• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 on CRT monitor, question

mofous

So. I'll be probably getting the x360 soon. Since I put off buying a HDTV for at least another six months and since I only have an old 19" CRT monitor ...

I was wondering what my options will be exactly, in terms of resolutions, once I'll connect the console via VGA cable. I'm pretty sure my monitor is able to display a 1280 x ***(*) resolution. But my question is this: is there any way I could get a WIDESCREEN resolution, using black bars, out of the 360, on a 'normal' monitor?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Since all 360 games are widescreen I would assume that using the 360 on a monitor would give you black bars at the top and bottom no matter what setting you used but then I have only seen people use their 360 on a widescreen monitor so dont actually know for sure.

safekidda

Standard Member
I use a crt monitor as a second set up and i am very impressed with it. I first used 1280*1024 and found it good. I only own two games; in pgr3 it filled the screen but seemed streched, Kameo is displayed it in widescreen with black bars across top and bottom.

i eventually decided to go for the widescreen resolution 1360*768, i was told that i'd be best sticking to 1280*720 as this would mean the xbox didn't have to scale the picture (xbox native resolution is 720p) but in my case it looks much better on 1360*768

EDIT: By the way my monitor is a standard 4:3 17" monitor so you will be able to get these same resolutions and probably more on your 19"

mofous

Thank you very much, safekidda. I hope most games end up working like Kameo (PGR3 does actually use a strange resolution, maybe it's because of that).

PGR3 is stretched at 1280*1024, it's a know bug, but it's fine at 1024*768...

Here are some games tested on my 4*3 15" TFT

Amped 3, 1024*768, Full Screen, looks fine..
Call of Duty 2 *Demo*, 1024*768 Full Screen, looks fine
Kameo, 1024*768, Letterboxed
PGR3, 1024*768, Letterboxed
NFSMW *Demo*, 1024*768 Full Screen, looks fine, but looks like it is 480P upconverted to HD..

Sticky?

safekidda

Standard Member
meansizzler said:
PGR3 is stretched at 1280*1024, it's a know bug, but it's fine at 1024*768...

Ah that would explain it, i've only got 2 games so i wasn't sure if it was related to the game or the resolution

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom