Quantcast

Xbox 360 is not as powerful as ps3....say Sony

Jay

Banned
Here are more confident words from sony...

Sony president Kaz Hirai has fired a broadside at Microsoft's Xbox 360, saying that assumptions that the console is as powerful as the PlayStation 3 "simply is not true."

"No other next generation entertainment system pushes the envelope on advanced technology like PS3," Hirai told Blu-Ray Daily in a CES interview.

"People say that a high-capacity game delivery vehicle like Blu-ray isn't necessary in a next generation computer entertainment system. But you just can't expect that 9GBs of storage capacity found on today's DVDs are going to have enough space to hold tomorrow's games, he said. "Resistance: Fall of Man simply wouldn't be possible on any other system without using multiple discs."

Speaking about PS3's launch - and seemingly extending the gaming handbag scuffle to Sony's other competitor, Nintendo - Hirai said that "A worldwide launch for any console is quite ambitious. In fact, it has never been done before. I suppose if we had simply done a mild upgrade to the PS2 and not pushed the envelope so hard, it would have been easier on ourselves. However, if we did that every time, we wouldn't be Sony."

Hirai then touched on the console's manufacturing problems: "I don't think anyone could have foreseen the difficulties we encountered in the production of the blue laser diode for the PlayStation 3, which ultimately delayed the launch of PlayStation 3. We were asking our teams to develop millions of components for the PlayStation 3, like the Blu-ray Disc player and cell broadband engine, that had previously only been produced in the thousands."

PlayStation 3 is expected to launch in the UK in March.

Coolit

Novice Member
Just goes to show how serious the competition is eating into Sony's market share if they are having to resort to statements like this.

I think Sony's just worried as the general opinion seems to be that the PS3 is equally matched by the cheaper 360.

W1zz

Novice Member
More Powerful = More Disc Storage :confused:

/me off to stick a 500gb HD into a Pentium II 350Mhz

Trist

A worldwide launch for any console is quite ambitious. In fact, it has never been done before.
Never been done before???

Eh?

I'd say Microsofts launch was a dam sight more world wide than Sony's where Europe seemingly fell off the worldwide launch map... surely that can be classed as being done before?

Why not talk about what the machine does well rather than trying to score cheap shots with my disk is bigger than yours playgroud cusses.

Your supposed to be selling a £425 product here... bloody promote it rather than making petty jibes at everyone else... especially when those jibes are borderline untrue.

messenger

So blah blah blue ray & storage space.

True fact is the 360 has a 512GPU, P$3 has a 256GPU. Add up the figures and see for yourself $ony. Graphics represent a consoles power...

So good is P$3 their 'live' service is down more than its up & from what i've seen games are looking to bright compared to the sweet lighting effects of the 360. And why oh why would anyone want to pay nearly £500 for an ugly heavy old brick like this. Of course the Sony heads will rush out & buy one but give it a few years & we'll see whose sold more units.

So as P$3 gets ready to go on sale in Europe news leaks the M$ guys are starting to draw up plans of the next carnation of the xbox(3). Ok its like years away from a street release but lets face it $ony are to far behind on the development cycle to ever catch up now.

RedAl

Distinguished Member
Is it not also the case that the PS3 uses vastly more power than the 360? Oh well, I guess it saves on having a radiator in the room you`ll be playing it then ;-)

Droogie 2001

Seems a strange statement. for them to make.
What about Oblivion that fitted nicely on one DVD? Oh sorry that’s been delayed on the PS3.
GOW which is the same sort of game (shooting stuff) also fits onto a DVD buts that’s not coming out the PS3 either.
Sounds like Sony are being lazy with compression..Or as they put it they don’t need to because Blu-Ray can hold so much data. Shame the blu-ray drive is so slow though. :D
Sorry for Fan boying but had a bad journey into work and needed something to rant at! :mad:

[email protected]

Novice Member
Says it all when their console couldnt produce RFOM if it had the same storage space as the 360 and yet the 360 is capable of GOWwhich is twice the game RFOM is.

The PS3 doesnt have the advantage of extra capacity, it NEEDS extra capacity to do the same things that the 360 does with far less. That isnt a plus point. Its like saying that a car has a range of 500 miles so it is more fuel effiecient than the car that only has a range of 300 miles. That simply isnt true when the car that can go 500 miles has a fuel tank that is 3 times bigger.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Xbox 360 is not as powerful as ps3....say Sony
And in other news, researchers say water is still wet.

Seriously though, it was only a matter of time before they started flinging about the more powerful phrase, despite them saying it wasn't important in the PS2 vs Xbox war. Shame Sony still haven't shown me a PS3 game that I want to buy yet.

Chewbacca

Novice Member
I have had My xbox 360 now for over a year just like alot of You guys on here and to be honest I have love ever minute of it especially the LIVE experience.:thumbsup:

I dont care if the PS3 is more powerful on paper than the 360 what does matter to Me is the gaming experience.

Jay

Banned
My fave part is
"Resistance: Fall of Man simply wouldn't be possible on any other system without using multiple discs

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
compression is the ps3s downfall,it needs the extra space for all the uncompressed data.
and resistance is poor,really not a great game at all.

emporer

Banned
As I own both systems I feel fairly placed to judge right now, and my honest opinion is that the 360 wipes the floor with the PS3 at this time, the only thing keeping my PS3 where it is and not on ebay is Motorstorm and Bluray playback, although I prefer the pq on my 360 HDDVD, Bluray has some of my fav films. Apart from that its a big ugly machine. I'm sure in time it will get better. MS have a online service which is second to none, Sony's might be free but i'd rather pay and have LIVE than the sorry excuse that is PS network, for the few machines out there on the PS Network it doesnt seem to cope with it well, cant imagine how it would cope when millions more PS3's are in peoples homes. As previously said RFOM is nowt against the masterpiece that is GOW, i'm sure I actually read that when you strip out all the crap vidz and stuff from RFOM then it would quite comfortably fit on a DVD9. That sony guy talks out of his butt.

Nanor

I have to say that i agree with his statement. The PS3 is the console of choice and by far the better system.

It has 1.21 Gigawatts of power and 2.5 TB of storage, combined with it's 3Hz GPU and it's amazing 5.345Hz CPU there's nothing that can touch it. The range of AAA titles available for it at launch is simply astounding and with such a smooth professional worldwide launch we should all be in awe. Why would anyone pick up a 360 when they can just as easily nip into any shop in Europe and pick up a PS3 for half the price.

Microsoft had to rip off their Online service and, let's face it, XBox Live will never live up to it, who wants seemless integration when you can have a bug ridden mess? I'm particularly looking forward to the new bundle that comes with the optional rattle that can be taped to the controller for that true gaming experience. I only hope the rumours are true and that the box of bull will be bundled at no extra cost. ;)

BradleyLove

Novice Member
I have had My xbox 360 now for over a year just like alot of You guys on here and to be honest I have love ever minute of it especially the LIVE experience.:thumbsup:

I dont care if the PS3 is more powerful on paper than the 360 what does matter to Me is the gaming experience.
This is a cracking quote and I applaud it.

On paper the PS3 is more powerful when you look at the combination of components.. but so what?

The Xbox came out after PS2 and was clearly more powerful but didn't succeed on anywhere near the same level. Power don't mean a great deal. It's all about the games and which ones are best for you.

I only recently bought an Xbox cos they were cheap and I have a grand total of about 12 games because they're the only ones that appeal. I have more like 40-50 for my PS2 because at that time the PS2 had the games I wanted.

I got sick of waiting for PS3 plus deemed there were enough games for 360 that I wanted, so I bought one. If enough games I want come out for PS3 then I'll buy that too.

It amazes me how defensive people get about a certain brand or console. Who's cares what others say about it? Who cares whether one's more powerful than the other? It's all about the games. Hell, the PS2 is so inferior to the 360 that it's silly - but that doesn't stop Guitar Hero being one of the all time great games!

Play games... not systems...

Jay

Banned
MS have a online service which is second to none, Sony's might be free but i'd rather pay and have LIVE than the sorry excuse that is PS network, for the few machines out there on the PS Network it doesnt seem to cope with it well, cant imagine how it would cope when millions more PS3's are in peoples homes.
I wonder why sony never talk about how good their online service is ;) Infact i don't think i have heard anyone say anything positive about the online service. The ps3 is a powerful machine, and will be home to some stunning games, however i think sony's downfall is that they soemtimes talk abit too much when it would be better off being quiet. It's understandable that they will talk positive about their own machine, (even microsoft have done similar but not to the extent sony have) but maybe they should keep quiet now, and let the games do the talking. :smashin:

rcaudwell

The EU launch is coming up fast (alledgedly) and Sony are probably getting slightly nervous and having to resort to stuff like this.
Completely unscientific as it may be, but most of my friend`s have been Sony gamers from Day 1, and I had to listen to PS2 v XBOX rubbish, then PS3 v 360 rubbish from them for years. One by one they have all got themselves a 360 and now rave about the system, xbox live etc. They also say they have no intention of getting a PS3 in the near future.
If Sony`s mismanagement of the whole PS3 affair, from price to manufacturing, to delays, has done this to their own loyal customers, what chance do they have.
I have no doubt it`s a good machine, Bluray playback is a nice feature and there will be great games for it at some point, but why wait several months and pay more £ when you can get a 360 which is available now, has HDDVD at a very reasonable cost and already has the great games and online experience.

Ratinho

They are probably right. It's irrelevant of course, actual buld parts and stats are as ever fairly redundant in this situation. There'll be almost no difference between what gets produced on the two systems but morons will argue their non-points way into the future.

Plus, looking at the PS2's lifespan and the improvements over time in what developers were able to do with it, i'd expect the 360 to be consistently producing better stuff basically due to it's massive head start.

emporer

Banned
I wonder why sony never talk about how good their online service is ;) Infact i don't think i have heard anyone say anything positive about the online service. The ps3 is a powerful machine, and will be home to some stunning games, however i think sony's downfall is that they soemtimes talk abit too much when it would be better off being quiet. It's understandable that they will talk positive about their own machine, (even microsoft have done similar but not to the extent sony have) but maybe they should keep quiet now, and let the games do the talking. :smashin:
This is just the point, Sony are finding themselves on the back foot and need to do anything they can to hype up their product as they know due to poor sales in the US that they no longer have the share of the market that they did with the ps2. With 2 very strong competitors in the 360 and Wii I do think the market across the globe will be very even this gen and not swing either way. This kind of blatent lying by Sony does reinforce the desperation in their company, SCEE is the only division within Sony that makes any money these days and they put all their eggs in the one basket this time, its one huge gamble that aint paying off at the moment.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
one major problem to be looked at for the ps3,is that,the games,are not all exclusives now..and that will be a big hurdle for them to get over.
couple that with the fact that there are 3 in the running now,2 in most parts of the world before the ps3,its an uphill struggle..the wii is the one surprise,at just how popular it is.
the ps3,could be sonys undoing.
anyways,i just hope that metal gear solid at some point shows its head on the 360,that would make me happy,its about the only thing at the moment id buy a ps3 for,blu-ray,nope,not interested just now,cheap dvds,will suffice till it all calms down.

AgentCool

Novice Member
In this month's EDGE there's a funny quote from Sony in the 'Sound Bytes' section that pretty much sums up how arrogant they are. After being rumbled regarding the PSP viral marketing fiasco they responded by saying, "Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony. Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products." (February 2007, p. 16)

Ideally, I would like to eventually own all 3 next-gen consoles but as long as Sony keep coming up with rubbish like the above I will stick with my 360 and Wii.

Jay

Banned
I think regardless, the ps3 will win the console war. I mean the 360 is pretty much deadish (is that even a word :D ) in japan, and will eventually outsell the 360 in europe and usa. But it won't be the walkover sony think it'll be in europe and usa.

emporer

Banned
I think regardless, the ps3 will win the console war. I mean the 360 is pretty much deadish (is that even a word :D ) in japan, and will eventually outsell the 360 in europe and usa. But it won't be the walkover sony think it'll be in europe and usa.
I disagree, I think it will be an even keel in American and Europe, neither will outdo each other in the sales which means a victory for MS.

AgentCool

Novice Member
The other thing that annoys me about Sony is how they constantly pump out 'cool' buzzwords like "Emotion Engine" and "Cell" to make their consoles sound as ambiguous, and therefore amazing, as possible. In this regard, I really admire Nintendo for not even entirely revealing what is inside the Wii. At the end of the day, it's all about the games and making ludicrous statements about "Toy Story graphics" (PS2) simply lowers Sony's integrity and takes valuable attention away from the games they hope to sell to actually make a profit.

Jay

Banned
I disagree, I think it will be an even keel in American and Europe, neither will outdo each other in the sales which means a victory for MS.
Only thing is if that is the case and they are pretty much on par in europe and usa, the ps3 will sell more units in japan which will mean that in total sales worldwide the ps3 will be ahead.