XBOX 360 - fit for purpose ??

davosteel

Standard Member
What do you think ?
My 2nd console has died with the 3 red light ring of death.
I'm beginning to wish I'd have waited for the PS3, despite the increased cost.

Other than XBOX LIVE, which I think is superb (with the exception of non-designated MS servers), these are my major gripes -

1. Unacceptable failure rate of consoles
2. Noise of fan
3. Cheaply built / unreliable peripherals (my wired headset and plug 'n play charger are both temperamental at best and I understand wireless headsets aren't great)
4. Ineffective offshore support centre
5. Lack of decent games (admittedly some really good titles in development)
6. Expensive subscription service for XBL (compared to Sonys which I understand is free)

It seems to me that the 360 was thrown together in a desparate bid to beat Sony to market - something which clearly worked. I'm not convinced that it (or it's peripherals) was properly tested and my money will be on PS3 in the long haul.
Lastly, the XBOX 360 Elite. Waste of money in my humble opinion, especially if it has the same reliability issues as the original.

jason g

Distinguished Member
why dont u wait till the new version of 360 comes out?
the games coming out for the 360 is one reason to have one...
halo3
assassins creed
gta4
resi 5
forza 2
army of 2
pgr4
colin mcrae dirt
mass effect
shadowrun

i could go on and on..
plus live is far better than ps3's.
imo.

Kopite4Ever

Novice Member
What do you think ?

Other than XBOX LIVE, which I think is superb (with the exception of non-designated MS servers), these are my major gripes -

1. Unacceptable failure rate of consoles
2. Noise of fan
3. Cheaply built / unreliable peripherals (my wired headset and plug 'n play charger are both temperamental at best and I understand wireless headsets aren't great)
4. Ineffective offshore support centre
5. Lack of decent games (admittedly some really good titles in development)
6. Expensive subscription service for XBL (compared to Sonys which I understand is free)

It seems to me that the 360 was thrown together in a desparate bid to beat Sony to market - something which clearly worked. I'm not convinced that it (or it's peripherals) was properly tested and my money will be on PS3 in the long haul.
Lastly, the XBOX 360 Elite. Waste of money in my humble opinion, especially if it has the same reliability issues as the original.
1) My launch 360 and another a year old have been solid as a rock. Your only going to hear about the failures as people moan about it and rightly so.
2) Fans are not noisey DVD drive is, which the new BenQ one helps 10x.
3) Got all 3 items and all have worked perfectly.
4) Cant comment never needed to use them
5) OH PLLLLLEASE :suicide: a shed load of superb games have been out since the launch of the machine catering for pretty much most genre's.
6) All i will say is you get what you pay for :lesson: Having had live for years on end since xbox 1 and PSN since jan i know what one id take every single time.

Just my opinion of course

ukkev2000

Novice Member
What do you think ?
It sure sucks to have one box fail on you let alone two. You must be annoyed - I would be. Maybe you should ebay your replacement with your games and buy a PS3?

Lack of decent games
Which games do you have, out of interest?

Expensive subscription service for XBL (compared to Sonys which I understand is free)
Do you play much online? Which bits of the online experience do you enjoy/dislike?

Unacceptable failure rate of consoles
2. Noise of fan
3. Cheaply built / unreliable peripherals
The failure rate of your kit certainly seems unacceptable.

Things I'd suggest
1) Ebay your replaced 360 and buy a new one
2) Change the shop you buy your stuff in, it's all dodgy
3) The kit doesn't seem to live long in your flat - maybe it's situated on a ley line. Move.
4) Maybe you're the hulk and, infact, nothing lasts long in your possession. Do you notice that your shirt is ripped and your trousers turn into shorts after an hour of Gears Of War?

HTH

Indiana Jones

1) My launch 360 and another a year old have been solid as a rock. Your only going to hear about the failures as people moan about it and rightly so.
2) Fans are not noisey DVD drive is, which the new BenQ one helps 10x.
3) Got all 3 items and all have worked perfectly.
4) Cant comment never needed to use them
5) OH PLLLLLEASE :suicide: a shed load of superb games have been out since the launch of the machine catering for pretty much most genre's.
6) All i will say is you get what you pay for :lesson: Having had live for years on end since xbox 1 and PSN since jan i know what one id take every single time.

Just my opinion of course
Agree with you 100%, still on my launch console here and never had a problem with it, any of my accessories or any of the fantastic games that I have purchased in the last 16 months.

davosteel

Standard Member
Good replies - cheers.

Maybe I have just been unlucky, but I'm sure as sh*t not alone - numerous forums / Watchdog etc continously draw attention to the failure rate.

With regards to games - I've got loads - GOW, COD 2 & 3, GRAW 1 and 2, R6V, Oblivion etc etc. And I love them. I agree - awesome games coming out but when it all seems a bit famine or feast to me. A few good games release then months with virtually nowt. Not MS's fault necessarily...
Play mainly online - my point about cost is that you're paying £35 for non dedicated servers. And if / when your console breaks you're losing money for the lost subscription days.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Launch day console died last june. replacement has given me a few causes to worry, but still going strong.

Noise is a subjective issue.Doesnt bother me at all .

Have 2 wired headsets, 1 wireless headset ,1 play & charge kit , 2 gamepads and two remotes.All work just as well as the day I bought them...Wireless adaptor did give up the ghost though.

Never needed to contact CS

Games? Another subjective issue. There are some great games for the 360, and some that are ,to be kind, not so great.More than happy with what I have, with plenty to look forward to.

LIVE ? The main reason my console of choice will be the 360 for a while to come yet. Had a PS3 ,and one of the main reasons I sold it was because of the poor online implemation. Yes, it is free , and like has been said before, you get what you pay for. More than happy to pay for LIVE.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom