XBOX 360 Or Sammsung HD 860 Upscaler???

V

vanan2006

Hi currently have a Sammy 32 inch R74 LCD, connected to XBOX 360 via component when watching SD DVD,s the picture is slightly better than my now 3yr old Pioneer home cinema player. If i was to buy a Sammy Dvd Upscaler Hd860 and connect via HDMI will it be better than current 360 Setup?????. Or would i be wasting my xmas beer tokens????????.
Maybe go 4 XBOX 360 HD Drive?????

Hi currently have a Sammy 32 inch R74 LCD, connected to XBOX 360 via component when watching SD DVD,s the picture is slightly better than my now 3yr old Pioneer home cinema player. If i was to buy a Sammy Dvd Upscaler Hd860 and connect via HDMI will it be better than current 360 Setup?????. Or would i be wasting my xmas beer tokens????????.
Maybe go 4 XBOX 360 HD Drive?????

I have the Samsung HD860 and it is very good but for a bit extra you may as well get the HD-DVD player, makes sense. My HD860 will be packed away in the morning as my Toshiba EX1 HD-DVD player arrived this afternoon :)

Don't waste your money on a Samsung.

Just buy a VGA cable; you will get an improvement on the hideous DVD output over Component from the Xbox 360.

Getting the HD-DVD add-on will not improve your DVD playback quality, but obviously you will be able buy HD-DVDs.

So yeah, get the HD-DVD drive and the VGA cable :)

I would definitely get the HD-DVD addon with the X360 rather than an upscaling DVD player.

I have the Samsung HD860 and it is very good but for a bit extra you may as well get the HD-DVD player, makes sense. My HD860 will be packed away in the morning as my Toshiba EX1 HD-DVD player arrived this afternoon :)

Where did you get the Toshiba this early ?

Just buy a VGA cable; you will get an improvement on the hideous DVD output over Component from the Xbox 360.

Getting the HD-DVD add-on will not improve your DVD playback quality, but obviously you will be able buy HD-DVDs.

I disagree, the VGA image looks washed out and dull via the 360 for Movies, the Component looks far better with more vivid colours.

The VGA on my PC on the other hand looks great, don't know why the 360 looks to poor...

Having both an xbox360 and a samsung hd850. The samsung over hdmi on my hdready 45inch tv a hdready dlp projector produces the best piccie buy far. Get the sammy.

I have a Samsung 950 upscaling DVD player over HDMI. I'm not gonna use my 360 drive or the HD-DVD drive for watching standard def movies. Because of the failures of 360's I reckon it's better to give give it less work to do...so I'll stick with my 950 for SD DVD playback.

Thanks everbody for your help. Proberly going to go for Sammy Upscaler tried everywhere for a 360 Hd Drive there like rocking horse S__T. What HDMI Cable do you recommend Play. Com Has Linx 2.4m Luxury 24k Gold Plated HDMI Cable for £9.99 in sale.

Might be worth considering the Oppo 971 upscaling DVD player, £165 at crtprojectors (comes with DVI-HDMI cable). Also new model Oppo 981 for £195.
Have a look in the DVD players forum to see the praise it has been given.

I have the same tv as you mate and found the VGA cable to be a waste of time, not a patch on the component lead.

as for whether to get an upscaler or the hd-dvd player, you can really compare as they both do different things.

:oops: component is by far the best quality, better than vga when it comes to the 360 and HD.

Strange how everyone has wildly different opinions on this. Connected to my Toshiba 37WLT66 games look the same through VGA and I'm getting a massive improvement in the DVD quality.

Some is down to poor set up and some is down to varying capabilities of the hardware it is attached to. Each situation will be different. The former can be dealt with, though surprizingly most don't bother, it is is NOT just a plug a cable in and which is better senario. There is a wealth of other detals that have to be optimised for both VGA and component links but it doesn't take long to get there quickly. The latter (hardware) is a limitation....unless you buy new kit.

:oops: component is by far the best quality, better than vga when it comes to the 360 and HD.
Well firstly this post isn't about HD, the OP is asking about DVD playback.
Secondly, I think you'll find that anyone who has properly calibrated each cable for DVD playback would agree that the VGA cable provides a better picture, if only for it's ability to upscale and avoid overscan. Although IMO DVD playback is rubbish on the XBox 360 no matter what cable you use.
And finally, as Nic Rodes states, it's all down to your equipment and how you have set it up. So just saying Component is best, is quite silly and misleading to other people who are looking for accurate information.

Pretty much, yeah :D

But at least I have explained the reasons for this and have my display listed so at least people can see what equipment I'm using to come to this conclusion.

Also, the OP is using Component and is looking for an improvement in DVD playback, so my comments are slightly more relevant.

Pretty much, yeah :D

But at least I have explained the reasons for this and have my display listed so at least people can see what equipment I'm using to come to this conclusion.

Also, the OP is using Component and is looking for an improvement in DVD playback, so my comments are slightly more relevant.

;) :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom