Xbox 360 Media Center Video problems

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by radiokid, Mar 10, 2006.

1. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have got a new Laptop and have installed Media Center 2005 on it. Also I have set up the Xbox 360 to connect to it. I can use the Xbox as an extender just fine. It loads up and i can play music, watch tv through my laptops freeview and look at pictures

But I cant play any video files at all. I have a large collection of Mpeg2 files, HD content and WMV files, and none of them play through the Xbox.

They play on the laptop, both through media player 10 and windows media center. So my codecs must be in order. I use Nvidia purevideo as my mpeg codec and that works fine.

When I go to my video on the xbox media center it seems to stop for ages (as if it is trying to load something, or search) before i can move the selection box to a folder to view the video files. Once i am able to move and select a video the circle that appears when media center is loading a file just spins.

What is going on?

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    bump

3. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Have had a similar problem in that mpeg files played but wmv didn't. After much searching of forums and emailing Microsoft (no reply) I hadn't found rhyme nor reason. As an experiment I rolled back my PC to just the operating system and not much else (using Trueimage). Lo and behold all videos played. I then installed programmes one by one and tested playback on the XBox. All was well until I loaded Sony Vegas, after which wmv files would not play again. Uninstall Vegas and playback is fine. I then loaded up Adobe Premier Pro 2 tryout and found that no video would play. Uninstall it and everything is OK.

Hope this helps you find the cause on your setup. Does anyone have a workaround for this problem?

4. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yep sounds very similar to my story i deleted all my codecs on my pc and installed nero then it worked fine.

Let us know how you get on.

5. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers for the replies. so is there a clear cut way to removing all codecs, because a lot of the time programs leave them behind.

wierd that it wont play wmv files either since they are a microsoft codec, cant really get rid of that one.

can i ask if your experiences included the long pause when first accessing the my videos section of media center on the xbox, and then simply not being able to load any video?

thanks,

tom.

6. radiokid

radiokid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just an update,

i've got it working now.

uninstalled nvidia purevideo, uninstalled nero 7 (which includes mpeg codecs)

reinstalled nvidia purevideo and all is working.

thanks for the help.

7. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thats useful info; thanks. I shall stick with Nero 6 and avoid upgrading to Nero 7. For the time being I have installed a seperate operating system on another hard drive and use it (via a dual boot utility) for my video editing and my normal system (sans video editing programmes) for all other use. All of which is a :mad: nuisance. If anyone finds a way of controlling these video editing programmes and stopping them taking over our machines please let us know.