xbox 360,Netgear WGT624, setup ?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by mikesw15, Dec 19, 2006.

1. mikesw15

mikesw15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    Ive just got a Netgear WGT624 wirless router and a xbox 360 wireless adaptor can someone tell me how i connect this all up to work with a webstar modem, ive been trying for days,Ive changed DNS settings,ip addresses and what not but the bloody thing still aint working

2. bym007

bym007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have never seen or worked on Westar Modem, though, I think since you are on Telewest Cable Service, it definitely is a 'Cable' Modem. You can further confirm this by having a look at cables going out of the modem. If there is a 'Coax' cable [similar to one going into your TV Cable box] connected to it, then its a cable modem.

First steps first. You never mentioned if you have successfully connected a PC or Laptop to this modem, and used Internet so far.

If you have used internet with your PC, then continue on, otherwise, check if the modem is plugged in power, and switched on. This is a very common mistake we overlook. If it is, then carry on.

Next, see if there is any ethernet cable socket coming out of the webstar modem. An ethernet cable is just like a phone cable, though a bit wider [8 pins to be exact].

[​IMG]

If it is, then carry on.

Connect an ethernet cable from your Netgear router to your webstar modem. It should be labelled as LAN or PC on your Webstar modem. And on Netgear, it should say WAN or Internet. Once you have connected the ethernet cable, your wireless router is all set to go.

Now remember, when you switch on your network, you always do it in the following order [Starting from Left]:

Webstar Modem [better leave it on all the time] ---> Netgear Wireless Router [better leave it on all the time as well] ---> Your PC / Xbox

While switching them on, give your cable modem about 30-60 secs before it connects to Telewest, and then switch on your router after about the same delay, while it connects to Webstar, and then you are free to connect your PC/Xbox.

Its always best to leave DNS/IP Address settings as default, unless you know what are you doing. If you think you might have messed the settings, take out your user guides, and reset the modem/router according to instructions provided.

I don't have Xbox360 with me at the moment, and I have never tried connecting it to Wireless Networks. But knowing this stuff, I would take it to be breezy, once your modem/router is setup properly.

Any more troubles, let me know.
    If you having any troubles only with XBOX360, post some pics, so we know where you are being held up.

Hope this helps.:hiya:

P.S. It really helps us, if you explain problem/s encountered. Also, try to add some pics, if possible/appropriate.

3. JK23

JK23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate,

I had similar issues with my 360... You have to open a few ports on the router.

The netgear website (and the MS XBOX360 one) gives a few pointers on setting these up (the port numbers etc..) It isn't hard to do, you just to do it :eek:)

If you get really stuck then PM me and I will log into mine and tell you whcih ones they are.

Hope this helps!!

Jase

4. jpow112

jpow112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a netgear router, blueyonder, xbox, etc. Followed some directions on an unofficial blueyonder help site - had to set up a "DMZ server" can't remember the website now, but if you google you should find the directions - as I recall a few settings, set up the xbox360 to a static address, and away you go - took a few mins.

John