• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360: HDMI + Optical connection

v CJ v

Prominent Member
I have searched, and the only topics I could find were related to non HDMI xbox's.

I've got an Elite, and plan to plug this into an Onkyo amp via HDMI, and Optical for true 5.1 sound.

I've noticed the opitcal OUT on the xbox is on the Component cable pack, how can I get this to work?

JimboJambo86

Established Member
did u not get the audio dongle? i got one with the elite, has 2 phonos and and optical out on it, goes in the component socket.
if not you can do this:
YouTube - Optical and HDMI on Xbox 360 at same time- adapter hack
As easy as 1/2/3....

1473305444_e9a000bf7e_o.gif

Taken from: http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

As I said, it took me about 10 seconds to do.

There is absolutely no need to spend any money on Microsoft's "offering".

Last edited:

v CJ v

Prominent Member
Is your Onkyo amp not HDMI compatible? Just use the one HDMI cable for video and audio if it is.

The amp is HDMI compatiable, but as far as I know it doesn't carry true 5.1 through the HDMI input.

It states I'd need opitcal IN to gain true surround sound.

I'll take a look in the packaging I have for the Elite, if not, I'll be trying that bodge job ;)

Moogle

Distinguished Member
The amp is HDMI compatiable, but as far as I know it doesn't carry true 5.1 through the HDMI input.

I'll take a look in the packaging I have for the Elite, if not, I'll be trying that bodge job ;)

You should have got the audio dongle/adapter with your Elite. All 360 Elites come with one. I got one with my Elite which I currently use as I'm using HDMI for video and digital optical for surround sound.

Last edited:

beasty54

Distinguished Member

which onkyo amp is it? I very much doubt it cant do 5.1 over HDMI but a model number will help us answer that

*EDIT*

I see which amp your looking at now and yes it doesn't support audio over HDMI so you would need the optical lead connected. As others have said, the audio dongle should have been included with your Elite.

If you do purchase that amp, keep it in mind that you wont be able to take advantage of any of the HD soundtracks found on most Blu-Rays.

Last edited:

v CJ v

Prominent Member
If you do purchase that amp, keep it in mind that you wont be able to take advantage of any of the HD soundtracks found on most Blu-Rays.

You say soundtracks. I assume you mean the music video / extras? Rather than actual in-movie soundtracks?

I've got the amp on backorder, and purchased the optical cables I need now.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
No he means HD soundtracks (recorded in TrueHD or DTS-MA), these would usually be the main movie soundtrack but extras could also be recorded in them. Your amp will still be able to decode the Doly Digital and DTS soundtracks which are usually there as an alternative to the HD audio.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Using an amp like yours will give you 5.1 surround from Dolby Digital or DTS from blurays. Your TV will only be stereo. What you are missing out on is the HD audio (which can be upto 7.1 and is less compressed than dolby digital or DTS).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom