1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 - Official Price - £399.99 - Buy now here....

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by VORD, May 28, 2005.

1. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Hmmm - this is a bit misleading by Play.com. This is a placeholder price and not a retail price atall. No official announcement has been made by Microsoft - only that J Allard said it would be in the "neighbourhood of $300" in the US. That would be substantially lower than £400 here. BBC News Article

3. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    somebody must be having a laugh!! :eek:

microsoft have went on record to say they won't be pricing xbox 360 too high as this was mistake they made with the first xbox.
    think play must be covering their arse by putting over the top launch price on their pre order.

i was getting one at launch and ps3 when it comes out but will not be paying £400 for it. i will be amazed if microsoft launch it at £400 as they will lost next gen race before it starts at that price

4. blade_922

blade_922

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its $300 {text removed} Lfc Fan

5. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yea ms confirmed yesterday that it will be $300, which equates to about £300 to us

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Blade do not insult other members like that again, read the rules.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Pricing this more than £300 would be financial suicide imo!

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    I'd be a bit miffed if it was as much as £300 here if the US guys get it for £160 ($300)! I know it won't be £160, but it'll be either £199 or £249 I reckon.

9. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    i think even £300 in uk would be a bad start for microsoft. their whole game plan is to get this out before PS3 and revolution and have a head start. if the price is too high they aren't going to get that much of a headstart.
    for this to be a big success they really need to have USD300 in the US and £200 over here.
    with the way the dollar is against the pound i don't think £200 is unreasonable. we will never get an exact like for like price due to costs involved in getting machine to uk so i think £200 is ideal price for console with 1 wireless controller.
    if they price it at £300-£400 for just the console + cotroller most people will wait for PS3 and possibly even revolution.
    i was really looking forward to this coming out but I wasn't completely blown away by the stuff shown at E3. console looks good but only a couple of the games were what i would class as next gen. a lot of the stuff shown wasn't ready to be shown. fingers crossed we get it before end of year for £200 and with some great launch titles.

10. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I think it is going to be £299.99, since Xbox360 is the first of new generation consoles they are quite likely to sell it for that price without worrying about any thing, the only way they would have reduced the price if there were other consoles like PS3 or revolution to chose from but this is not the case or peoples have rejected that kind of price in past. If they sell it for £250 from they day one then I think Xbox360 is going to do very well even without the help of Halo3.

11. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    will be interesting to see then what it comes out at. peter moore or someone else of importance at xbox stated they wouldn't make the same mistake as they did with xbox 1 regarding release price.
    they admitted the original was overpriced on release so it will be very interesting. i would probably still go for one on release at £250 but not sure if i would at £299. time you buy a few games it all starts to add up. probably make you buy component or hdmi cable for it too. they will go on about high def out the box and then give you a scart connector with the console :mad:
    i would like to see different options when you buy the console ie standard def console pack with scart connector or hi def console pack with component connector etc (all same price)

think i should get a job for microsoft!!! :rotfl:

12. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I hope we don't have to buy a DVD kit(cables, remote or dongle) etc seprately to use Xbox360's DVD player etc.

13. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Console apparently will come with component cables and the ability to play DVDs out of the box, though I think the remote is extra.

14. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    if its £300 over here and $300 over the pond i think i know where i will be getting one. so its a bit more of a pain in the arse to get games but hell some wiz kids will crack it and allow me to buy and play PAL games

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Don't forget, US prices are always before tax, and UK prices always include tax. Still the $300 or £160 equates to £188 here after VAT, so if they sell at £300 here they are effectively charging £110 more than over the pond.

I can't see how in a million years they will charge £300 for the xbox 360. £200 is the killer price point, and is very justifiable to most people, £300 is beyond justification to many people, me included.

16. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Microsoft could price at £300 (which is the best way of extracting money from price insensitive people (early adopters) that will buy the kit anyway). However I think what they are saying (and I agree with) is that by doing this they don't take advantage of their first mover advantage.

What they need is critical mass (ie enough people with the consoles that games and innovation (dance mat, guns, even VR helmets can get going). They need to get to £199 at some point to hit this.

So if they price high it will only be for a short while (probably until they get enough stock in channel).

17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    There's been nothing shown on XBOX 360 that would make me pay £300 for it let alone £400.

18. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I'm sure I saw during one of the many presentations / interviews with Xboxs' J. Allard. That the console would come without a hard-drive. It would be an add on (with a game pre-loaded on it. Halo 2.5 for example). It also appears that the hard-drive add on will allow you to play Xbox 1 games and will add support for the media centre features etc.

Personally I think it'll be £249.99 without a hard-drive and £299.99 with a 20 Gig hard-drive.

19. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    One of the forum members at Xbox.com called Play and they said that they are just covering themselves with the price.
    Lets face it if any company did know the price of the 360 would Play really be the first to find out?

20. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    I was told by one of my local game stores that the price would be 'around' £200-250 depending on having the HDD.

They would be silly to assume that people will buy it at launch at a silly price just for it to be dropped in price by £100 a month later which was the mistake they made with the xbox. But then if they do, do that they'll just have to hand out the free joypad and 3 free games like they did last time :)

tris

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Xbox 360 will be $299 in the states and £199 - £249 over here. I will take bets on this :)

Everyone knows how much Xbox 360 will be - because they have all but declared it at E3. Whats really interesting is how much the PS3 will be. Most of the technology they were show casing hasnt even been built yet.

People are guessing $499 (£300 - £449 ???) but its just a guess. Its not really a guess with theXbox 360 as they have already said how much it will cost :rolleyes:

22. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    PSPs are selling for around £200 and flying here in the uk and at launch at £180 it will fly off the shelves even more so. A console with the technology and specs from the 360 will definitely fly off the shelves at £300 so I can definitely see MS selling the new Xbox around this price.

I would be glad to see the price start at £200 but for a new product that is highly in demand I dont think it will happen. I can even see £400 being the starting price with it falling to £300 when the PS3 is about to launch.

I find it bizzare that we can all easily spend £300+ for a PC graphics card but are too tight to touch a console at £300.

In summary £200 is dreaming in my opinion

23. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Excellent point. Considering that the Xbox360, as well as being a games machine, has certain Media Centre-esque facilities, I don't see 300 as being unreasonable - even without the hdd storage.

We've all got spoilt on cut-price consoles these last few years. Spoilt enough to sell mk1 black PS2s just to buy new slimline ones ahem... :blush: . Remember the launch price of the PS1. New hardware means premium prices.

24. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,434
    Well in my opinion I cant personally afford to spend out £300 on a graphics card for my pc, sorry for being blunt but stuff that.

My graphics card cost me £125 (radeon 256mb 9600 pro), I wouldnt have been able to afford going any higher just for a graphics card

tris

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    The 360 will be somewhere between £249.99 & £299.99 i'd go for £249.99 personally but wouldn't be surprised if we see it closer to £300. Over £300 is too much for a games console in my opinion and if the 360 or PS3 launch above this then they certainly won't be getting my money at launch. At the end of the day you can pack a console full of great features, charge a silly price for it and then sit and watch as it stays on the shelf. You really have two options: -

1) Release a games console with fewer jazzy options and sell it for a realistic price - after all people generally buy them to play games first and fore most.

2) Release a games console, keep the Jazzy extras (blu ray etc.) and then sell it at a loss. The reason in the PS3's case would be to get blu ray players in everyones house as it's practically their format! The idea being that once people have these new great players they will stick to the format buying blu ray discs and future stand alone players.

Look at the X-Box when it came out - yes it had loads of great features (Hard disc, custom soundtracks, high def/prog scan, 5.1 sound, X-Box Live and great modding ability) but was initially overpriced and made no impact on Sony's sales. M$ did the right thing though and they reduced & kept the price in line with the inferior PS2 and built up a decent user base albeit at a loss. The thing is that by doing that they have created the best online service & community in the business which they will take through to the 360. You can't put a price on that and I for one am excited to see the new live service at launch & how it develops over the next few years.

26. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Who are these we? Apart from AML and kopite4ever who are 'into' PC gaming i can't think of anyone who would spend that sort of cash on one component. I'm sure most would spned the kind of money that Nero mentioned.

Anyway, £300 for Xbox360, fine by me.

27. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    I dont know what price point sony are planning on, but i read a quote from someone at sony who said their cell processor alone would currently cost $1000 to produce! so either sony has to take a big hit in their pocket or they have to find a way of making the chips cheaper!

28. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The Nintendo Revolution is meant to be very cheap to make and offers a good percentage of the power of Xbox 360 and PS3. This could hit the market at £150 and sell within months for £99. Many people don't want all the extra multimedia functionality of the Xbox 360. Remember only a small minority of xbox owners subscribe to xbox live. If the Xbox 360 hits the uk at £299 the media will have a field day about the rip off pricing of it. This will kill the launch in the uk and setup the PS3 for a better launch. I personally think Microsoft's aims to produce a state of the art, bug free console in huge numbers for a simultanous world launch in November is almost impossible. I certainly hope to be proved wrong though.

Personally I'm no fan boy of Sony and frankly think the ps2 is rubbish but from the looks of it the PS3 is more powerful, more attractive and has street cred with the Sony brand. I think the Xbox 360 will fail just as badly in Japan as the original xbox.

If the Xbox 360 launches at anything more than £199 in the uk I think it will kill the momentum of the product. The thing is if you launch at £199 even if its at a loss its seen as a positive thing. However if you have to quickly reduce a price of something its seen as failure that it couldn't sell at the higher price point.

Maybe Microsoft's accountants will push for a £229 or £249 price point but this could impact sales from casual gamers in the long term.

Personally I feel they should launch at £199 and guarantee no price drop for six months in the uk. This way gamers won't hold out for a price reduction and will fully commit themselves to getting one as soon as possible. This will create the massive sales impact that Microsoft are looking for at launch. If they want to claw back extra money from the uk then delay the next price reduction rather than ruin the 360's launch. Also a Xbox 360 without hard drive should be poised to take on the Revolution at launch at the same or less price point. I believe I'm right in saying that the Xbox 360 can operate without a hard drive at all for basic game functionality which frankly is all a lot of people want anyway.

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Interesting article talking about street prices of Xbox 360 and PS3

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9204

This is also pretty interesting, taking a look at Microsofts strategy for the 360 :

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=9120

I am getting a little worried about this worldwide launch I hope we can actually get the 360 over here before Christmas :

I have a nasty feeling there is going to be no where near enough stock available especially if they are planning on selling it for $300 in the states. Surely they will sell 2 million units in the US at that price ?

Looks like a trip to Florida in November will be essential :(

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Yes 2.4 million units is not a lot for a worldwide launch. I agree that the US market alone will snap that amount up and I see Europe being pushed back for a Spring 06 launch if that is the case.