Xbox 360 Games With Legacy Control Option

DR Kronenbourg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, a little help required in regards to which 360 titles carry the legacy controller option!, i have been a gamer for a few short months now and just cant get my head around the default controller setting. I am a big shooter fan and have Gears of War 2, COD 4 and COD WaW which carry the legacy option but recently purchased Farcry 2 which to my dissapointment did not. I have been looking at the Fallout series but cannot find any concrete info of whether it does or does not have this option. i know some of you guys have had the 360 from the beginning so i looking to you guys who have purchased titles in the past that have legacy option.
Please dont let this turn into a slagging match like i have read on other sites "we dont care about your controller options" and "you must learn to adapt". legacy is the option i want to stay with and dont particularly want to waist money buying titles to find out they dont carry that option! i do understand that not all games require this setting i am more talking about FPS and 3PS games. Some of you may say i will be missing out which maybe the case, maybe i'm just getting to old to adapt.

Any info would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

Danny

Legacy – Swaps vertical functionality of the left and right thumbsticks

Please dont let this turn into a slagging match like i have read on other sites "we dont care about your controller options" and "you must learn to adapt". legacy is the option i want to stay with and dont particularly want to waist money buying titles to find out they dont carry that option! i do understand that not all games require this setting i am more talking about FPS and 3PS games. Some of you may say i will be missing out which maybe the case, maybe i'm just getting to old to adapt.

Any info would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

Danny

Legacy – Swaps vertical functionality of the left and right thumbsticks

I used to be just like you and could only use legacy controls and I know you sais you cant adapt but honestly you really need to, legacy is very slow and clunky compared to the normal setting. The best advice I could offer (and its how i turned away from legacy) would be play some third person games where the character controls are on the left stick but the camera is on the right, i found after playing these for a while I was trying to do the same in FPS games and had to change the controls settings but was amazed how much faster and easier the controls are once you adapt. And hell if my wife could change then so can anyone!!

well theres been abot 30 views of this thread and only one reply!! surely someone must know what the control settings are in the games they already own, especially fallout 3, come on lads a wee bit of help here!!!!

It's not something I look at TBH. My only demand from control options is 'Invert Y'.

Does invert Y swap the vertical fuctionality of the left and right thumb sticks???????

I am only asking if some of you could be so kind to have a look at your options the next time you have a game on!!! i'm not asking for too much! or am I?

Does invert Y swap the vertical fuctionality of the left and right thumb sticks???????

I am only asking if some of you could be so kind to have a look at your options the next time you have a game on!!! i'm not asking for too much! or am I?

invert y makes down up and up down (my personal fave)

I have just checked on Fallout 3 for you, and it does not have a legacy option of any sort.
It is quite funny, I was so much like you, I could only play FPS's etc....if they had the legacy setting.
After a while though I was missing out on 10's of games that do not have the legacy option that I turned all my games onto the default controls and played away slowly but surely getting used to the default style.
After a while it was second nature and the response time of the default options is both much quicker and much more comfortable, and I no longer have to miss out on games as I was too lazy really to get used to the default option.

Take some advice and really persevere, change the controls to the defaults on the games you have and know and re learn and get to grips with the default style (remembering to have the invert y option on), as you will eventually end up missing out on some cracking titles, like fallout 3, if you don't as I did.

tris

I find it sad that devs cant, or wont, abstract their controls so you can have the option to map any button/stick to anything you want. The power is there, it's just if the devs seem to think "THIS is the method - and we are right". So what if someone wants fire mapped to the back button or forwards to A? Also free-mapping helps disabled people that might have unusual requirements or custom controllers.

As for the original question; sorry but some devs just dont support many options, and all you can really do is adapt or ask here before you buy a game; someone will surely answer you and if it does you can buy, if not avoid.

I find it sad that devs cant, or wont, abstract their controls so you can have the option to map any button/stick to anything you want. The power is there, it's just if the devs seem to think "THIS is the method - and we are right". So what if someone wants fire mapped to the back button or forwards to A? Also free-mapping helps disabled people that might have unusual requirements or custom controllers.

As for the original question; sorry but some devs just dont support many options, and all you can really do is adapt or ask here before you buy a game; someone will surely answer you and if it does you can buy, if not avoid.

It does seem a little strange that the fantastic things they can do with games these days that something so simple is overlooked!!!

Could you swap the sticks over on your pad? A little extreme, but it would solve the problem for all games.

Maybe there's a custom controller out there that already has this feature?

Excellent point. I agree that every game should have completely remappable controls and in game tutorials and quick time events should change accordingly.

In fighting games when you look at the moves for a character it should show the buttons you have mapped rather than the generic punch button + kick button etc.

It would make games more accessible as I'm sure loads of people struggle with default settings.

Last edited:
Excellent point (on remappable controls). I agree that every game should have completely remappable controls and in game tutorials and quick time events should change accordingly.
Some do. I often change the controls (if allowed) before i even start a new game. The badly coded games will run thru the initial tutorial with helpful hints of "Press A to open the door" even though you've remapped it to B, the good games change the hints/tutorial depending on the remap.

How dare you prefer brown bread over white :thumbsup:
:eek: If i was on the PC-brigade i'd have to accuse you of racisim, and demand that each loaf of bread has x% white, x% brown, x% yellow etc :lesson: re: Resident Evil 5 ;)

:eek: If i was on the PC-brigade i'd have to accuse you of racisim, and demand that each loaf of bread has x% white, x% brown, x% yellow etc :lesson: re: Resident Evil 5 ;)[/quote]

Defo, now that would be like having multiple options in your controller settings:rotfl: :smashin:

Absolutely. I love my 360, it's given my gaming a new lease of life.
But I do hate the way console gaming always involves being bracketed into some generic setup, with little room for change.

There's no reason why controls can't be freely mapped in a config screen, but I think there is always a view that console gamers can't cope with assigning settings by hand, so have to have a limited array of pre-configs laid out for them to choose.

Not sure if this does anything but have you set the Game Defaults to the settings you like.

Not sure if they are even used/supported by most games but it has a setting in there for movement.

Not sure if this does anything but have you set the Game Defaults to the settings you like.

Not sure if they are even used/supported by most games but it has a setting in there for movement.

That looks interesting, it would certainly be great if you could set up your game settings in your profile for use on certain game titles that dont carry your prefered option, the only question is and which you have already touched on! is will the games support such an option!!!! i will have a look at this when i get home.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom