Xbox 360 on launch day without a pre-order???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Jackson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if I have already posted a similar thread -- my Internet connection is playing-up a bit this afternoon.

I've only just returned to the UK after living abroad for several years. Consequently, I haven't had the opportunity to place a pre-order for the Xbox 360.

However, I am very very keen to get my hands on one come launch day.

So here goes:

Is there any chance of walking into a shop at nine o'clock in the morning on the 2nd of December and buying one off the shelf?

If not:

1) Which store should I place a pre-order at to have a reasonable chance of getting my machine on launch day?

2) Can I place several pre-orders at different shops, and then just re-claim my deposit when one of them comes up trumps?

3) If I just trust to luck and prowl the shops first thing on December 2nd, what are the best places to try?

4) Any other suggestions (other than eBay) for someone super-desperate to get hold of one of these beauties?

Cheers,

Steve.

Go for the non obvious, and get in meag early, queue if you have to!!!
Argos might have some, woolworths will be worth a try. Wouldnt fancy your chances in Virgin, Game, HMV or MVC.
Also the small independents might have a console available if your lucky.
I think they key is to get in really early, find out the opening hours of all the shops and get to the one that opens earliest first.

3) If I just trust to luck and prowl the shops first thing on December 2nd, what are the best places to try?

thats really all you can do now and even then your not even close to getting one really. id say about a 5% chance if you find a local games retailer and not a massive company like game, gamestation

Personally, I reckon the best bet is to put your name down for a Core package, and buy any bits extra. You may end up paying a little more, but at least you get one! There should be a plentiful supply of places taking pre-orders for the core package still.

I would not recommend leaving it to luck and seeing if you can pick one up on the 2nd Dec, get on a pre-order list sharp-ish!

So, in order to equal the premium box, I would need:

-- core system
-- hard drive
-- HD cables
-- headset

Any thing else?

Cheers,

Steve.

Ya know, I have seen no advertising of any sort for x360 here in Germany. I have discovered one "Game" shop and even that didn't have much about it last week.

I reckon my chances of getting one without pre-order are pretty high!

Steven Jackson said:
So, in order to equal the premium box, I would need:

-- core system
-- hard drive
-- HD cables
-- headset

Any thing else?

Cheers,

Steve.
That's essentially it, though I don't know if you'd prefer a wireless controller, in which case you may want one of them.

I actually live in quite a small town -- and I was planning to go to a city to try my luck on the day -- but on second thoughts, would it be better to try my local shops.... do you think they're likely to have one (on launch day, I mean)? There's Woolworths (quite small), Morrisons (big), Tesco (quite big), WH Smith's (very small). Any chance?

The problem is that 360s are being allocated dependant on how many pre-orders each store has taken, so I'm led to believe any shops that haven't taken any pre-orders will only get a token amount. You could indeed strike lucky, and/or the stock allocation shortfall is being overplayed, but I know I feel a whole lot better knowing I at least have mine on pre-order with a sizeable chain. But that's only my opinion, obviously.

I reckon Tesco's will be a good bet as they are not taking pre-orders and the 360 isn't even on their website as yet. Not sure if they will stock it at launch but it's worth a try, especially as they are 24 hour so theoretically you could get one at midnight on the 1st.

As Lawrence says though, I bet they will only get a few consoles per store if any as there are actually more pre-orders to fill than predicted machines!

Try WH Smiths, Asda and Tesco on launch day, as CAS FAN, says, mabey going to the 24 hour supermarkets just before 12 is a good idea. I know I managed to nab a DS a week after it "sold out" in WH Smiths, so that would defintley be one of my first ports of call if I was in your shoes. I would defintley get down on a preorder list sharpish if I was you, if you manage to get one from a store on the 2nd then all you've got to do is get your £20 deposit back.

Try your local Toys R Us. They might have some left for their store only pre-order scheme.

is this still going..........yawn..........

Dont bother thinking you can go to your local tescos at 12 midnight and everyone will be asleep whilst you can stroll and get your XBox 360 with your weekly shop...

If only you knew how many people turned up for the new Harry Potter book at 12 midnight on the day of release... we sold over 450 books from 12 am - 4am!

so id say start queing at 12 midday lol

not to mention the fact that staff will get first dibs! and generally there are between 300-400 staff working at a typical Tesco Extra... i reckon 20% of them are younger students etc.. i.e Xbox freaks (with 10% staff discount).

Hell im even thinkin of puttin a few of them aside! and buying them and reselling them... to make 1 FREE! all for myself :D

good luck,

hope it wont be YOU without one ;)

FluffyFromTheUk said:
Dont bother thinking you can go to your local tescos at 12 midnight and everyone will be asleep whilst you can stroll and get your XBox 360 with your weekly shop...

If only you knew how many people turned up for the new Harry Potter book at 12 midnight on the day of release... we sold over 450 books from 12 am - 4am!

so id say start queing at 12 midday lol

not to mention the fact that staff will get first dibs! and generally there are between 300-400 staff working at a typical Tesco Extra... i reckon 20% of them are younger students etc.. i.e Xbox freaks (with 10% staff discount).

Hell im even thinkin of puttin a few of them aside! and buying them and reselling them... to make 1 FREE! all for myself :D

good luck,

hope it wont be YOU without one ;)

To be honest i'd doubt that Tesco will get many if any at all as all stock will be needed to meet the demands of pre-orders. Shops with no pre-order system (i.e. Tesco, Smiths etc.) are however the only way I can see someone even having a remote chance of getting one who hasn't got an early pre-order in.

Anyway, as usual we're just repeating the same stuff here so i'll close this thread now and anyone wishing to continue the discusion can do so in the sticky at the top of this X-Box forum. :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom