xbox 360 on a plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Wiggins, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hello everyone. I've no doubt that this question has been asked in some variation or other on the countless plasma threads, but was hoping someone could give me a simple, honest answer. I currently own a toshiba 32" HD LCD, which I use my 360 on. For the most part I am happy with the performance (apart from ghosting in things like fps's), but with the recent drop in plasma prices I am getting a hankering for a bigger, better tv. When looking at tv's in the likes of dixons et al, I am always far more impressed with the performance of the plasma's than the lcd's. What I'd like to know is what do people who use a 360 on a plasma think of the performance? Is screen burn an issue with a console (with games like PGR with a permanent onscreen hud)? The sets I am currently considering are the panasonic 42/50 PX60 (although having read about the purple snake issue I am now slightly wary) or the Pioneer 42/50ZXD's. Thanks in advance.

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    I've had my 42px60 for about 8months now and for gaming(and normal tv and dvd viewing) the picture has always been fantastic, and for the prices the screen are available now they are an absolute steal.

As for purple snakes, not a problem, i can only very occasionally(sic!) see them, and when i do its only ever on SD material on some of the poorer sky channels. oh and screen burn, also not an issue

3. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hmmm, thanks for the info Pooon. I must admit that as well as the excellent price the panasonic is available for, the built in stand also appealed.

4. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
  5. tonecapone

tonecapone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hijack this thread but...

Ive just bought myself a panasonic 42px60 and was wondering if anyone knew the correct code to set up the xbox dvd remote control. the microsoft website isn't very helpful!

6. waxxy

waxxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    jesus thats really bad flashing on that video !!!

is thats what its ike for everyome? the reason im asking is because on lots of gaming websites there recommending the panny px60 ..there saying the 360 looks amazing when you set it too 1080i . and people have posted lots of pics of games rinning on it but no ones ever said they get green flashes or green ghosting like it is on that video..my guess is hes either got crappy leads or his tvs knackered ..well i hope thats what it is ive got my tv coming next week and i bought it mainly for my xbox 360. if it looks like that al the time im best fire it off before it comes.

7. PLASMATU

PLASMATU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ot normal here got a 436Sxe and nearly finished Gears of War twice
    well no sign of that If that is a new Pio i dunno but old one sure dont suffer that,its either some option that messes up or the specific panel thats faulty.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    No weird green flashing on mine. that panel has gota be a duff one in that video

9. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I play alot of 360 on my pio427 and it's all awesome. Amazing really....and no green thinge/retention.

10. bytesize

bytesize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Your having a laugh, on my PWD6 plasma now over three years old the 360 screen display looks amazing ... for a non-hd spec screen ... and with my PH9 arriving in a few days - it should look loads better ....

You cant really tarnish all Panasonic displays just because of a video or indeed some problem reports with some models ..

I can honestly say that I have never had any green flashed when using my 360 on my PWD6 ..

11. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I get green fringing on my PHD8 in Gears of War on very bright/white windows in near-black corridors. I'd say it's a few pixels wide when panning very quickly. I can't get that MPEG4 to run on my laptop (only tried quicktime 7 & WMP11) so not sure how it compares.

It's not spoilt my enjoyment of the game though, graphics are still stunning and every other 360 game looks perfect.

No retention issues whatsoever.

12. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Use Media Player Classic to run it...

13. waxxy

waxxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah or download vlc player its free and will play anything .

14. acereborn

acereborn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get the green flashes on my pio 507xd also :/ it’s not as bad as in the video, and it’s only noticeable in certain areas of gears. It typically happens when you have a fast moving sharp colour edge, like a black and white edge. The tv settings also seems to influence how noticeable it can be. Lot’s of people will probably not notice it, even if it’s there. I can often spot DPL rainbows and lcd motion blur as well.

Besides this, the tv is damn close to perfect.

15. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Right, uploaded to YouTube.

First bit is done at 1080i (via vp50 deinterlacing in Film mode, oops) with camera not focussed very well, but after that I changed it to 720p and switched the cam to manual focus locked on the screen.

Comments; the flicker isn't visible in real life, neither are the blue fringes, to my eyes anyway. The green ones don't look as bad as they do on video since they're on screen for a very short period of time. But there's no question they're there.

If you look closely at the "intro" cutscene bit, as his buddy walks in front at about 52 seconds, there's one frame where a big block of reflective armour moves on in the top left quarter of the screen and it leaves behind a block of green :D but again, on screen I didn't notice it at all.

I think it's compounded by the nasty low framerate of some sections of GoW so that a pillar moves something mad like 1foot in real screen space in 3/60ths of a second then nothing gets redrawn for another 2 or 3 60ths.

Finally, sorry about the quality, that's YouTube for you and I couldn't risk the bandwidth bill of hosting a 30Meg file :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyllx3VaI8

16. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    On my 42PX60 I can also see very slight green tinges, although they are nowhere near as bad as that video shows! Other people in my house can't see them, but if you stare through the screen (like a magic eye!) they become visible. I would say Gears is about the worst example though as the game has such a pale colour pallete that nearly every edge is white going to dark.

It certainly doesn't detract from my gaming experience though and to me is not as noticeable as the ghosting seen on LCDs.

On SD broadcasts it comes into its own as even poor pictures are dealt with with pleasing results.

17. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    That's really bad. I have non of that on a PW6. In fact the xbox360 at 720p is fabulous. Is it only the HD screens that are having these issues?

18. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308

God thats bad, what scene is that I would like to check my panny, although i am pretty particular about PQ and can say in all honesty i have never seen that on mine, however i could be going blind:D

19. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    It's definitely much more noticeable on the video. Almsot as though it holds onto the frames longer than your eyes register them for. Difficult effect to describe.

It's quite near the start, maybe an hour or so in, after you've met Cole and just before you go onto a rooftop to help Alpha team out by shooting up the baddies in the street with one of those machine gun emplacements (that's at the top of those stairs) - I think it's shortly after you first get the Hammer of Dawn too & have killed the 3 seeders to clear the radio comms.

20. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Will have a look tonight:smashin: