1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 media streaming

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by zAndy1, May 14, 2005.

1. zAndy1

Nov 26, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    According to www.xbox.com:-

'You can transfer high-definition video and CD-quality music from your Media Center PC to your Xbox 360 via 802.11a wireless media support.'

Does this mean the only standard supported for streaming such material is 802.11a? Do 802.11g routers support this standard as I can't see any mention of e.g. my Netgear DG834G supporting it? Also this worries me:-

'802.11a supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps and signals in a regulated 5 GHz range. Compared to 802.11b, this higher frequency limits the range of 802.11a. The higher frequency also means 802.11a signals have more difficulty penetrating walls and other obstructions. Because 802.11a and 802.11b utilize different frequencies, the two technologies are incompatible with each other. Some vendors offer hybrid 802.11a/b network gear, but these products simply implement the two standards side by side.

Pros of 802.11a - fastest maximum speed; supports more simulatenous users; regulated frequencies prevent signal interference from other devices
    Cons of 802.11a - highest cost; shorter range signal that is more easily obstructed'

I guess we'll find out in the fullness of time but it seems odd that it would explicitly state 802.11a in that statement on xbox.com.. I've pretty much decided not to get something like the Kiss DP600 now and wait for the Xbox 360 and use that instead however this depends on exactly what format of high def material the Xbox 360 will play I suppose (suspect just WMVHD, guess divx/transport stream files won't be playable).