Xbox 360 networking scenario - is this possible?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by danwalton, May 2, 2007.

1. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Hi, my laptop has decided to die on me and because I'm skint I've been looking at getting a standalone desktop pc (I already have a monitor and stuff handy). Most desktop pcs don't seem to include WiFi which is important to me as I run a wireless network.

Previously, my 360 and laptop were both wirelessly connected to a router and I was able to stream media from the pc to the 360 with no trouble. What I really need to know is that if I buy a non-wifi desktop pc and a wifi USB dongle, will I be able to network the two together as I did before with my laptop, or is a USB dongle not good enough for the job?

Cheers!

2. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Yes, it will work exactly the same.
    In fact it will allow you greater choice of positioning the antenna, than a PCI wireless adapter.

3. derek1971

derek1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    An alternative depending on the location of the desktop and 360 would be to connect the router to the dektop via an ethernet cable (assuming the desktop has a network card which most do these days) and just use the wireless for the 360.
    Saves you buying a usb dongle (not expensive i know but it all helps) and will give you a more reliable connection to the desktop.

4. UKflames

UKflames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    This is the way I have my pC and 360 set up and it works very nicely:thumbsup:

5. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Thanks guys, unfortunately the whole set up is some distance from the router so a constant wired connection isn't really an option. Its good to know I can stream using a wireless USB dongle in the pc tho, cheers!