Xbox 360 live on AOL through a Laptop, which is on wireless

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Rambobambo, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Rambobambo

Rambobambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have got XBox 360 which I was able to connect to live using ICS by my laptops ethernet port, Recently I have got AOL conncetion and I connect to internet wirelessly. I have tried connecting xbox 360 through ICS using ethernet again but console fails to obtain IP address. I tried making a new connection as suggested by Shadowmanuk, but as the conncetion is already on I do not get any luck that way as well. I was wondering if any of you could help me.
    kind regards

2. Horatiogreen

Horatiogreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
  3. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    So you are on AOL using a wireless router now yeah?

If so, the best way to connect (if you want to go via your laptop) is to use bridging,

4. Rambobambo

Rambobambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks for your help and prompt response, I tried the way you said, but nothing happened the laptop is not able to connect to XBOX at all . I mean that music streaming was not happening which would happen in any case, even when it was not able to obtain IP addess.

5. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,784
    i have aol, a wireless acer laptop and a wireless speedtouch router, i have my 360 via the official wireless adaptor.
    i couldnt connect at first but i had to make my broadband secure then it asked me for the wep key and it came on, no problems at all apart from some disconnects but that only happened when the adaptor was plugged in the back of the 360, when i plugged it into the front, since then ive had not one disconnect.
    i think the 360 made the adaptor disconnect through heat coming out the back of the 360 cos the adaptor was really hot.

6. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I don't really know what you mean what error message did you get? IP Address Failed?

If so you need to make sure the xbox is set to auto and there's no firewall on your laptop blocking anything.

7. Rambobambo

Rambobambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOrry for the garbled reply.
    What I wanted to tell was that even following bridge the thing did not work. Also follwoing bridge procedure Xbox was not able to connect with laptop at all which it was able to do before. When I tried to enable ICS on wireless connection an error pops up which says that ICS can not be enbled as LAN has Automatic IP Address enabled. I even tried putting in user name and password in the advanced settings on Xbox dashboard, I know u discourage that but out of shear desperation I did that , but to no joy. Can you figure out what I shoul do.
    Thanks

8. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    If your laptop cannot connect after doing the bridging it says what to try at the bottom of the guide if that happens, (forcing the card into promiscous mode) you need to try that.