• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 media remote

scottish steveo

Standard Member
The remote should work fine out the packaging as it uses an infrared signal.

What are you having difficulties with exactly?

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
You just need to put batteries into it, it automatically works. However, unlike controllers the Guide buttons cannot be held down, holding it just counts as a single press.

Just hit the power button and the console should turn on if the remote illuminates then the batteries are fine and it could indicate either your console or remote are broken.

simon here

You just need to put batteries into it, it automatically works. However, unlike controllers the Guide buttons cannot be held down, holding it just counts as a single press.

Just hit the power button and the console should turn on if the remote illuminates then the batteries are fine and it could indicate either your console or remote are broken.

Ive put batteries into it, lights are workng but its not connecting

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Ive put batteries into it, lights are workng but its not connecting

Then either:

1. The IR receiver on your 360 is blocked by something.
2. The remote doesn't work.
3. The IR receiver on your 360 is broken.

This is the official remote isn't it?

You also have to make sure it isn't in TV mode. Make sure the button marked TV isn't illuminated in Orange. If it is hit it until it goes Green.

simon here

Then either:

1. The IR receiver on your 360 is blocked by something.
2. The remote doesn't work.
3. The IR receiver on your 360 is broken.

This is the official remote isn't it?

You also have to make sure it isn't in TV mode. Make sure the button marked TV isn't illuminated in Orange. If it is hit it until it goes Green.

Its the official remote, and tv is green so all fine there. How could i go about finding if the IR receiver is being blocked/broken ?

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
put the remote very near it and check there is a clear line of sight between the remote and the sensor,

am i right in thinking somewhere int he setup menus there is a remote option to change between universal remote or media remote? Might be worth a check in case there is and you have it set to the other one.

if it still doesnt work might be worth returning to the shop and getting a replacement, if that doesnt work assume the worst and it's your xbox that is at fault

put the remote very near it and check there is a clear line of sight between the remote and the sensor,

am i right in thinking somewhere int he setup menus there is a remote option to change between universal remote or media remote? Might be worth a check in case there is and you have it set to the other one.

if it still doesnt work might be worth returning to the shop and getting a replacement, if that doesnt work assume the worst and it's your xbox that is at fault

Sounds daft but check to make sure there isn't the packing plastic still over the IR sensor. Only takes it to be dirty and it stops the connection, and you wouldn't really notice because of the colour of the sensor.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
The option in the 360s menu is to disable the MC remote, so that users with a MC PC don't keep turning the 360 on when they use it. I know from experience how annoying it is.

But there is no option to disable the 360 remote. The settings are:

1. Both MC and 360 remotes work.
2. Only 360 remote works.

Pistol1

My brother had one that was faulty, so it's quite possible you've got a duff one.

Another thing that might be worth a try: take the faceplate off the 360, to make sure there's nothing behind the window (dirt, fluff etc) blocking the IR signal.

I'm sure you know it's IR and so has to be pointed at the console already, but I do think some people will just assume it's the same as the wireless controllers and doesn't have to be pointed at the console to work.

Bossworld

Mine stopped responding once or twice before for no good reason, think we reset the xbox and that fixed it.

Incidentally i've always thought the range on these was crap (had to be straight on not at an angle) but we've got a new bedroom 360 and the same remote is much more responsive on that, so could be the receiver on the console I suppose. Got a spare 360 remote I need to shift now too, also got 1 official MS MCE remote, 1 xbox one, another Fujitsu-Siemens licensed HTPC MCE one, and 2 hauppauge ones. So no problems if one gets lost lol.

Pug72

When I had a 3rd party faceplate on a 360 a while ago, I remember I had to swap the purple IR window with one from an official one as it wouldn't let the signal through.

Got a different faceplate on?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom