Xbox 360 Hi Definition problems?

S

Strideristhebes

I've found out today that the Xbox 360's HD is accessed by a component lead, but I thought that High Definition could only be accessed by a hdmi or (DCI?) port.

HD can be carried over component. It is the HDCP copy protection that requires a digital connection. Hence the copyright owners for pre-recorded material (such as movies) can insist that their material is only playable through a (HDCP) digital connection.

However, if Microsoft tell the game producers that they aren't going to fit a digital video connection (keeps the cost down and also better compatibility with older display devices), then the games companies don't have much choice.

Its not the video coming out of the xbox that games producers would want to protect any way -I doubt they'd care much if someone had a bit perfect copy of a level of Halo3 for example.

Might be limited for using as a media player though, especially DRM protected stuff

The official cable provided by Microsoft with the console will feature component connections. Although you can bet that company's like Ixos will be busy producing their own versions with hdmi connectivity :thumbsup:

Strideristhebes said:
Xbox 360's HD is accessed by a component lead,

Hi

I have my DVD to plasma component does this mean that I have to
put back DVD to Scart or can you use a splitter for component so you
have two items plugged in ?

Terry

Hi Terry,

You can get various splitters. You could buy an AV Amp which would have 2 or more component input's and 1 or more outputs and use that as a splitter, especially if you're thinking of going for a full surround system. I use my Arcam AVR300 to perform these duties, it has 3 in and one output.

Or you could get a dedicated splitter box. One of the ones used by a few on the forums is the JSTech one . This is a 2 in 1 out splitter.

Personally I've got their RGB to component and component buffer from JSTech and they give me a cracking picture in conjunction with the Arcam :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

No not going for the full surround had it before to many wires
to many speakers to much switching around got enough problems
with getting TV how I like the Xbox 360 will be for my HD DVD's when they come out
and for the Grandson's when they come round and of cause for me
with a few racing and Pinball's games ...........

Terry

deltatango301 said:
Hi Andy

No not going for the full surround had it before to many wires
to many speakers to much switching around got enough problems
with getting TV how I like the Xbox 360 will be for my HD DVD's when they come out
and for the Grandson's when they come round and of cause for me
with a few racing and Pinball's games ...........

Terry
The Xbox 360 won't play HD DVDs. In fact, it won't even upscale standard DVDs to a HD resolution.

Microsoft have talked about HD DVD support in the future, but that would require a different drive in the machine, plus HDMI/DVI connectivity and would split their user base even more than they already have with the Core/Premium systems, so I think it's unlikely that we'll see an Xbox 360 with HD DVD, or at least, not for a long time.

James.

taffyboyo said:
The official cable provided by Microsoft with the console will feature component connections. Although you can bet that company's like Ixos will be busy producing their own versions with hdmi connectivity :thumbsup:
Microsoft haven't announced any digital video output capabilities for the Xbox 360, and it's something you would expect them to have done, if it can support digital video output, so I don't expect there to be a solution for HDMI/DVI, unles it takes an analogue output and converts it to digital, which would be a bit pointless.

James B said:
The Xbox 360 won't play HD DVDs. In fact, it won't even upscale standard DVDs to a HD resolution.

James.

Hi James

I am sure I read somewhere here on the forums that it would play HD DVD's
if it wont I will cancel my order maybe I was getting confused with the
New PS3 coming out next year will that play HD DVD's ?

Terry

deltatango301 said:
Hi James

I am sure I read somewhere here on the forums that it would play HD DVD's
if it wont I will cancel my order maybe I was getting confused with the
New PS3 coming out next year will that play HD DVD's ?

Terry
The Xbox 360 has a standard DVD drive in, HD DVD will require an HD DVD drive (plus HDMI/DVI output with HDCP), so the Xbox 360 will not play HD DVDs. It may well play WMV HD DVD discs, which are essentially DVD Roms with Windows Media High Definition files on, but this is not a standard, and there are only a handful of these discs available.

The Playstation 3 will have a Blu Ray drive, along with HDMI output with HDCP, so will be able to play Blu Ray discs, which contain High Definition movies, but will not play HD DVD.

I'm sure you're aware that there are 2 camps at the moment for the HD disc format, HD DVD and Blu Ray, which in many ways are very similar, but are ultimately incompatible with each other. HD DVD looked to have an edge by launching earlier than Blu Ray, but they've delayed their launch, so my money's on Blu Ray winning the HD disc format war.

It's been stated many times that first generation of Xbox 360 will have regular DVD drive, but Microsoft plan to put HD-DVD drives in as soon as they are available in sufficient volume. Then the Xbox 360 will play HD-DVD movies, however, PS3 will have BluRay from the start.

StooMonster

Microsoft haven't announced any digital video output capabilities for the Xbox 360

The signal coming out of the XBOX360 will be digital, as was the case for the XBOX and for that matter many other consoles. If there is any conversion going on, it is digital>>Analogue, not the other way around.

Hi

OK confuse me more please :lease:

So does that mean that Xbox 360 will be upgradable to HD DVD
later ? so which way is the best way ? maybe Sky box + HD DVD
or PS3 Help help help

Terry

Dont buy either if your baseing buying a console for media playback. Buy a console based on games you want for it not media play back.

StooMonster said:
It's been stated many times that first generation of Xbox 360 will have regular DVD drive, but Microsoft plan to put HD-DVD drives in as soon as they are available in sufficient volume. Then the Xbox 360 will play HD-DVD movies, however, PS3 will have BluRay from the start.

StooMonster
Microsoft have said nothing on the matter, other than 1 quote Bill Gates made in June that said 'future versions of the Xbox 360 may include HD DVD or something else'

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=10476

deltatango301 said:
Hi

OK confuse me more please :lease:

So does that mean that Xbox 360 will be upgradable to HD DVD
later ? so which way is the best way ? maybe Sky box + HD DVD
or PS3 Help help help

Terry

if you buy the x360 at launch, it will not, on most likely never will, play hd-dvd. Only future editions of x360 will 'possibly' play hd-dvd. Also, they can never release games that support the extra storage hd-dvd can offer, since that will exclude everybody who bought x360 at launch with a regular dvd drive. So a future x360 version will possibly contain hd-dvd movie compatibility, and may not be the best movie player (like the ps2 was really crap at dvd) so if you want hd-dvd playback buy a dedicated player.
Ps3 have bluray from get go so it'll play bluray movies, have games which benefit from bluray storage etc etc.

as supermackem said buy a console based on the games released on it.
and the movie format war that is about to happen will have little or no influence on the content of games on these machines, which is what you primarily want to use it for.

biased opinion: buy the ps3. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

supermackem said:
Dont buy either if your baseing buying a console for media playback. Buy a console based on games you want for it not media play back.
Absolutely

Gotta admit the media playback on games consoles is of no interest to me... its all about the games and the features... particularly online... thats why I will be buying the Xbox360... the LIVE online service is beyond compare in the console world (not hard I suppose) and Sony will never catch up.

Sony seem to be a little too much "style over substance"

Microsoft is not putting a HD-DVD drive into their XBOX360.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-09-27
However, Microsoft, while saying that the next generation of its Windows operating system will be designed to work with HD DVD, decided not to integrate the format in its upcoming Xbox 360 videogame console, which will use a standard DVD system.

Wasabi

If you're looking for a console that will make the most of an HD display, then PS3 is the way to go, on launch day you'll be able to pick up a game and a movie and enjoy both in High Definition. That's my plan anyway! :D

Northerner76 said:
Gotta admit the media playback on games consoles is of no interest to me... its all about the games and the features... particularly online... thats why I will be buying the Xbox360... the LIVE online service is beyond compare in the console world (not hard I suppose) and Sony will never catch up.

Sony seem to be a little too much "style over substance"

If Style means I dont have to fork out an extra £300 for a BluRay player when the PS3 will do it all for me then :smashin: ;)

Sony arnt dumb, the PS3 will have a vastly improved online gaming service compared to the minimal efforts that they gave the PS2.

Everyboday is just thinking ps3 will playback br movies. I have looked through loads of the news etc when they annouced it but they didnt really go into detial about the br movie playback that i can find. Would sony offer you full br playback on ps3, when its trying to shift br plays at upto three times what ps3 should launch for. On paper ps3 should be the best playback unit also due to all the extra ommph with the super cell lol and the 512mb and the gfx card. Just seems a strange move to me.

James B said:

Sure I know that it ain't gonna play HD-DVD stuff (due to the lack of an HD-DVD drive), but has this lack of upscaling been confirmed by MS? If that's the case then I'll have to be looking at getting an Oppo or Samsung HD950 for my upscaling DVD thrills...which would be an ass-pain.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom