Xbox 360 or PS3 as a media centre?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Lobo, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have recently installed twonkymedia on my NAS storage device and am looking to get rid of my PC sitting under my HDTV (want to move the PC into the office).

I currently have an Xbox 360 however am considering buying a PS3 to sue as the media centre instead, as I would get the added bonnus of Blu-Ray.

My question is, which is better for use as a media centre considering the fact I will be streaming from the NAS using twonkymedia and mainly playing videos?

Specifically in terms of:

1. Formats supported (DVD VOBs, .mkv, mp4, mpeg2 and divx essential)
    2. User interface
    3. Web browser (will I be able to access BBC iplayer etc easily?)

thanks

2. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    I've got both a PS3 and a 360. Here I my comments;

- In my views the PS3 is a better media player. Wireless streaming has been fine with both, no lagging or stuttering.

- Setup was easier with the PS3.

- Neither can play mkv files natively, you'll need to convert them. The other formats you mentioned all play on the PS3. Not sure if Xbox 360 supports mp4 though.

- With the divx/xvid files I have they are a bit better when played on the ps3 for some reason.

- 360 doesn't have a web browser, but the PS3 does. But for now, you can't use BBC iPlayer on the ps3.

- Much much prefer the user interface of the PS3 over the 360's.

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Please don't post the thread in the wrong forum. This belongs in the general PS3 forum. Moving there.

4. Germinator

Germinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Personally IMHO the PS3 is better, for starters you can take your media files and copy them onto the PS3 hard drive, something you cannot do with the 360, well apart from ripping music.

Upscaling on the PS3 is better than the 360.

You can upgrade the PS3 hard drive to a larger volume, but with the 360 you have to buy MS own product.

The PS3 and 360 can be fussy with some DIVX, but defo the PS3 is better.

5. breadbun

breadbun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    For video playback in terms of file formats, I think the 360 wins here. It plays back the vast majority of videos i have in the divx/xvid formats, whereas the PS3 refuses to play a fair chunk of my collection. This is quite disappointing as I would much prefer to use the PS3 for many of the reaosns people have mentioned above.

6. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I would just like to add that DVD .IFO files (Video_TS folders) are not supported atm, even by converting them.

However .VOB files play fine

7. Emperor M

Emperor M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true. Although PS3 is a lot quieter, has a better user interface and can play Blu Ray. The 360 in terms of XVID and DIVX is a million miles ahead and if you are considering using either console to stream these formats then its the XBOX all the way. For everything else the PS3 wins.

8. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,733
    I'm still having trouble getting my head around the replies on this one.

Perhaps others can enlighten me?

(I have both consoles by the way)

The 360 has (in effect) Windows Media Centre built in, nice blue screen, easy on the eyes, all in one environment (as it were) plays tons of video formats, allows you to browse around them nice and easy, go to music and it shows all your album art nicely, selecting the image of your album takes you to it, can see slideshows of photo's with nice thumbnails etc.

All in all (like on a PC) it's a smooth and polished environment for media playback.

On the PS3 (from what I've seen so far) you have the main screen with it's row of icons. where you have 3 icons. Music, Photo, Video.

You select from these and connect to a media server, where you then see (incorrectly) the folder for the other categories also.

Say I'm in Photo, I also see the Music and Video files (which will refuse to play if I try as I'm under the Photo icon/area)

From here, I can browse the folder, (folders on screen) if I browse the MUSIC area, I don't see the album art. And under the VIDEO area it plays back very few of the video clips from the PC (where the 360 plays back about 95% of them)

Now unless I'm missing something, the PS3 just looks like a browser and player, where the 360 looks like a whole multimedia environment.

Unless I'm missing something big time here?

I'd LOVE the PS3 to be better in this dept.

Why is everyone saying the PS3 is so much better?
    Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

===== EDIT======

Just to add, I know this is the PS3 area, and lot of "Personal opinions" but I'm just being honest here.

I'd love to find out I'm missing something in the PS3 and someone can tell me, where I'm going wrong.

But (currently) it does feel the PS3 just has 3 icons and you browse folder and play things.
    Whereas the 360 has the whole "Media Centre" environment which plays and presents things in a better way.

Deff something Sony could improve.

If nothing else, let us see album art and play more file formats.
    Oh, and block from view folders not relevant to the area you are in. (I don't need to see Music and Video folders when I'm under the Photo area on the PS3)

9. SHOOTIST1971

SHOOTIST1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm using MediaLink on the Mac and I can see my Album art, iTunes playlists, iPhoto library and play every DivX and Xvid files I've tried.

Maybe it's not the PS3 that's the problem, but the PC, or should I say, MS OS ;)

10. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    The PS3 plays the same file formats the 360 does, and supports disc art, so don't really know what you're complaining about, that you can't view photos in the video tab?

For what it's worth it would be PS3 every time for me simply because of the noise level, anything else is a bonus.

11. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,733
    Interesting.

So what am I doing wrong?

On the PS3 I may browse to a folder of videos (sitting on my PC) and I get 1 thumbnail and most others are just spinning circles, that error if I select them.

On the 360 (Media Centre) I get thumbnails of almost all the videos which pretty much all play fine.

Would it be that It's Media Player 11 that's on my PC, and they need transcoding for use on the PS3?

Yes, of course, the PS3 has BluRay and is MUCH quieter. I'd 100% agree with that. but I'm just taking about the video/photo/music streaming aspect.

12. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Can the PS3 play music whilst browsing photos yet?

Personally I prefer the 360 via the Media Centre interface for streamed music, but the PS3 is really, really useful with it's card readers and digital photos.

I would also say the CD playback of the PS3 is superb, as the SACD playback.

In summary (for me)...

360 for streaming
    PS3 for anything "local" (can't comment on DVD playback as I have a Japanese console)

13. Ultimate123

Ultimate123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    In terms of media the PS3 is definately better.

14. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Yes, read the General Q&A's section in this guide; http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681190

The Xbox 360 is a media extender, so if you want to experience the Windows Media Centre experience you need to have a Windows Media Centre PC for the Xbox 360 to connect to.

So as the OP wants to get rid of his PC I still feel the PS3 has a better interface. Both consoles essentially display a list, but for me the PS3 list is nicer.

15. Joby

Joby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had mine for almost a year and it could always do that. Viewing slideshows while listening to music is great, really impressive feature, as the slideshow visualisations (e.g. putting photos in 'negatives' and 'Polaroids') are such a high quality.

16. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Cheers and since the OP is indeed going to remove his PC then the PS3 is the sensible option.

17. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Not being able to shuffle photos on the PS3 is a bit sad. Also the song titles being permanently on the screen and not fading in and out as the xb does is a bit naff. I know you can turn them off, but the xb wins here. Sure sony will make it better in time. -I hope.

18. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,733
    As you say:

The Xbox 360 is a media extender, so if you want to experience the Windows Media Centre experience you need to have a Windows Media Centre PC for the Xbox 360 to connect to.

So as the OP wants to get rid of his PC I still feel the PS3 has a better interface. Both consoles essentially display a list, but for me the PS3 list is nicer.

This is where I (and others) are getting confused I suppose.

What we want is a Media Centre "Type" of thing built into the consoles as a stand alone item.

The 360 does not have it (without a PC attached) and the PC is more of a device that allows you to view things, and listen to. Rather than a fully rounded media centre style front end.

Seeing as they are really games consoles, you can forgive them this.

However it would be nice if they did have a LARGER hard drive and a "Media Centre" front end as standard built in as they could then become the best of both worlds.

19. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought my PS3 and popped it under my TV where my PC used to be and next to my Xbox 360. My main usage of the PS3 is gonna be for blu-ray and streaming movies off hard disk (hence why I havent touched the 3 games I bought with it).

First opinions are great. I have a Synology NAS device where I have stored all my music/photos/videos which has been working well for me for a few months. I installed Twonkymedia on it (which took 2 mins) and it instantly appeared on the PS3 interface as an option.

All movies, music, photos etc are presented in a list and selecting the file plays it. Very simple and functional. I like it.

Happy with the purchase as main goals are achieved - stream all me media off my NAS device easily without having a PC to stream off (NAS device is always on) and also to avoid the long boot up and config etc of the PC I was previously using as a media centre.

20. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As mentioned the PS3 is much quieter, I don't think I would want the noisy XBox 360 fan in the lounge when we are trying to watch a film. However, the XBox 360 Dashboard allows you to hire films in SD and HD which is something the PS3 cannot do at the moment.

My PS3 can connect to the main computer and other computers in the house no problem with the added advantage of it being wireless. I have streamed programmes from my son's computer to watch which it does really well.

The photo viewing programme on the PS3 is class especially whilst listening to music.

I would say both systems are good but would favour the PS3 purely because of the fan noise being quieter for the lounge.

21. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I've already posted this in another section of this forum asking if there's a solution but it seems it's just the way it is, but as this thread is asking about comparing the Xbox and PS3 feel it's valid here as well, as for my uses it's a pretty darn annoying thing.

"The kids have got an Xbox360 and PS3 which both stream Divx files perfectly. But there's one difference I've noticed:

With the Xbox 360 if you start watching a Divx file, stop it somewhere during playback. switch everything off and do whatever then come back and start to watch the same Divx file it gives you the option to start from the beginning or resume from where you left off.

Do the same thing with the PS3 and, although you can get the option to play or play from the beginning from the options menu it always starts from the beginning ot the programme.

22. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm still looking for the perfect media centre as well, I've tried pretty much all the HTPC options available but they are either too ugly, unreliable or complicated. The best I've found is GBPVR although even this has crashed a few times.

I would also like to use my PS3 as my media centre but find the interface too clunky.

Will the PlayTV add-on allow access to other media files as well as recorded TV? after watching one of the demo videos the interface looks great and it would be a shame if this couldn't also be used for other files.

23. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Are you able to copy large files over the network? I'm finding it is mis-reporting the video length and only copying to that reported length.

24. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    Have recently bought a PS3.Connected wirelessly to my router which is in an upstairs room whilst the PS3 is downstairs in the living room. Have had no problems streaming vob files (converted .mkv files) ,or xvid,thats all I have tried so far .Music and photos also stream fine.Its not the prettiest interface,but it does the job.

25. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Just to add to my post. I'm using Eyeconnect now, and everything reports fine and works better. I don't have to rename vob files either.