Xbox 360 media Extender Demo

Overlord69

Cowden_harley

ive done the rollup but is there a specific option for the 360 as ive not seen any new options regarding it in my mce.

SLIM

sounds to me that with a mod you may beable to send dvd's and albums over the xbox live network

Cowden_harley

wwooowaaahhh slim - bill gates has microphones in your electric sockets. He'll have heard you typing that! lol

M

mal60908

I have windows xp pro, will I have to upgrade to MCE or can I use normal XP?

Cowden_harley

its a fresh install mate you need a fromatted hard drive. i have two hard drives one with xp pro on it and the other with mce on it i get a dual boot option.

richard plumb

I'd hang on and see what Media Connect V2 for XP lets you do. Apparantly it'll let you stream video (V1 didn't) to UPnP devices, but no specific mention of the Xbox 360.

A

ant73

MS have confirmed you need MCE to stream video - XP is music/pictures only

Kopite4Ever

good post overlord some things in the video i did not know about the MCE capablilties of the 360. seeing as its a free SW available so to speak with the machine its really handy. wont be long before the people like the guys behind XBMC crack it an allow transport of everyfile imaginable

L

latinoman231982

SO guys i got a question. I just built my own pc with xp home.Are you telling me i need to fork out 80 quid just so that i can stream **** to my xbox 360????? If this is the case i think Microsoft taking us for a ride, i thought that was sonys job!!!!!!!!! What the F*&K!! Anyone else heard any other news, It wouldnt be fair for us unfortunate enought not to have a mce pc.Yeh sure you can by the OEM version, But if you think about it the majority people out there think they have to buy a new pc cause microsoft have led them to believe this.

spanna

There was an interview with J Allard on ign or gamespot or something recently and he said if Ms received enough interest then they will implement Video streaming from XP to the 360 at a later date.
So I am hanging on as Ive just bought and installed xp pro.
Theres no way im buying another O/s.

Gary D

Kopite4Ever said:
good post overlord some things in the video i did not know about the MCE capablilties of the 360. seeing as its a free SW available so to speak with the machine its really handy. wont be long before the people like the guys behind XBMC crack it an allow transport of everyfile imaginable
Bring it on :D

Gary

S

superjim

Does anyone know if there is any game performance drop from using MCE rather than XP Pro? I am considering the change but still want top PC game performance. Also, do I have to use nvidia's MCE Video drivers or can I get away with XP drivers?

I'm a bit confused about media centre. Will I be able to use it as a PC (ie. using the net etc) or will I have to use my normal PC and transfer all my media to the media centre playing them through my xbox.

R

royster

Using Media Center Edition myself and I can not notice any performance difference to using a normal XP installation.
You can use the most recent Nvidia drivers which work fine with Media Center but I would also advise you to also download the Media Center specific drivers because they also contain a setup package for some extra video extensions. These I installed seperately through opening the setup file in Winrar and extracting the extension setup files out and installing the that way.
Good luck

S

superjim

Think I'll get a cheap HDD and put it on there and use dual boot

milkmanchris

What about us Mac users?

BeelzebubUK

steve-o said:
As far as I'm aware, isnt MCE just XP Pro plus a few things bolted on? Like the MCE exe?
It was in its first incarnation. Don't know if thats true with the latest versions though but I assume it is.

Moogle

milkmanchris said:
What about us Mac users?
Out of luck I'm afraid. It's to be expected that MS isn't going to go out of it's way to support the Mac. Obviously they rather people use Windows based PC's.

Rob20

I'm not sure why I would particularly want to stream stuff from my pc to my 360. Can somebody explain what the appeal is. :confused:

M

mal60908

Rob20 said:
I'm not sure why I would particularly want to stream stuff from my pc to my 360. Can somebody explain what the appeal is. :confused:
You can get hi-def on your plasma through the 360, as there are no HD players available yet.
You can also stream music to listen to when playing games, also viewing your pics etc, it is more sociable than everyone crammed around your pc.

Most people probably don't need these options, but it is nice to have them there anyway.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I can't really think of any point me having MCE to be honest. My PC & 360 will both be in my games room & connected to my 720p PJ & a VGA monitor so that I can view which ever one I wish on which ever display. The only use I can see is if I had a 360 in the living room and then I could stream TV shows & movies to it from my PC.

To be honest I think that I'm just going to use my modded X-box to store & play my movies & TV shows on for now which will leave my PC's HD a bit less cramped.

For me the 360 will just be for games initially I feel.

Rob20

mal60908 said:
You can get hi-def on your plasma through the 360, as there are no HD players available yet.
You can also stream music to listen to when playing games, also viewing your pics etc, it is more sociable than everyone crammed around your pc.

Most people probably don't need these options, but it is nice to have them there anyway.
I perefer to listen to the ingame music when playing games tbh. I can always use my ipod if I wanted to listen to my own music on my 360, or rip cds to the HDD. As for photo's, won't the 360 play jpeg photo cds!? still, I rarely use my camara enough that I'd need to show others my pictures. On the rare occasion that I do I can just show them on a pc. As for hi-def movies etc, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are out next year. I can wait.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I must say that generally i'm a sound effects man! I like to hear the sound of the engine in a racer or the roar of the crowd in a footie game! FPS's also require you to hear when there's someone near by as therefore music is generally not a good idea.

S

superjim

I got MCE now and I'll be getting myself a wireless adaptor. I'm hoping to be able to stream HD video to 360. When launch day comes I'll post my findings - It'll be interesting to see how the bandwidth holds up.