XBox 360 Faults

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by nheather, Jun 11, 2009.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,396
    Hi,

Thought I'd fixed my son's XBox but it appears that I am wrong. I've ordered a new one primarily because my son has a disbility (aspergers), uses his XBox an awful lot and was distraught because it kept failing.

But in slower time, I'd like to see whether the old one can be repaired (either by myself or by a professional).

Symptom:
    When playing any game, after a while the screen will freeze and then the console reboot. This has been going on for some time now but is getting more and more frequent - started off as once or twice a week, then maybe once a day, till finally within 15 minutes. No red lights at all. Thought it was going to develop into a RROD (has already been fixed once for this) but no signs of any red lights.

What I have tried:
    Opened up the box and cleaned a load of dust and fluff from CPU heatsink and fans.

Removed CPU and GPU heatsinks, cleaned off existing (dried up) thermal compound and replaced with Arctic Silver 5.

None of this has made any improvement.

Any ideas what it can be - I've tried googling but everything I've found so far is related to Red Lights and I'm not getting any.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Do you get a screen like this.?

[​IMG]

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,396
    No, the screen and console works perfectly, then screen freezes (as if someone has pressed pause) remains like that for a few seconds, then goes black and reboots to dashboard.

Can play the game again, all appears to be normal and within 15 minutes the whole thing will repeat.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    On all games?
    Sounds like it could be a dvd drive fault.

5. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I'm no expert but I'd look at the DVD drive too. My console went through similar but less pronounced problems a few months ago in that it would freeze although it never automaticlaly rebooted (it just stayed frozen!) After a bit of investigation I noticed it always coincided with the DVD drive making a lot more noise and spinning up/down more than normal. Like it was struggling to read the disc.

Really luckily, blowing some air through the disc tray appears to have sorted mine so far (touch wood!) but there are guides on the web on how to clean it all properly or failing that, how to replace the drive itself.

Good luck!

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,396
    Certainly on more than one game.

Thanks very much for the tip. He did have some disk reading errors recently, but I got rid of them by blowing into the disk.

But now that I highly skilled at taking an XBox apart and had the DVD drive in my hands yesterday it's worth seeing if I can give it a thorough internal clean.

Cheers,

Nigel

7. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Think you are wasting your time my friend.
    My First 360 died of a drive fault, with RROD.
    Might just be a matter of time.
    Best of luck anyway.

8. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,396
    Wonder if I have broken RED lights aswell? Highly unlikely but I'm going to unplug the video lead tonight just to check that I get 4 red lights.

Also I'll try copying a game to hard disk and running from that - that should eliminate DVD Drive issues.

Also I'l try running from memory stick to remove the hard disk from the equation.

Cheers,

Nigel