Xbox 360 Input connections, what's best for me?

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I'd like to move my Xbox 360 from upstairs to my bedroom regulary. Now I know the x360 £279 package comes with the component HD cable, I'm not sure whether I could use that or not on a standard type composite TV or what, I doubt it, take a look below and leave your thoughts please.

Downstairs setup: 32" Widescreen Toshiba TV

I have the Xbox 1 RGB Scart Cable would that work for Xbox 360 as the connection looks the same on the back of both consoles, or would I have to buy the new Xbox 360 Scart AV Cable?
Now I'm assuming RGB would be the best way to connect using my old Xbox RGB cable prefrably, if that will not work then I could either opt for S-Video or the new Xbox 360 Scart AV Cable.

Bedroom setup: 19" Dell CRT Monitor

Now I'm no HD expert, but I thought I'd tap in here what I know so someone can advise me the best setup.

The current resolution is set to 1024x768, it goes upto a maximum of 1600x1200.
Would the Xbox 360 HD AV Cable benefit me here, as I would like to get the benefit of HD on my monitor until I can afford the 42" plasma. now the cable on the 360 lead looks the same as a standard monitor cable which goes from your monitor to the PC, but how do i connect it to my monitor from the Xbox as my monitor has no inputs on the back. Does it perphaps go into a male/female scenario of plugging the Xbox 360 VGA cable from 360 into monitors VGA cable which would normally go straight into PC.

I thought this setup would be ideal to get the benefits of HD until the prices of the HD ready LCD and plasmas drop dramatically :rolleyes:

I'm in pretty much the same situation. I think i'm going to hook it up to a monitor, as although screen size will be smaller, the resolution will be much higher. However, with the games being in widescreen, there will be black bars top and bottom i think.

Does the Tv downstairs have component input? If not, then You'll need the SCART cable (if it's RGB input rather than composite - you'll need to check), or an S-Video AV one, which would be the next best if SCART is composite after all.

For the LCD monitor - VGA with a female-female adapter. Alternatively, a KVM unit - then you won't have to disconnect the VGA cable from the PC every time. Leave the MS VGA cable in the KVM, and remove their connector. Take 360 downstairs and plug in whichever cable your Tv can use, as outlined in above paragraph.
That and the power cable of course.

That's all there is to it.

the Tv downstairs i don't think has component, thats HD ain't it? I know it has composite i think its called, yellow white and red phono type cables to plug in the front, and i have an s-video socket next to them. I think an RGB Scart would be best, if the original Xbox Advanced RGB Scart works then thats great, otherwise I have to buy the new one.

Also, how am i gonna connect my 5.1 upto my x360, will all microsoft 360 cables have the 5.1 optical output built on the lead like the advance cable did for xbox 1?

Will my XBOX RGB lead work on the 360? I don't see why I need to buy another RGB lead for the 360 if I already have a perfectly good one already.

Waynej said:
the Tv downstairs i don't think has component, thats HD ain't it? I know it has composite i think its called, yellow white and red phono type cables to plug in the front, and i have an s-video socket next to them. I think an RGB Scart would be best, if the original Xbox Advanced RGB Scart works then thats great, otherwise I have to buy the new one.

Also, how am i gonna connect my 5.1 upto my x360, will all microsoft 360 cables have the 5.1 optical output built on the lead like the advance cable did for xbox 1?

You can identify a component input as 3 phono inputs marked red/green/blue. However, just because a tv has component input it doesn't automatically mean that the set is also high def. While you can buy 1080i compatible crt sets, they're extremely rare and expensive. I very much doubt your crt tv is HDTV compatible and you don't know about it. For you, the point of a component lead is that it will carry a progressive picture giving a better picture than RGB scart that delivers an interlaced picture.

So, the Hi-Def component cable that comes with the premium package is better than an RGB scart cable, so thats good then as i get that cable with my 360, but where do i plug them, the component cable does not have yeloow white and red leads to plug in does it? white and red don't matter as i use 5.1 but as long as the yellow is there for the picture, and the lead has the socket for my fibre optic cabel then it should be ok?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom