Xbox 360 - No sound via AV Amp

namastebuzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have an audio problem. Previous connected 360 to an AV Amp using AV HD Component Cable with the optical out for the sound. Worked fine. Switched it to my TV using HDMI for pic/sound. Worked fine.

Then, tried hooking it back up to Projector/Amp again with HD AV Component lead. Picture via Component is fine. No sound at all via optical out. Tested digi inputs on Amp with other sources - OK. Switched optical cable. No joy. Checked all the output audio settings on console. Switched to stereo output and used 2x RCA outputs to Amp. Still no sound. THe game I was loading ran before on same setup fine.

The Amp has no HDMI inputs. PJ does but that doesn't help the sound issue.

Console is never online so hasn't been updated at all but this shouldn't be an issue should it? I'm guessing the AV lead is faulty but don't have one I can swap in to check? :confused:

UPDATE:

Ran the console through the TV again but using component AV Lead and 2x RCA Stereo plugs and the sound worked so I guess it's an issue with the DSP-A1 amp. I'll have an extended fiddle with the amp.

Last edited:
You won't get HD via component. Only a HDMI cable carries the HD signal, hence the name :)

Actually, component will carry up to 720P (which still looks pretty good).

Anyway, the issue doesn't seem to be the lead or the console so at least I've eliminated those. :)

Component can carry up to 1080p, so you're both wrong. :D

If the stereo output is working on the component cable, surely that points towards the optical output not working?

Did you not say you tried another optical source on the amp and had it working?

Just for clarification, then, is the only difference between component and HDMI that the latter carries both visual and audio?

Cool! I thought it only went up to 720 but it does say 1080P on the PJ input.

If the optical out is working will a wee red light be visible when the "door" is pushed open? Or will the red light be visible at the end of an optical cable plugged into the output?

You should see a "wee" red light at the end of the optical cable.

I believe the xbox gives the same output resolution options for both, but the video quality may differ slightly between them both. On my current TV, HDMI gives a sharper image than component.

HDMI has other advanatges such as 1080/24p support, but that isn’t used by the xbox 360 console.

The red light is given off by the optical signal itself. You should see it shining through the flap on the source (i.e xbox 360). When you plug the optical cable in, the light will pass through and start to shine out the other end.

Definitelytno light coming through the optical out port on the connector.

Have ordered anothe off Ebay so we'll have to wait and see whether it's the connector or the console. :confused:

Well, finally got a new HD/AV Cable off Ebay for £2.60.

Solved it!

The optical out on the original MS cable must have failed because on the new one the "wee red light" was visible immediately and I've now got 5.1 again through my amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom