Xbox 360 = Low Anistropic filtering?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by tk2001, Mar 17, 2006.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I currently own PGR3, Condemmed, COD2 and GRAW and overall I think the 360 is a great machine and I certainly enjoy playing the games I have for it.
    I have always been picky when it comes down to graphics and if there are glitches or imperfections, I tend to notice it more than the average joe, i.e drops in framerate or video tearing (GRAW and PDZ ouch!) etc which brings me to my observation.

I am surprised nobody has else has commented on this but has anyone notice how low the anistropic filtering is on most 360 games?

I play the 360 on a 92" screen on my Hitachi TX100 (1280 x720p) and on every game that I have played the textures just seems to become a complete blur into distance. One of the few games which seems to have the anistropic filtering set to high is condemned so even from a distance the texture detail is high and not blured. Oh, and Kameo has some of the best textures I've ever seen even and the normal maps are amazing.

I am aware that it is still early days into the 360's life cycle but for all those who know, is anistropic filtering setting dependant on the GPUs clockspeed or video ram.

I was hoping that now that we have reached the next-generation with the 360 that most games would have the anistropic filtering set to 16x and that blurry textures in the distant background would be a thing of the past.

Anyone else agree with me?

2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I think the only place you will get 16x is on a pc. I believe that the AF on the xbox is only something silly like 2x, some games dont even use this. I am not 100% certain on this.

3. Wicker

Wicker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Im very dissapointed to hear this as I was hoping to get an xbox 360 after purchasing a HD screen. As a PC gamer I make sure I have the top spec card so that AA and AF are available to be as I believe it makes a big difference.
    Lets just hope that Microsoft and other developers hear the crys of us gamers at this early stage and get there thumbs out.

AF at 16X (or at least 8X) should be standard this day and age.

4. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    have you checked out the lastest nvidia tests they are crippled when running hdr and AA/AF its seem to be only to handle one at a time...

saying that no pc games thus far have used anything near the types of post rendering effects and hdr used in Ghost recon for example :lesson:

5. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    The thing is and no disrespect intended, while there is a vocal group demanding high AA and AF, no clipping, tearing, pop in etc etc. They are the minority.

I believe the majority of people would prefer the fantastic graphics with occasional graphical problem than decent but technically perfect graphics.

The fact that developers chose to keep using the best graphics they can put out at the expense of high AA and AF with no v-sync and despite the fact we will get the occasional pop in, confirms my belief.

There is always going to be a balanceing act, devs don't leave options low or off for the fun off it. They are produceing what they belive will provide the best experience for the most ammount of people.

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    HDR is nice. It can be found in a few pc games.

7. UKDStrawdog

UKDStrawdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I wonder why.

AF/AA/HDR all take up CPU processing power, it comes down to the tradeoff which the developer believes gives the best image quality versus performance. In the future we'll see a higher level of AF used in games but I wouldn't saying any of the current occasional graphical problems have impacted my enjoyment of my games (apart from PDZ that was a bunch of arse).

8. chuwright

chuwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The GPU in the 360 is capable of higher AF, it also offers 2xAA without a performance hit. The issues lies entirely with the developers, most choosing not to use many of the "free" features the Xenos GPU offers. Most likely due to rushed development in order to meet MS's ambitious release schedule. If you're interested you can read a good in-depth description here...

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php?p=02

I choose the 360 based on the GPU and the fact that in order to upgrade my PC again, I'd have to change the motherboard, loads of PC type games are due out as well! And the 360 costs a lot less than a X1900 or 7900 graphics card...