seem to have forgotten the 360 plummeted in price prior to Summer 2009 when they increased prices and removing cheaper SKU the most noticeable was the Arcade gaining £30.

You are correct about the Slim RRP, although at launch I'm sure it was closer to £230, that may have been various bundles that retailers forced you to buy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    The Elite SKU was never £169.99. The Arcade RRP was increased from £129.99 to £159.99.

Either way, the RRP never "plummeted" and it wasn't reversed with the introduction of the Slim. The 250GB model has the same RRP as an Elite, only the Slim includes wireless N and a hard drive over twice the size of the Elite. The 4GB has an RRP £10 lower than that of the Arcade, despite having 8 times the memory and wireless N included as well. Neither console is anywhere near "launch prices".

There have been some great deals on the Slim models. The 4GB was available for weeks at Sainsbury's with 2 current games for £149.99. The 250 GB has been available with 2 current games for £195.

8. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    If you factor in decreased manufacturing costs each unit is many times more expensive. 250gb HDDs are cheaper than 120gb drives, flash memory is cheaper, wireless costs pennies to add and the new CPU/GPU are much cheaper than the old units cost to produce.

The lack of HD cables in box also means that the units cost more for the user and less to produce.

Perhaps plummeted was the wrong word, and we will have to see what the VAT increase in January does the the MS pricing policy.

9. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Many times more expensive? :rotfl:

Post the full costs for an Xbox 360 Arcade package. That has to include manufacturing costs, packaging costs, shipping and storage costs, and all associated taxes. Then do the same for the 4GB Xbox 360 Slim. If you can't do that, then you cannot make the claim that each unit is "many times more expensive".

Post the full breakdown of costs for these claims too. If wireless costs pennies, how many pennies? How much cheaper is the new CPU/GPU? How much did R&D cost in developing the new CPU/GPU? How much did it cost to set up production lines to manufacture it? Obviously, you've got all the knowledge of the costs in order to be able to make your claims, so please post them up.

If you want to keep it simple, post the cost of manufacturing the 360 Arcade and how much profit per unit MS made. Then do the same for the 4GB Slim, which is sort of the Arcade equivalent. If you can't even do that, then really you should retract your claims, or at least think a bit more before you post.

10. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    OK, I will then.

The Arcade cost MS approximately £43.36 to produce, the Slim 4GB costs £35.47

The Elite was £67.89, the 250GB £55.67.

If you want to be pathetic I'll be pathetic. It is obvious that if MS went to the expense of redesigning the new console it is cheaper to produce, wireless chipsets can be purchased wholesale for around £2, N chipsets a tiny bit more with MS adding it to join the 'me too camp'.

At 3-4 years into the Xbox's lifetime the console was £99 officially (I know because this is when I got mine), this was when Halo 2 launched so MS had reduced the RRP to that point when it's biggest title was releasing. The PS2 was around this price in 2004 to, and the Gamecube was about £69 (although retailers couldn't get shot of them fast enough).
    Console manufacturers have historically taken hits on hardware because software is where money is made. At launch the 360 was sold at a loss, negative profits, so any price the 360 is currently is MANY TIMES more expensive because MS are now making profit on it rather than giving it to customers below cost. You'd never expect MS to lose money on a console at this point in it's life, but you would be expecting them to sell only a small point above cost (say 25%) to attract as many customers as they can away from competitors. With Christmas around the corner for a console that is 5 years old the price would be lower had MS not made it desirable by re-releasing it.

MS are trying to sell every existing 360 owner a brand new console, and I admit that I got one to, by producing an awful design for 4 years and then after a large percentage of owners have been through 3/4 console finally redesigning it properly.

I'm not criticising MS, this is a brilliant business strategy and I believe it must be an attempt to recoup some of the cost RRoD added. MS are a business trying to make as much profit as possible, and they are using the Apple strategy of constantly re-releasing the same product with enough difference to make your wealthier user base buy it again. When the Falcon released people upgraded, when Jasper released people upgraded, and with the S (and it's special Kinect port) people are upgrading and desiring.

There is no need for MS to lower costs when you have your existing user base re-buying your product, you lower the price when the potential customer base is unlikely to buy your product unless it is cheap.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  11. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    I'm not being pathetic. I'm asking you to back up your claims and you can't. That, combined with your irrelevant and factually incorrect other posts makes your contributions to this thread worthless. It's more trademark mattclarkie whining and trolling.

12. Earlyflash

Earlyflash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Now now boys, play nice.

13. Jisonga

Jisonga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Now if you don't mind second hand i think it was either Blockbuster or Gamestation that were doing the pre slim 20GB Xbox's for around £90 - £100 which included a short warranty as well.

Might be worth a look on the net or a phone call to your local branch to see if its still on.

Jason.

14. Jisonga

Jisonga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  15. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,021
    crap price for how old it is, you can pick up elites from time to time for that :)

16. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    Wouldn't touch with yours. I've traded 2 360s to Game that were rotten, and I imagine any 20Gb they have probably wouldn't last 6months.

17. Jisonga

Jisonga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Good point guys i was just trying to work within the budget as mentioned within the topic starter but i guess buying new or as new as you can get would always be worth the extra outlay.

Jason.

18. Peew971

Peew971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +766
    My 360 died today. Should I shop before Xmas or wait for Boxing Day? Don't know if there are deals on consoles usually.

19. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    It depends if you want a Kinect, the bundles are very well priced so if you want one it makes sense to get the bundle, but they are likely to be in short supply and wont decrease in price for a while.

If you don't want a Kinect, the price of 360s is probably not going to be much different even if you wait, the only difference may be the games bundled with it and the trade-in prices of the games.

20. wynnwillo212

wynnwillo212
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    id wait closer to christmas or after

I bought a 4gb slim with mass effect 2, medal of honor and fifa 11 for £158, i sold the games back to gamestation the next day for £69

It means i only paid £89 for a brand new 4gb slim

I went in to gs the other day and they wanted £174.99 for a 4gb slim and only 1 game :eek:

They put the prices up for Christmas and will bring them back down the week before or a couple of days after

I would wait if i where you :thumbsup:

21. Peew971

Peew971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +766
    Thanks to both of you. I actually bought Kinect a week ago, if I had known my 360 would die I would have gone for a bundle. Luckily it was my spare console, only used for streaming, Kinect and family games so I have something to play on. That means I can afford to wait for Boxing Day/January sales and hope for offers.

22. wynnwillo212

wynnwillo212
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    so im not the only person who has more than one 360 {2x jasper elites, 1x 4gb slim :D}

23. Boozehound

Boozehound
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    What imminent release? :confused: All the noises MS are making at the moment suggest the 360 is the main man for the foreseeable future.