XBOX 360 problem with 4:3 DVDs

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by pacnhami, Mar 21, 2006.

1. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone else noticed when you play a dvd which is in 4:3 and you have the console outputting in 576p it stretches the 4:3 to widescreen instead of adding the black bars to each side of the video to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

2. imcarm

imcarm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not noticed this, how are you connecting the 360 (HD) VGA/component, or (SD) RGB Scart/composite?

3. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    component hooked up to a 26" sony lcd apparently when you output progressive through component the tv can not detect whether the signal is widescreen or 4:3 so everything is displayed as widescreen there fore its the dvd player or the 360 in this case which need to add the black bars at each side. i have a sony dvd player where you can select two modes one which outputs in full where the black bars aren't added and the other called normal where they are. My brother noticed it when playing simpsons dvds as this is definately a 4:3 programme and it appears stretched when played on 360

4. Van Dam

Van Dam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Have you tried pressing the zoom button on your remote control to change the aspect ratio of the picture from wide to 4:3 ? This should solve your problem.

5. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah tried this and it works but it means having to keep changing manually.

6. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    "yeah tried this and it works but it means having to keep changing manually."

Bl00dy hell pacnhami, don't strain yourself, eh?:rolleyes:

7. Van Dam

Van Dam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    :rotfl:

8. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its not really a problem but like i say the sony dvd player downstairs has this option and i'm used to not having to change anything, if it wasn't set up like this my mum and dad would just go ahead and watch 4:3 stuff stretched. I guess you can't expect the same dvd functionality from a console as you get from a standalone dvd player

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Is the Sony player connected via component? I thought the auto switching was controlled by one of the scart pins and wasn't handled through a component connection.

You seem to be getting confused about the bars at the side stating that it's up to the 360 to add them. The 360 is showing the black bars or it wouldn't look right when you put your tv to 4:3. All that's happening is your tv isn't automatically switching from the wide setting you have it on for the 360 while playing games.

10. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah the sony dvd player is connected through component. In the dvd player manual it says something along the lines that not all tvs can automatically switch between widescreen and 4:3 with component so the player adds the bars. when you watch a 4:3 dvd on the sony the tv is set to widescreen mode even though black bars are present. If you set the tv to 4:3 mode when playing a 4:3 disc it would look incorrect on screen. The idea is that the tv is always set to wide mode when through component. The dvd player handles the switching not the tv. All i was saming is it would of been a feature they could of added on the xbox 360. When playing old xbox games on the 360 which are in 4:3 and are upscaled to 720p i've noticed that here it adds the black bars as widescreen is the only screen format available when the tv is in 720p or 1080i mode