xbox 360 hd dvd and power dvd 6.5

Froogle

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got my hd dvd working and the software set up but it won't play films.

When I try to play king kong I get an error message saying the disk is copy protected and my system is not set up to play this disk

I intially had it connected through DVI so changed over to VGA thinking it would work, but it wont.

Any ideas?

I am using an onboard geforce 6100

cheers

How many times does it need to be stated. you MUST have a HDCP ready interface to view protected content otherwise why would there be encryption on the new hd formats?

Well smart ass I managed to get it playing with a driver update on my graphics card so looks like you're wrong.

Perhaps I do have a HDCP ready interface but if you'd bothered to offer constructive advice then you may have checked.

I have a further question to anyone else willing to offer help...

I've got it working but the video is stuttering. Specs of the system is a Sempron AM2 3600, 1GB ram and onboard 6100 using 256mb shared.

CPU usage is at 100%, do you think it's the CPU that's causing it?

I am using a PCI-E TV Tuner so don't really want to upgrade the graphics card. I can stick in an X2 4200 and another 1GB of memory do you think this will solve the problem?

cheers

How many times does it need to be stated. you MUST have a HDCP ready interface to view protected content otherwise why would there be encryption on the new hd formats?

And also I thought that HDCP didn't come in to play if you connected via VGA. I did have it connected through DVI but then changed over as per original post.

HD is new technology. People are going to post "stupid" questions on a daily basis. I did do a search but couldn't find the answer to my question.

If this is the sort of attitude you give your potential customers then I certianly wouldn't buy anything from you.

I've got it working but the video is stuttering. Specs of the system is a Sempron AM2 3600, 1GB ram and onboard 6100 using 256mb shared.

CPU usage is at 100%, do you think it's the CPU that's causing it?

That's way underspecced for HD video I'm afraid.

The problem is the codec - These next-gen algorithms liike HS264 and VC9 are stupidly complex and take a lot of power to decode them.

The easiest solution would be to put in a new gfx card. I noticed the latest Nvidia drivers add HW decode support for these formats specifically so that should help considerably.

The side effect would be improved TV too - I have a plain ol 6600GT and the MPEG rendering for Freeview is far and away better than any flat-panel chipset I've seen, including the supposedly brilliany Sonys. (I run Nvidias PureVideo decoder too).

I guess you are doing this as a technical exercise because you have a 360 that could do it all with no bother at all :D

I rendered an animation in HD resolution and my PC just didn't like it, got the same problem I guess you have, with a stuttering video. It has to be the CPU I imagine, if it's running at 100% and still not keeping up. And ctrl+alt+delete doesn't tell you what the graphics card is doing either - I bet that's running at 100% too.

The 360 impresses me more though when you think about what the components must be to run HD videos without too much trouble, all available for less than £200.

And how many times must this be said ... No you dont!, HDCP is only a requirement if you are using HDMI / DVI, If you are using VGA, then currently it doesnt matter.

I didnt mean to be negative in my comment its just a bit of a contradiction to expect a next gen hd-dvd format to play on a low grade pc with 45 pound m/board and onboard graphics.

Your correct an analogue source will display some hd movies (bluray and hd-dvd) but you really are losing a lot of detail from a fully hdcp dvi/hdmi port with decent decoding support.

What I can't understand is that if you dont have a top-end htpc as your be all and end all, and if you own a 360 and the hd-dvd add-on, why you don't just play them thru the console?

Yeah that's what I thought that's why I tried it through VGA

It seems that even though Mr Kay is in the business he doesn't know what he's talking about !

Take the shame Mr Kay, take the shame.

And how many times must this be said ... No you dont!, HDCP is only a requirement if you are using HDMI / DVI, If you are using VGA, then currently it doesnt matter.

Mr Froogle, this wasnt intended to be a slagging match, and no shame is accountable to either party.

I just clearly stated that hdcp is required to view the protected material. Although you are able to view analogue through vga, this is not the full glory of the hd-dvd format, on your system you are not seeing anything close to hd-dvd standard, even aside to the stuttering, and this is quite pointless, and that was my original point - a contradiction to put a high def format on a low specced pc, which essentially is SD with a minor amount of upscaling, when you have a 360 infront of you which would do a much better job.

The simple point is if you want to use the hd-dvd drive for viewing hd-dvd movies on a pc you must have a pc with the vista capable spec and a hdcp supported graphics card.

Also if you go back to my previous posts over the past weeks you'll see I am the first on the forums to discover that vga is working on bluray & hd-dvd using the xfx 7950gt and the x1600pro, albeit a better contribution than this post.

The reason I am using onboard graphics is because I am using a mozart thermaltake case. As you'll know there isn't much room inside. I have my black gold PCI-E dual dvb-t, 5.1 sound card and pre-n wireless pci adapter running in it. That's the three slots fully used. I had to go for onboard graphics.

My 360 is in the spare room and I am using it on my HD LG LCD TV. I wasn't too bothered about running in the HTPC in the living room but thought I'd give it a try. I don't think I'd go to the expense of buying a top end graphics card as it would be easier to bring the xbox down from upstairs when I want to play and HD DVD.

I don't use the HTPC as my main media center since I moved house and had to get sky. The picture quality is terrible through the media center pc. I only use the pc for watching divx, recording the odd program off tv and playing music. I've got an upscaling dvd player for playin dvds through.

I didnt mean to be negative in my comment its just a bit of a contradiction to expect a next gen hd-dvd format to play on a low grade pc with 45 pound m/board and onboard graphics.

Your correct an analogue source will display some hd movies (bluray and hd-dvd) but you really are losing a lot of detail from a fully hdcp dvi/hdmi port with decent decoding support.

What I can't understand is that if you dont have a top-end htpc as your be all and end all, and if you own a 360 and the hd-dvd add-on, why you don't just play them thru the console?

I was only joking with the take the shame comment; I need something to relieve the boredom of work!

Regarding using the 360 to play the HD DVD then this seems pointless too. My Xbox is connected through VGA so it would be no better than the pc quality wise. Ok it wouldn't stutter but that's it.

I could use component but again this won't be ask good as DVI/HDMI and there is no such cable available for the 360...

Mr Froogle, this wasnt intended to be a slagging match, and no shame is accountable to either party.

I just clearly stated that hdcp is required to view the protected material. Although you are able to view analogue through vga, this is not the full glory of the hd-dvd format, on your system you are not seeing anything close to hd-dvd standard, even aside to the stuttering, and this is quite pointless, and that was my original point - a contradiction to put a high def format on a low specced pc, which essentially is SD with a minor amount of upscaling, when you have a 360 infront of you which would do a much better job.

The simple point is if you want to use the hd-dvd drive for viewing hd-dvd movies on a pc you must have a pc with the vista capable spec and a hdcp supported graphics card.

Regarding using the 360 to play the HD DVD then this seems pointless too. My Xbox is connected through VGA so it would be no better than the pc quality wise. Ok it wouldn't stutter but that's it..
VGA can carry the same resolutions as HD - stick it on 1280x720 and that's the 720p equivalent. In the last update I think they added a 1080i/p (not sure which) equivalent too. And the 360 will upscale SD DVDs when you use VGA too.

No offence taken froogle. I was trying to add constructive criticism somewhere along the lines!

I remember when the 360 launched there was a big comparison topic on the 360 forum for vga vs component for the hd content of the 360 games. I think it all boiled down to which hdtv you had it hooked up to and also which res i.e. 720p/1080i paired best with your hdtv. I think you'll find answers for the lg on the 360 forum.

I would like to think although both the pc and 360 can handle hd resolutions that the 360 would do a better job for clarity, brightness and general flow of image for your hd-dvd's.

It would be very interesting if someone had the hd-dvd drive and a hdcp card to compare the pic straight through the 360 compared to a dvi/hdmi from a high end htpc. My bets are they'd be very close, with marginal gain from the htpc.

No you're not. It depends on the quality of the analogue inputs on the TV, but there's scarecly any inherrent loss using anlogue instead of digital for HD. Most people can't see any difference between analogue (Componetnt) and digital (HDMI) with SkyHD for instance, and HD video form my HTPC is indistinguisahable beween VGA and DVI.

This thread is cursed, im sure of it.

The argument I am making is the difference of this user having his hd-dvd on an onboard 6150 chipset compared to a fully hdcp nvdidia/ati card. Nothing to do with the analogue/digital argument of component vs hdmi on sky hd. Generalisations have superseded you.

Well that comment doesnt really make any sense TBH ... If your going to view it through the 360 your more than likely going to be using component, which will NOT look better than VGA (although you can use vga on the 360 as well, obviously)

The argument that you are not getting the best viewing HD-DVD over VGA rather than HDMI/DVI is subjective TBH. You can still output at 1080i over VGA from a PC, so how is that any different from outputting 1080i using HDMI. Technically HDMI/DVI should look better as there is no digital to analogue conversion going on, but depending on the display VGA can be just as good.

For example my HTPC looks miles better via VGA to my Samsung LCD TV, than it does over DVI, it shouldnt do , but it does. So whether your using VGA or HDMI/DVI shouldnt really matter that much, and doesnt in my experience. Of course once the ICT Flag gets set on HD-DVD's then thats a different story, but by then all PC's will probably come with HD-DVD drives as standard, and everything will be HDCP anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom