xbox 360 hd-dvd not playing full screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_friend

Established Member
Reaction score
I have it connected to my TV via VGA and i get black bars (MI3) are HD-dvd not anamorphic

does the component cable display full screen?

i have a toshiba wlt58

help i hate black bars?

Its the film itself, not the 360 or imput cable or TV. Have you not ever noticed that your others DVD's are letterboxed?

I agree with you hating them though, HD looks awesome full screen, im sure it looks good still but it looks even better full-screen-efied. People tend to either love them or hate them.

Watch a full screen version, instead of the original aspect ratio? Yuk!! :eek:

Do you know how much of the film you would be missing? :devil:

I HATE BLACK BARS:mad:

Black bars SUCK!!! why have a 42" screen to then have 20% of it lost to F###ing black bars..i'd rarther have an 1" of both sides anyday!

SORRY rant over..:rolleyes:

Black bars SUCK!!! why have a 42" screen to then have 20% of it lost to F###ing black bars..:

..........because you lose nearly 30% of the picture either side of frame when you turn a letterbox OAR into a 4:3.

But each to their own :thumbsup:

have it full screen and let the user decide if they want black bars or not.....

HD-dvd what a dissapointment it's just like the early days of DVD they think we are stupid or something.

Hi-def is supposed to be new school technology but it's turning out to be changing rooms..........

h
Hi-def is supposed to be new school technology but it's turning out to be changing rooms..........

Because they show films in original aspect ratio?

have it full screen and let the user decide if they want black bars or not.....

HD-dvd what a dissapointment it's just like the early days of DVD they think we are stupid or something.

please explain your post makes no sense..

you cant just remove the black bars as you then change the aspect ratio it was filmed in:lease:

please explain you post makes no sense, you cant just remove the black bard as you then change the aspect ratio it was filmed in:lease:

I think the OP might be more interested in pixels rather than the film itself

You hate black bars?

You are a racist mam! All bars are equal!

I dont mind them, the picture is that good you shouldnt notice them.

please explain your post makes no sense..

you cant just remove the black bars as you then change the aspect ratio it was filmed in:lease:

i've not have any problems in the TS file format, how about a option to kepp aspect ratio or not ie put the film on the disc in Anamorphic widescreen like so many DVD's.

Not that I would do this, but I'm sure that there is an option when you play a dvd to change it to full screen now. Surely the HDDVD has the same?

If fullscreen is so much better, why are all plasma and most Lcd displays in 16.9 format?

I can't bear to watch a film at full screen. Picture always seems really stretched.

You might find this interesting (or not!)
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen#Anamorphic_lens_enhancement

<b>"Since the anamorphic widescreen standard for DVDs includes letterboxing for aspect ratios wider than 16:9, the display device will still lose some resolution to the display of black bars for wider formats such as 2.39:1 films. This wasted resolution can be eliminated by using a front projector in conjunction with an anamorphic lens and a video processor: first, the video processor or scaler (such as an HTPC) stretches the video up to the full resolution of the projector, eliminating the wasted resolution but also distorts the image vertically. As the distorted image is projected, it passes through an anamorphic lens which will either shrink the video vertically or expand it horizontally, restoring the original aspect ratio in both cases[2]. Depending on the quality of the scaler and the lens, the end result is potentially a smoother video due to increased vertical resolution. If the anamorphic lens shrinks the image vertically, there is an added advantage of increased brightness, since light output has been condensed. In contrast, an anamorphic lens which stretches the image horizontally will also decrease its brightness. A similar approach can be used to convert a 4:3 projector into a 16:9 projector[2], or a 16:9 projector into a 4:3 projector (by rotating an anamorphic lens by 90 degrees)."</b>

Not much use for lcd/plasma owners, lol.

On normal dvd's (still wating for the hd-dvd drive) the 360 has ten levels of zoom, not ideal but one of those will fit the screen. Being hd, I'd imagine that zooming in will be kinder on the pic than it would be zooming in on an sd dvd.
Whilst not being overly keen on black bars myself, I'm less keen on losing picture; widescreen tv's simply aren't <i>wide enough</i> :D!
(sorry for the bloated post!)

oh come on this is an av forum :(

6 years on from the release of widescreen DVD and we are still getting posts about aspect ratio :mad:

240:1 is a natural veiwing ratio its how we see the world if you walked around seeing 4:3 or even 16:9 you would'nt see 30&#37; left to right in front of you. the goal is'nt to fill your nice big LCD/ Plasma its to make the movie feel as realistic as possible and enhance the experience.

btw anamorphic has **** all to do with aspect ratio :hiya:

yeah,just leave the anamorphic dvds to disney,kings of the 1:85:1 ratio.
if your not happy with the bars,then zoom it,either with the 360 or the tv,then enjoy your stretched image,whilst others will be happy seeing the full movie,the way it was intended to be seen.

Why would you want to only watch half a film by getting rid of the bars?

You might as well watch it by closing one eye and putting cotton wool in your ears.

I watched a video on Youtube yesterday and they said that there was no zoom function on the HD-DVD drive or discs. I haven't tried by drive to check that though

I watched a video on Youtube yesterday and they said that there was no zoom function on the HD-DVD drive or discs. I haven't tried by drive to check that though

Well they're wrong... "Rumor has it..." has a zoom feature and it will go up to x8 and allow you to pan around with the navigation buttons. Works really well - but not sure what you'd want to use it for :rolleyes:

The component cable will overscan, which will remove some - but not all - of the black bars (and movie). Only problem with that is that films that do fill more of the screen will lose a lot more of the movie...
You also won't be able to do dvd upscaling via the 360. If that's an issue for you.

btw, on that toshiba, wouldn't using component also open up the tv's display options?
(Turb007 - cheers for putting me straight on aspect ratios + anamorphic; clearly I need to read up more on the subject as I've got my info a "bit" skewed, lol)

I feel a bit ripped off, I have a 16:9 hd dvd disc (Constantine) and I get the black top and bottom border??? You get all those extra lines in hd dvd only to loose a lot of the screen to the borders??? I don't see the point?

I have panny PHD8 displaying at 720p, so is the xbox downscaling the 1080p to 720p?

Will any HD aspect ratio fill the whole screen?

I'm certainly not bowled over with HD, my SD is so good I guess that I can't really see any difference. I saw the hd demo's on a panny phd8 before I bought and it and looked amazing not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or maybe its just the borders and the thin picture that makes it look no different to SD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom