Xbox 360 Headset Choices

XaiXo

Standard Member
Hey AVF.

I'm currently in a quandary.

I am looking for a new, high-quality headset for the Xbox 360, and would appreciate help in choosing one.

Currently, I use a SteelSeries 5XB. It's decent, but nothing spectacular. However, I recently acquired my Razer Onza TE. The SteelSeries LiveMix adapter isn't compatible with the Onza, and I refuse to go back to the fault-ridden land of regular Xbox 360 controllers.

So, I need a new headset.

There appears to be 4 major competitors: Tritton AX Pros, Astro A40s, Turtle Beach X41s and Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1s.

My main priorities are sound quality, build quality, mic quality and value for money.

I've done some research, and that almost invalidates the X41s straight away. I can't stand Turtle Beach headsets, but I've never used the X41s myself. Either way, I'd prefer to avoid them, but I've left them in just in case.

As it stands, I think the A40s are very expensive for what they are. I'd prefer to have a limit of £150, but if they're really worth the extra £50-60, I'd go for it.

I've heard that the AX Pros are almost as good, but have a ridiculous amount of wiring. Same story with the almost identical Sharkoons.

So, can anybody help me to narrow this down?

Thanks in advance!

markwww673

check out this thread and you should get your answer

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/1398224-decent-headphones-xbox-360-part-8-a-8.html a few posts to read though...

The Astro's will not plug into a 360 without a mixamp by the way.

Try the A30s + mixamp close to 150 but wired. As you have a Onza wired controller that isn't a problem for you? I had the A40 combo but changed to Sennheiser PC360 + mixamp.

lime360.com is a good retailer with a great rep for any purchases.

Last edited:

XaiXo

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah - Being wired isn't an issue. I'd like to avoid having half a dozen wires like the Trittons have, but c'est la vie.

I know about the Mixamp requirement, but is it possible to use the Sharkoon with the Mixamp? I've heard that the Sharkoon doesn't fit onto the Razer Onza.

DR Kronenbourg

Hey AVF.

I'm currently in a quandary.

I am looking for a new, high-quality headset for the Xbox 360, and would appreciate help in choosing one.

Currently, I use a SteelSeries 5XB. It's decent, but nothing spectacular. However, I recently acquired my Razer Onza TE. The SteelSeries LiveMix adapter isn't compatible with the Onza, and I refuse to go back to the fault-ridden land of regular Xbox 360 controllers.

So, I need a new headset.

There appears to be 4 major competitors: Tritton AX Pros, Astro A40s, Turtle Beach X41s and Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1s.

My main priorities are sound quality, build quality, mic quality and value for money.

I've done some research, and that almost invalidates the X41s straight away. I can't stand Turtle Beach headsets, but I've never used the X41s myself. Either way, I'd prefer to avoid them, but I've left them in just in case.

As it stands, I think the A40s are very expensive for what they are. I'd prefer to have a limit of £150, but if they're really worth the extra £50-60, I'd go for it.

I've heard that the AX Pros are almost as good, but have a ridiculous amount of wiring. Same story with the almost identical Sharkoons.

So, can anybody help me to narrow this down?

Thanks in advance!

fault ridden xbox controller???? tell me more as i have got a brand new razer onza which i have just sold because it is a pile of ***** compared to the official controller, so advise me on what i have missed:rolleyes::laugh:

by the way the x41s work with the onza fine;)

XaiXo

Standard Member
fault ridden xbox controller???? tell me more as i have got a brand new razer onza which i sold because it is a pile of ***** compared to the official controller, so advise me on what i have missed:rolleyes::laugh:

by the way the x41s work with the onza fine;)

Let's see...

-Joysticks becoming increasingly loose, ending up not returning to centre
-Joysticks losing tension
-Rubber membranes being worn down to nothing, causing buttons to not respond
-Buttons sticking
-Slooow response speeds
-Squeaking triggers

The Onza Tournament Edition solved all of those issues, as well as throwing in Bumper Jumper settings for every game, far superior response from buttons (which will last more or less forever) and adjustable tension on the sticks. Way, way better. Only major downside is the ridiculous placement of Start and Back, and certain mics not fitting it's shape.

markwww673

back to topic :D

Why not keep the 5xbs (I had a set & they are not bad at all). Buy a mixamp which will give you dolby headphone 5.1. You can sell the Steelseries puck & put it towards the mixamp. Having the mixamp will open up the whole 'upgrade to better' headsets bug though !!!!

off topic again :D

p.s +1 for the Onza here. It seems a lot of people have dismissed the Onza very quickly after only a few games while comparing it to a pad many have be using for years in 000's of games. I for one like the placement of the start/back buttons. Plus no sign of the 'left stick creep' I get with the MS pad. Some say this is due to a over voltage issue when the headphone setting is at max 10 setting.

DR Kronenbourg

well its funny i have had my controller for 2 and a half years now and not an issue, used the onza for about 1 hour and it felt like it was going to fall apart, rubbers on top of sticks wont last 6 months for sure and as for the stick tensioning if used regularly that will break in around 2 months, buttons are far to sensitive and rattle about in housing like the eyeballs in a kids toy, and as for the 2 extra bumpers, they are that close together you need 5 year old hands not to hit them both at the same time, so i think i will stick with the original.

XaiXo

Standard Member
well its funny i have had my controller for 2 and a half years now and not an issue, used the onza for about 1 hour and it felt like it was going to fall apart, rubbers on top of sticks wont last 6 months for sure and as for the stick tensioning if used regularly that will break in around 2 months, buttons are far to sensitive and rattle about in housing like the eyeballs in a kids toy, and as for the 2 extra bumpers, they are that close together you need 5 year old hands not to hit them both at the same time, so i think i will stick with the original.

I've had dozens of standard 360 controllers, wired, wireless, elite, slim etc., and all of them have suffered the same faults. The buttons wear out so quickly with the amount of use I give them, and the joysticks are flimsy to begin with.

You must have had a dodgy shipment, because my Onza feels solid as anything. The rubber is already lasting longer than the standard (and it actually sticks, rather than MS's slidefest). Button sensitivity is a huge bonus - The closer a controller can be to a mouse, the better.

The normal bumpers are usable, you just can't slam your finger on it. I've never used my bumpers like that, I've always pressed them with the middle joint of my index finger, which works fine on the Onza. The extra bumpers require a finger position change, but using my hand placement, they're fine. I can see where a "normal" gamer's hand position would bump both buttons, though.

back to topic :D

Why not keep the 5xbs (I had a set & they are not bad at all). Buy a mixamp which will give you dolby headphone 5.1. You can sell the Steelseries puck & put it towards the mixamp. Having the mixamp will open up the whole 'upgrade to better' headsets bug though !!!!

off topic again :D

The problem is that I use my 5XBs with more than my Xbox, meaning they have very quickly become quite worn. Still perfectly usable, but I want a new headset that is for gaming only.

The Mixamp is what plugs into the controller, correct? It would work out cheaper to get the Sharkoons and a separate Mixamp than to buy the Astro A40 bundle, so if they're compatible, that's an option.

I think my distaste for the Start/Back location simply stems from using the Back button so often on Bad Company 2. It just seems like a pointless shift, making hitting the Back button more difficult than necessary. The Start button isn't a big deal, though.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Just a quick reminder to stay on-topic here - controller discussions, and their merits/limitations can be discussed in their relevant threads :)

Cheers,
tsf.

XaiXo

Standard Member
Ok, after further sleuthing, I've found a possible setup: Astro MixAmp linked to a Turtle Beach HPX1. Thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom