1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 - high definition

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Xbox360_Junkie, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya guys

Im just about to order a HD ready LCD screen for a home cinema and my xbox 360 console, whenever i get one (around Dec 2nd). I know the initial console is going to be connected via a HDMI port on the back of my screen. I know the gaming experience will be in High Definition, however, will the DVD playback be in high definition too. Does anyone know?

The thing is, i want to get the best DVD experience aswell as gaming. I was thinking about getting a PAL Progressive Scan home cinema system for a better DVD picture quality. But if the Xbox 360 can supply high definition playback on DVD i wont. Ill just got some pucker surround speakers and possible save myself a few bob.

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    You must be getting a very limited edition of the xbox 360 then, as it only connects through component or scart.

3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    according to comet or currys website the 360 does upscaled DVD's, not sure by how much tho, as for connections it will be component on the better model

4. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will upscale to 720p?

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think VGA or component is the limit for HD. Scart wont show a hi def pic. I plan on conecting my 360 to my 1920X1200 monitor through VGA.

It should look stuning.

I heard that eventually somone will make an HDMI cable. But The XBox doesnt have HDCP protection, so im not sure if HDMI is actually possible or not since all HDMI conections are HDCP.

DVi-D might be possible. But quality wise would it be all that different from VGA?

Not if all the games are 720p. If they decided to use 1080i or even 1080p then I would say that HDMI would make a huge difference.

6. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The Xbox 360 will not upscale dvds to 720p or 1080i but once the hacker get hold of them they will.

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    it does not matter who makes a HDMI cable for the 360 as the output from the console is analouge. to have a true digital signal M$ themselves would have to modify the console to output digitally. this will only happen IMO if they re-release the console with a HD-DVD drive

8. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    MS have said that the port on the back of the 360 can output digital, they just dont "see the need" for a digital cable right now.

like i said about upscaling either currys or comets website says it does, and it wont be too much of a shock if it does

9. MrHat

MrHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox 360 definatly Outputs through VGA.. microsoft are releasing a VGA cable with the console.

10. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Strange since I'ved read in several places that it does upscale DVD's and even the MS Xbox rep I talked to says it does. I gues we will find out in a few weeks.

11. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this is all a bit strange. I just brought one of the latest edditions of "What Plasma and LCD TV" and within this issue there is a section called "Games Feature" and "Group Test". Basically, it compares a vareity of LCD and Plasma screens and identifies which one will be best to accompany one of the three next generation consoles (I.E Revoultion, 360 and PS3).

This is a small piece of text taken from the "Games Feature" section:

"WHAT TV DO I NEED"

"If your after an LCD or Plasma TV good enough to use with one of the next generation consoles, high definition consoles, there are a few things you need to know. Put simply, you need a TV labelled "HD Ready" - which will also be capable of displaying HDTV when it arrives. The Xbox 360 and PS3 and Revolution will come with HDMI outputs, and all HD-Ready LCD's (there's no such thing as an HD-Ready CRT TV) have this input"

So there you go...we will all just have to find out, it's quite a reliable source though, why would they dedicate such a huge section of their magazine to this if it all proved to be false?

Regards

EDIT:

As for AVG PC Inputs, i was thinking about using an adapter to hook up a DENON PAL Progressive Scan DVD home cinema kit.

12. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Thing is they are a TV publication not a games one. The 360 is definitely just Scart, Component or VGA at launch.

The official 360 magazine mentions that DVI support is expected and future HDMI support has not been confirmed.

The net is littered with confirmation of the above - I wouldn't take any notice of what your magazine has said although I guess it could happen in the future. I think PS3 will have HDMI from day one though - not sure on that!

13. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, how would i connect it?

I've just been browsing the net and found this:

"Xbox 360 will support HD component video output, which is compatible with nearly every HD-ready TV on the market today. We’re poised to hit the sweet spot of the HD market at launch and as the market matures, and we will provide an HDMI for our customers when it makes sense. The reality is, you don’t need HDMI for HD gaming".

It's part of an interview with Todd Holmdahl, Corporate Vice President of the Xbox Product Group.

I have a Component video Via PC Input connection on my screen, so i must be able to do something...

Regards

14. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    You need to either get a component to VGA adapter or buy the optional 360 official VGA cable.

15. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, they are certainly wrong about the revolution - Nintendo recently confirmed that it would be not output HD, as they felt there was no need.

16. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Has anything been confirmed about whether the 720p mode is 50hz or 60hz?

Im hoping it's the latter as my TV doesnt support 720p/50 :(

17. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Probably both!

18. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    It would be a shame to have to buy the new Samsung model just to play 360 in hi-def ;)

19. weavib

weavib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hoping for 60hz option too. Has anyone seen any confirmation?

20. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    That magazine you mentioned is right about the PS3 having HDMI, but wrong about the 360 and Revolution having it.

No one really knows what revo will use yet, but its probably going to be Component @ 525p.

The 360 will do 720p and 1080i through Component and VGA. Possibly through DVI later.

HDMI is a possibility but why bother with it since its just going to make it harder to conect the 360 to a display?

Remember that HDMI is encrypted with HDCP. Which means the display you use to conect something with HDMI also needs to be HDCP.
    Currently only Hi def TV's with HDMI conections have HDCP encryption.
    I have yet to see a monitor with HDMI or HDCP.

The PS3 will output 1080p through HDMI using HDCP.
    Thats the way sony want it, and thats the way its going to be.

Same goes for stuff like Blu Ray, and since the PS3 has a Blu Ray drive, it makes sense why the PS3 has HDMI. (2 as a matter of fact)

21. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    actually it'd be quite a shock, as I believe the DVD forum prevent upscaling of DVDs to HD over component. Thats only doable using HDMI. not a technical reason, just a business/political one.