Xbox 360 not playing DTS??

maxxdavies

Novice Member
Hey there, I just picked myself up a cheap and cheerful surround sound package (Philips FR984) that supports DTS playback. On trying a DVD in my Xbox and selecting DTS in the DVD menu, the sound is missing...It plays Dolby Digital fine but when I select the DTS track there is no sound at all?

My receiver auto-switches so should technically change without a hitch, but in the Xbox menu audio options there doesn't seem to be a DTS option?

Any help? :suicide:

Broadz

Microsoft - in their infinite wisdom - created an XBox with the capability to play DVDs, but did not make it capable of handling DTS audio. Like those cheap and nasty DVD players you can buy from Sainsburys and Asda which also only have Dolby Digital and PCM audio encoders built into them. So, when you choose the DTS soundtrack on your DVD, the XBox isn't capable of handling that audio, so you don't hear anything.

Your surround sound system may be cheap and cheerful - but not as cheap and nasty as Microsoft's XBox. Buy a DVD player for playing DVDs - use the XBox for what it is. A games console.

maxxdavies

Novice Member
I actually got it working by linking my Xbox up via optical directly, before I was going thru my TV over HTMI. microsoft ain't that bad afterall ;)

Broadz

Wikipedia needs updating then (I know it's not something to be trusted). According to XBox 360 spec on there, it supports DD and PCM stereo only.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom