1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox 360 Live - Advice

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by aftertaste, Oct 25, 2005.

1. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    There are a lot of threads that touch on this, but after reading them all I'm still not sure which way is up. Sorry in advance if I should have been able to piece together the information scattered around the forum.

I have 2 Mbps broadband with BT. I have a one year old Dell, good specs. In December I'd like to use the XBox 360 on XBox live. I'm still not sure what I'll need, and how to go about it.

Can someone give me a quick "How To", or point me to a place that does?

I'd rather not have to install a network card in my PC. This isn't required is it?

Thanks for your time.

2. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can I add to this: if I use my PC and my 360 together, what will the effect be on each of them on one another?

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    There is usually quick 'how to' at xbox.com.

You will need a network card in your PC, and i'd be very very very suprised if a 2 year old machine didn't have one. You'll need this card to connect your 360 to your PC using a process called 'internet connection sharing'(ICS), unless you get a router, but even then you will still need a network port for the router to connect to your PC, unless! you go the wireless route, then you will need the wireless adaptor for the 360 and either a wired or wireless newtowrk card in your pc

Michael - depends on what each machine is doing. eg on the current xbox you can easily play games and surf the internet, use msn etc with no problems. Things get a bit funky if you are downloading music or whatever on the pc whilst trying to play games, so if you can avoid it don't do it

4. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I dont know about the 360 but can offer a little advice re the current xbox live.

You will probably have a network connection on your pc, I have. At the moment, i have a ethernet cable running from my computer to my xbox. You then change the properties of your internet connection on your pc to enable iternet connection sharing. The xbox should then detect the setting from the computer when they are both switched on. This works fine for me.

With regard to using both at the same time. It should only affect live play if you are downloading on your pc using the same internet connection. This might cause some lag in the game.

Hope this helps. I'm certainly no expert but, as i say, this works for me. Im on 2mbps Tiscali.

5. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I must have been typing when Pooon made his post. :oops: He phrased it better than me too. :suicide:

6. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I just took a look at the "network" section in my system information to see if I have a network card installed. I don't really know what I'm looking for though. I can hear you all groan from here! What do I need to see?

If I find out I have one installed already, does that mean I won't need anything besides the contents of the 360 box on December 2nd to play online?

7. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think you would still need an ethernet cable so you can connect the two. I'm not sure if one is incl. in the premium package or not.

Im not sure how to tell if you've got a network card or not. As Pooon said, on a one year old machine you should have. Try taking a look round the back of the computer. You are looking for a connection which looks simalar to the telephone line connector, only slightly bigger. Sorry i cant be of any more help.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    You need to goto 'Control Panel', then 'System', then 'Hardware' then 'Device Manager' and look for 'Network Adaptors' and in there should be something like 'VIA fast ethernet adaptor' and roberts your fathers brother

9. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Where you told me to look I see: "1394 Net Adapter" and "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection"

Either of those a hit?

10. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection"
    connection is your ethernet one, you should see a connection on the back of your pc that is like a USB one but square.

The 1394 one is a firewire one (or ilink mainly for DV camcorders)

11. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Thats kinda misleading. An ethernet port looks like this [​IMG]
    or for pc owners [​IMG]
    this is what you should be looking for! i looks like a regular modem socket only bigger

12. aftertaste

aftertaste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I don't know what I'd do without the help I get from this place!! Thanks a lot.

Finding out I already have a network connection just made my life a lot simpler!

Is it just me, or has December 2nd never seemed further away?

13. jim_is_ere

jim_is_ere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Anyone know the mininum broadband speed needed for XBOX 360. It seemed to be 512 for XBOX, but I imagine it will be a bit higher fro XBOX360. Anyone know?

Jim

14. lisbonlion

lisbonlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If your connecting it through Internet Connection Sharing (ie through your pc), you will need a crossover cable not a straight through cable.

15. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    keep going - keep going

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    It will be the same as Xbox. Although more people are upgrading to faster broadband connections most still on have 512 so that is still the basic requirement.

17. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Disadvantage of internet connection sharing is that the pc has to be on for the xbox to connect to the internet.
    Avoid ICS, use a router, they are so damm cheap at the moment, you can pick up a wireless ADSL router for £60:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...51&category_oid=-24986&fm=2&sm=4&tm=undefined

Netgears are easy to use, all you got to do is enter your ADSL user name and password, e.g user.name@hg12.btinternet.com

Then you leave this plugged in and on all the time and you have permanent internet, plug in 4 hard wired devices such as your xbox and pc or add as many wireless devices as you like (254 max!!!). Its a million times easier, if a laptop is borrowed or bought you just plug it in and then your on the internet. Security is pretty simple, lock down the wireless to mac addresses and 128bit WEP and limit the scope of your IP's to the number of devices that will be attached.

Dont worry if this means nothing to you, the instructions with these routers are very good, like I said all you need is your username and password and you can set it up.

18. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    PioRow, hope you dont mind if I ask a question and display my ignorance.

If I buy the product as you suggest, how is it connected.

At the moment I have folowing - telephone line > creative broadband blaster > pc

I would like to hook up my xbox 360 doenstairs wirelessly using the new 360 wireless add on.

Where does the asdl router fit in if you know what i mean - do I hook it to phone line and then hook my asdl box to it and then on to pc?

Does it then provide broadband to my pc in a wired fashion, and send the signal to the 360 downstairs wirelessly?

Can I kee my current isp and sign on details etc for the PC?

Sorry for the inane questions, but this whole thing has me befuddled, and you seem to know what you are talking about.

Thanks.

19. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Apologies for the appalling spelling also....

20. VILLAn66

VILLAn66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not sure about your Creative broadband blaster thingy but assuming that it serves the same purpose as a cable modem, you would go:

Telephone line >> CBB >> Router >> PC

The router would probably have a wired connection to the PC and a wireless connection to the gaming adapter (+ XB360)

Your ISP and sign on details for the PC wouldn't change.

21. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your router hs a built in modem like most do, including the netgear 834's, the you plug you router in to the phone line and that's it for wireless.
    If you want a wired connection, plug in the ethernet cable to your pc, laptop, xbox etc.
    You connection is always on then, no connecing up every time that you have to do with a usb modem.

22. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks guys.

Should have been more clear. The 'Creative Broadband Blaster' is a straightforward adsl modem.

So its tele line -> adsl modem -> router -> pc

Think I get it...

23. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Just to confirm, does your modem have an ethernet port like Pooon showed or is only USB?

Matt

24. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    If it has an ethernet port then as you say its..
    Telephone line connects to ADSL Modem. Then ethernet cable from Modem to Router. Then Router(which should have several wired outputs) to PC again ethernet connections and finally ethernet from router again to Xbox or Xbox360.

If you want wireless then buy wireless router and wire PC as above but get an ethernet bridge ideally same make as router and all that will happen is the signal from wireless router will travel via radio frequency to ethernet bridge which is plugged into Xbox360 with an ethernet cable, ie it 'bridges' the gap between router and xbox360.

MATT

25. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The netgear model in the pcworld link above has the modem built in so you don't need a seperate modem. You plug this router into your phone line and then your computers/xbox into the network ports or via wireless. By the way, that router also contains a built in firewall to stop anyone getting into your network.

Also for uploading most broadband connections only have 256kbit even on 2mbit download, so the xbox 360 would need to work within that

26. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks again folks.

The adsl modem has both an ethernet port and usb - only the ethernet is used.

Now, as im wanting wireless, Matt are you suggesting that if I buy the netgear router as suggested, I should buy an ethernet bridge to plug into the 360 as opposed to the Microsoft wireless link for the 360? Would I have problems otherwise?

Papua, if I try to use the netgear as my main modem, will I have to do a lot of account configuring on my pc for my current broadband connection? May sound stupid, but I would like the solution that requires the least 'tinkering'.

Thanks again.

27. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The only thing you need to do with the netgear is enter your user name and password for broadband.

To explain things further, the netgear has a phone connector, use that instead of to your current modem. There are four ethernet ports, connect one to your pc the other three are either spare or you could connect to the xbox with one. The netgear has it's own dhcp 'server' in that providing on your pc you have in your network settings (under network properties) set it to obtain ip address and dns address automatically the netgear will assign everything for your pc automatically. There is no other settings required on the PC.

To log into the netgear initially to set it up you just type in it's ip address in internet explorer (or any browser). It's inital address is 192.168.0.1m this will bring up a webpage where you can set the user name and password for your broadband connection.

The current xbox's default network settings will automatically be set by the netgear so there is no configuring on the xbox to do either.

Hope this helps.

28. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Papua, you are a star - many thanks - think i've got it..........

29. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should be no or little interferance with a 2mb pipe. Remember that most web sites don't operate at that speed, so if someone is browsing while you playing you shouldn't notice anything. If your download torrents on the other hand this might disrupt your game experience.

With xbox live it is mentioned that usb camera may be used for xbox live games. Which is quite cool, so you can who your playing.

30. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,582
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

You will be an expert in 3 months