Xbox 360 - Later versions may have HD-DVD!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by KevinWood, Jun 27, 2005.

1. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Microsoft and Toshiba Expand Partnership to HD-DVD Players
    Microsoft and Toshiba will expand their partnership to include a new line of consumer electronics devices, the companies announced today.
    Under terms of the agreement, the two companies will codevelop new High Definition DVD (HD-DVD) players, devices that will play back the next generation of HD-DVD content.
    "The market for digital consumer products, including PCs, is huge and may develop in any number of ways," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida said. "The alliance will definitely be beneficial for both Toshiba and Microsoft." In addition to HD-DVD, Microsoft and Toshiba will collaborate on iHD, an interactive DVD format.
    Toshiba's HD-DVD players will use Windows CE .NET and the HD-DVD technology that Toshiba helped develop. Both Microsoft and Toshiba are members of the DVD Forum, which is pushing HD-DVD as the next- generation DVD standard. A rival group led by Samsung and Sony is pushing an incompatible next-generation DVD format called Blu-ray.
    Although Microsoft is a DVD Forum member, the company might eventually agree to support Blu-ray as well because consumers will expect Microsoft OSs to play all DVD formats.
    Interestingly, HD-DVD could also eventually find its way into Microsoft's eagerly awaited Xbox 360. As part of the Toshiba agreement, Microsoft said it would examine HD-DVD for inclusion in Xbox 360 or a future Xbox release. "The initial shipments of Xbox 360 will be based on today's DVD format," Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates said. "We are looking at whether future versions of Xbox will incorporate an additional capability of an HD-DVD player or something else."

What to do now? Do you buy the console straight away and get a DVD, or hang on for the HD-DVD equipped 360, which I guess could be brought out at the same time as the PS3 to take the shine off the Blu-Ray advantage Sony would have had!!!

Cheers

Kevin.

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Well if they are going to include it within future releases of Xbox360 then they had better find a way of upgrading the older ones!

3. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If this is true then suddenly hddvd gets a chance against bluray. In a way i'm glad as hddvd are likely to be cheaper (sony would love to flog bluray movies at £30). There's no way MS are gonna confirm future hddvd upgrades (though they have hinted at it) as it would affect initial sales of 360 (many may hold off buying till the upgrade). The 360 launch has to be a big success to gaurantee a large slice of the market.

It does leave me with a dilemma though,l get it early or late? Theres no way they'll upgrade older 360's to play hddvd, they'll need to change the dvd laser if not the whole drive!

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    i will be spitting mad if I buy a 360 and then 9 months later the 360 has a hd-dvd drive! :mad:

If that did happen I would get a ps3 out of spite and sell my 360!

Although having said that, sony seem to jinx every format they back Betamax, sacd and minidisc. I have a feeling blue ray will go down the pan as well.

5. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I think that later version should come after 5 years atleast, or HD-DVD must be in the Xbox360 right from the day one. now it realy makes me think that Xbox360 probably will be delayed.
    There must be hunderds of Xbox360 already ready to go I think.

6. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It would be easy for MS to release the HD dvd drive as a addon - Games wont need it so you would only buy it for films If you have the set up you could then buy the addon drive for say £70. Xbox360 uses USB2 so it could be done fairly easy.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    You'll probably just pop the dvd drive out and stick a HD-DVD drive in and then upgrade the bios. Still that's probably a bit to much effort for most console people, maybe they will run an upgrade service for existing customers where you send your box off to have the drive swapped.

The post is very vague though and my feeling is that they will save it for the next X-Box console. I just don't see it being cost effective to think about bringing it out for the 360.

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    For hardcore AV enthusiasts, none of these options will be relevant. IF it has an HD DVD drive from day one, then fair enough. But most people wont bother with USB drives or having the internal drive replaced.

If they are going to include HD DVD in the 360, then better do it from day one. Or at least offer 2 models. A cheaper DVD model and a more expensive HD model.
    That would make more sense.

It would benefit the 360 to supposer HD DVD, and would help them fight off the PS3 with its Blu Ray.

I hope MS use a little common sense here!

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Hmmm, maybe I will be waiting before I buy the X360 after all...

10. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I will not wait. I have seen how poor the PS2 is as a DVD player and the Xbox is only as good as a £40 budget model so I will be getting a standalone HD-DVD player. Also I will wait to see which format wins.

11. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Having an external usb hdvd is possible but frankly if you want a hddvd player your better off buying a seperate dedicated player. As for swapping the dvd drive, i think it is unlikely MS will make the current drive easily removable. I spose we'll just have to wait and see, personally i'll probably get the 360 early and wait to see if hddvd wins the format war.

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    But it should be a cheap way to enter the next-gen dvd market!

13. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It could be a cheap entry but it might be an entry into the format that loses. As far as I am concerned the Xbox 360 is purely a Hi-def games machine. I think that Sony could be in real trouble with the PS3 as it is not pitched as a pure games machine. It will cost more that the 360 and if BluRay does not take off they are going to lose a fortune. The golden rule is that separates are always better. You can pick and mix the best components and then later on upgrade individually.

14. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Yes but the rest of the consumers who dont have that amount of dosh to spend on seperates will be looking at the PS3 and think "oh, its also a Blu Ray player" like they said about the PS2 and its DVD playback abilities.

The majority of those who buy the consoles think in this way and see it as not having to spend on a seperate player. Its only us AV freaks who go on about the Sony playback, and were the ones with the budget to buy the seperates..

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    If MS want the 360 to be a multimedia machine it really does need to offer more than DVD playback. They should have waited and included HD DVD in their original specs. At least they could have announced it at E3 as a future possibilite.
    I think they missed out here and should have done this sooner.
    If they do have HD DVD drives then it would help against sony.
    As danvitale said, not everyone can afford to buy all separates when buying AV equipment, so a games console that can also play hi def videos will be very appealing.

One thing though. Since the PS3 can play Blu Rays and the 360 might play HD DVDs and these are hi def formats, is there really going to be a huge difference in quality between stand alone players and these new consoles?

After all, hi def is hi def, not matter what you watch it on!

I understand there being a difference with DVD players as newer players can upscale to 720p and 1080i, also newer players have really good digital analog converters and are therfore better than any console in terms of picture.

But if these new consoles offer 1080i then will we really see a huge difference?

16. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well it's going to happen but not right away

WITH MICROSOFT and Toshiba having jumped into bed together it has come as no great surprise that Bill Gates announced that the Xbox 360 is to incorporate HD-DVD, one of two formats vying for the position of the successor to DVD. This will heat up the war for the succession of the throne as Sony have sided with the other contender, Blu-ray, and so if one format loses the war in no doubt magnanimous fashion then it could spell trouble for the console that has sided with it. Of course the same is true vice versa, and so both companies are taking calculated risks in making their decisions.
    Microsoft’s choice to go with HD-DVD has come a little late in the game for the Xbox 360 though, and so they plan to include "old fashioned" DVD drives on the first batches of 360’s when the console launches for Christmas.

How Microsoft plans on handling upgrading everyone to HD-DVD afterwards we can’t wait to hear about.

taken from the inquirer

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    They may just do it so that the HD-DVD capability is only used to play movies and therefore all game releases continue to come out on DVD only. That way it doesn't matter too much about being upgraded.

Personally i'm going to wait to see which format is successful before I start buying HD films. The last thing you want is a nice start to a collection of HD-DVD films (say 50 films) to build up and then the format to fail in favour of Blu Ray. I will buy a 360 at launch simply as a games machine and when it comes to HD films I will buy a separate player (once I know how the market is going).

18. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Thats a funny quote...sony siding with the other contender...sony are the other contender aren't they?

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I would have thought that X360 consoles that have HD-DVD in wouldn't really be able until next summer. We're unlikely to see any players until early next year!

20. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Something tells me that BluRay and HD-DVD will co-exist for quite some time, so the problem then is going to be do you buy a separate DVD player/recorder that can do both or just stick with whichever the majority of your favourite movies are released on?
    It's not going to be as straight forward as Betamax/VHS was - the companies involved in both formats are much more savvy this time round and have their respective partners to back them up. So, expect a long drawn out "battle" of the formats - 5 years at least, possibly 10 before there appears to be a majority of users using one of the formats more than the other.

Bottom line - grab your Xbox360 when it comes out, and enjoy it for the games you can play on it. You can always flog it later when HD-DVD drives appear on it and if there's no option to upgrade.

21. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure if this is identical to the first post, but hopefully has a bit more info .... lookie here

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    But MS would be shooting themselves in the foot if there was no option to upgrade at some point. Unless, MS releases a premium version of the console with different price tag.

23. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I really would like to see how Microsoft are going to swap out the initially released Xbox 360 DVD drives with HD-DVD units.

I can see this all ending up in a complete mess.