1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 or PS3

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Ridge, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridge

Ridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I've heard that the Xbox 360 is an inferior product compared to the PS3 is this true? So is it really worth waiting for the PS3 or just getting a Xbox 360 in November. :confused:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Save up some cash, buy X360 this xmas.

Save up more cash, buy PS3 next xmas.

Simple as that! ;)

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Im gonna buy both. PS3 is a long way off :(

4. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Absolutly Right.
    Xbox360 primium model.
    PS3 might be good but only when it is launched atleast and we don't know for sure if it is going to launched in 2006 some people pridict it could be 2007.

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Some people say the 360 is an inferior product to the PS3. Some people say the 360 is a superior product to the PS3. Some people say that X Factor is an entertaining tv program.

None of these statements are true - don't listen to what people say. Read up on the facts, paying attention to the features that matter to you, and make your own mind up.

6. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Not going to buy either on release day. I will wait a couple of months before deciding.

7. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well said.

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    PS3 could be as far away as 2007 so say some sources.

9. Ridge

Ridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that they would launch the PS3 in 2007 only if the Xbox 360 dosen't do very well at launch. (I am probably wrong)

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    so it would be 8 years from 2 to 3? thats a monumental **** up on sonys part dont you think?

Gary

11. wallisj

wallisj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Now they (MS) announced an agressive price-point i would expect sony to get their skates on...they said their console would be expensive and is going to be at least 6 months behind .... i'm buying both i think ... gotta convince wifey to buy me x360 for xmas :)

I think both MS and Sony have actually gone in different directions this generation ... i think sony will be better at physics and AI given the way CELL works

And i have been fooled by sony's eyecandy pre-launch before ... i think we'll see production PS3 at E3 06

12. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    HEARTS AND MINDS......

even though I am firmly in the xbox camp.....I think that the hype around it all is getting a bit :eek:.....

although I am looking forward to the next gen consoles - I have a sneaky feeling that a lot of people are going to get them home, load up thier first game on it and think.........
    "is that it...is that what we've been screaming about for the last few months...." :suicide:
    especially those of us who are also PC gamers.....

PLAYSTATION CAMP
    minds will be won on the hype around specs

MICROSOFT CAMP
    the key battle for hearts in this round will come down to the experiance.....the online multiplayer....the extra media features.....

the catch......who knows yet.... :rolleyes:

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Personally i'm a gamer not an Frames per second, Mips and flops polygon counter!

The gaming experience is so much more than how good a game is technically. I'm sure that the 360 games will be a big rise in quality from X-Box games and the quality will match top end PC stuff for a good year i'd say. The fact of the matter is that who really gives a damn as long as the games are great! I still love the X-Box and think that some of the games on that still look great.

The most exciting bit of the 360 for me is how the online community develops with things like Gotham TV and the Market Place. I'm sure the graphics on the majority of 360 games will be of a high standard and that will do me! The pics of PGR3 look stunning but it's more the gaming experience that excites me.

I think that it's too easy for PC gamers to get hung up on trying to achieve technical brilliance. It's almost like getting a game running maxed out at a good frame rate is more of a game than the actual game itself :eek: . With consoles you don't have to worry about all that and can just get on with enjoying the game. :smashin:

15. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Couldn't agree more!!!

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I've always judged consoles on games, not hardware. The problem is that as time goes on I believe games will increasingly go multi-format (apart from the in-house titles at the respective houses, of course). Therefore, to an extent, hardware does come into play. I think it's quite clear for quite a few of us on this forum that the fondness for the xbox is given as it is probably the console of choice for current multi-format titles. Given that PS3 is at least a year away on these shores, it is quite conceivable that the PS3 will pick up the 'console of choice' for the next-generation. Just my 2 pence.

17. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well if i can get the same gameplay and graphics as a £2000 PC for £200
    that will do me for a start.

18. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    So there is no point in either reading, or contributing to, this thread, then?

Nick

19. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Pretty much... I'm only here as I love watching the fanboys dig themselves holes. :D

20. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Armed with big shovel...................Just buy a 360, no ifs no buts, if quality games are what you want, then a 360 is what you need, come november it will be the best platform for playing games, period.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Some people may be more bothered about the hardware than the games but not me. I personally felt that the technically inferior PS2 was the console to own until the likes of PES4 and Forza came out for the X-Box. I also think that if a multi console format is to continue then there must be a good amount of exclusive games on each format. If all titles go multi-format then you may as well just have one console or the same console in a different case, with different branding, controllers etc. People would then buy the console of their chosen brand, perhaps because they prefer a controller or the build quality of a certain console.

As things stand though, I will buy whichever consoles have games on them that I wish to play. The 360 already has a great games line up (for me) which is why I will be getting one. If the PS3's line up is also good (whilst offering something different then I will get that as well. :thumbsup:

22. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Even though the Xbox is going to be out first, I am pretty sure I am going for a playstation 3. That Xbox controller :( :suicide:

23. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142

huh...have you seen the ps3 boomerang... :eek:

one of the reasons many people give for the Japanese market not liking the xbox was due to the size of the console and original controller......
    i thought it was amazing that Sony would make that same mistake on their home turf..... :suicide:

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I'm just glad something new is finally coming out. The gap between pc and console is massive but with these next gen consoles this shouldnt be so any more.

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I actually think the xbox Large controller is the best controller I have used. Very comfortable. (I do have big hands tho) :D

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well we wont know untill they are both available and developers have time to get some decent games out. Personally I am going to get both.

But its very doubtful we will get the PS3 until Autumn / Christmas 2006, 12 months after the 360. Thats a pretty long wait.

Its a bit silly to say the 360 is inferior before its released. Most developers seem to be saying the consoles have similar capabilities and the 360 is now getting HD Dvd. Most of the early talk about the PS3 was because of Blu Ray, they arent using proven techonology and cant even build a decent DVD / CD drive assembly.

Which makes me a little nervous particularly if the PS3 is going to cost the reported £399.

27. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Harris is that true? is there an official press relerase that states it?

it would seem mad to release a console then change the spec within 3 months - will there be an upgrade for users who have bought the 360 obn release? this seems to be a real can of worms.

Gary

28. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I also love that controller! It feels the most comfortable. The smaller ones always feel short at the bottom.

The new 360 controller looks a lot like the 2nd XBox controller released in Japan.

Any hoo, I am looking forward to the 360 and hope that technicaly the games do impress.

A lot of you say that its the games that matter, but when you really think about it, the games are sort of the same from one platform to the other.
    Its all just franchise games with nicer graphics.

IF that is the case then the hardware DOES matter cos its the hardware that makes those graphics look nicer.

After all, PGR 1 is good enough wouldnt you say? Why bother getting the second game? Mainly coz it looks nicer!

You may feel like saying "it has more cars and tracks, and musc" but theres no reason they couldnt have made all that stuff downloadable for the first game. The same way we got downloadable tracks for PGR2.

Now, What is the main reason for you all wanting to buy the 3rd PGR game? I would say beacuse technicaly it looks nicer. That is what "hi def" gaming is all about right?

Higher resolutions and sharper graphics. With more expansive games.

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There was quite a bit of discussion about this a month or so back. Apparently MS have come out and said that HDDVD will now be included on the 360 if not on release further down the line. They have already done the deal with Toshiba for the technology by all accounts.

If its not available on release they have said existing owners will receive a free upgrade when it is available. Of course details on this are currently sketchy.

Its possible the Dvd drive will be interchangable like the HD ? It might be that it has the tehnology from launch anyway, it might be why they left it so long to go into production.

Do some searching on this topic there were a few threads on it a while back.

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    AML

I agree, for me its all about good graphics. Of course good graphics doesnt mean anything if the game is poo. I have stopped playing my xbox as I really cant put up with the aging graphics, I am using my pc instead and this has spoilt me. I used to think games like Rainbow 6 were amazing but not any more. Not after the likes of Half Life 2, Far Cry etc.

I am really looking forward to playing on Live with a new xbox and games. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.