Xbox 360 HD-DVD Dolby plus HD and HDMI cable

Maybe. MS say it's possible (and the ATI chipset in the box can do it) but there's never been any officially announced... lots of rumours, some of them convincing enough to convince me there's a design in their backroom somewhere.

I suspect if it was easy though it would have been done ages ago. IMO it's more likely they release a 360-a or something with HDMI (and possibly HDDVD) built in.

MS may say they can do HDMI through the current 360, but it'll be without HDCP.

A 360 HDMI actually surfaced on the Lik-Sang website just before Sony closed them down.

It won't be long before Ms officially release one, maybe early next year?

Why? The 360 system is perfectly capble of doing this.

Im not sure about that well not without including the HDCP encryption/id chip in the dongle that connects to the 360 similar to the optical out i would guess

why can't it just be done in the software on the 360? Firmware drives HDCP on/off on all the HDMI transmitters chips currently which 'apply' HDCP as and when it is need (and often when it is not). Any HDMI solution will need a HDMI tranmitter anyway and if MS want 1.3 there is just no need to do it before chips are available otherwise everyone will be saying why not 1.3. The HDCP bit ain't rocket science.

why can't it just be done in the software on the 360? Firmware drives HDCP on/off on all the HDMI transmitters chips currently which 'apply' HDCP as and when it is need (and often when it is not). Any HDMI solution will need a HDMI tranmitter anyway and if MS want 1.3 there is just no need to do it before chips are available otherwise everyone will be saying why not 1.3. The HDCP bit ain't rocket science.

if they don't have a HDMI transmitter chip on the 360 motherboard right now, does that mean they can't have HDMI at all? breakdowns of the 360 don't seem to show a transmitter anyway.

I don't see how they can do it externally as that would mean passing unprotected digital video out of the 360 which wouldn't be allowed.

The transmitter would need to be in an external box yes, probably integrated into a cable array. The 360 will need to communicate with that and provide the secure link but I suspect that should be possible for the 360 to do. Similar to the 360 communicating with the current cables, knowing what is attached. MS have know about this for a long time now. Their current connector seems to have quite a bit of flexibility here.

The transmitter would need to be in an external box yes, probably integrated into a cable array. The 360 will need to communicate with that and provide the secure link but I suspect that should be possible for the 360 to do. Similar to the 360 communicating with the current cables, knowing what is attached. MS have know about this for a long time now. Their current connector seems to have quite a bit of flexibility here.

not going to be allowed then surely? No matter how you send the digital signal out of the 360 (assuming it even has digital video/multichanel audio out capability) it still won't be HDCP protected so will break AACS rules won't it?

Doesn't the standards say something like no unprotected or exposed lines. Surely MS can send protected data?

I would like a 5.1 Analogue cable for True HD sound (HDMI means nothing to me) but i'd just be happy with a fix to the DD+ and addition of the DTS. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom