1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 FAQ Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Kopite4Ever, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    Colin & lawrence, excellent job on the FAQ guys :thumbsup: at least this should stop needless threads appearing, good work :)

2. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well Done! Glad some one did that.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Well done guys!! That's a lot of work you've put in and the results are superb.

Thanks again for this, I will make it a sticky and delete the previous thread.

Cas

4. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Excellent work chaps.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Excellent work guys! I'm sure this will prove an invaluable resource! :thumbsup:

6. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Cheers for the feedback guys - we'll keep adding to and amending the FAQ as new info comes to light. Remember, please let us know if there's anything missing or wrong and we'll try and sort it out ASAP. Thanks!

7. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    nice one!

although the rumour that the yanks will have the 360 3wks before us really annoyed me as that bloke at the mtv thingy said it was going to be a simultaneous worldwide release.

although a rumour and unconfirmed,hes looking like a bloody liar.

you just know europe will get stiffed on the release dates.

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Very comprehensive.

doesnt 360 sound like a more poweful gamecube having a PowerPC chip (urgh nasty) and ATI video components :)

9. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If the wireless controllers take standard AA batteries I assume it is possible to NiMH batteries and rechargers cheaper than the licensed recharger. Any thoughts?

10. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks Crispy! :) You can bet IBM are happy these days. The 360 is using a custom 3 core PPC chip, the Gamecube employs one, Revolution is rumoured to use one or two and for all the hype behind CELL, the guts are still based around a PowerPC Processing Element too... It's definitely the popular design at the moment (except with Apple!) whereas consoles from the last few generations have used all sorts of manufacturers and architectures. I wonder if the next generation will stick to a PPC based design or a new approach will find favour...

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    The GC is a very capable console IMO :smashin: . I think hardware wise the 360 is superb and more than capable of providing the quality required from the next gen of consoles.

Personally i've pretty much stopped listening to technical stats about the various machines though. They are all pretty much meaningless now and it will be the games that do the talking for me. All of the next gen consoles seem very powerful and that will do me :smashin: .

12. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'm counting on it! Seriously though, unless the controllers draw a relatively high load from the batteries which a NiCd or NiMH cell wouldn't be able to sustain in comparison to an alkaline cell, rechargeable AA batteries should be fine. I've only really seen issues with NiMH batteries not powering a digital camera with much in the way of lifespan but a stronger cell sorted that out - can't see it being a big issue for a games controller.

If anything (and this based on my limited understanding of rechargeable battery technology), the rechargeable batteries should perform better. I'm sure I read that an alkaline cell loses charge pretty much in a steep drop whereas an NiMH cell dissipates more slowly until it reaches a point at which it plummets. If that's accurate then the rumble strength should be more consistent for more of the battery's life.

Simplifying it dramatically here, but basically it's a couple of analogue sticks and some analogue buttons, a radio transmitter and receiver for the wireless element and a couple of motors to handle the vibration. It's not unusual to see DECT phones running on 2 rechargeble batteries and, although battery life was poor at the time, the N64 happily provided rumble feedback via battery power so it should be okay.

We don't know for sure yet though so I'll add your question to the wireless controller info of the FAQ as speculative info. Hopefully we'll get a definitive answer nearer the time.

Cheers,

Colin

13. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    5.10 Can I use my existing Xbox cables/controllers?
    Unfortunately, it looks like you're out of luck. Microsoft has changed the unique connection types of both the AV cable and the controller. Third parties may release adaptors but even if you can plug in your old controller, you will be without the Guide button which may or may not be employed in 360 games.

Hi

a quickie on this....... i wonder if the pad will work if you use one of the xbox - usb converters?

i really dont want to buy another FF wheel or lightgun :(

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    I'm not confident that you will be able to use any Xbox peripherals on the 360. The main reason being is that MS have now introduced a new licensing arrangement, and all peripheral manufacturers have to pay royalties to MS before they can be authorised for use on the 360 - it's a new way for MS to create revenue.

There will therefore be a software check when anything is plugged into the 360 and if it's not on the list, it won't work, even if it is technically possible. So unless MS make an announcement to the contrary, I'd assume no Xbox stuff will work, as it'd be in their interest to resell everyone joypads etc. Plus there is extra functionality on the new joypads etc, mainly being the Guide button. We'll see though...

15. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Seems Lawrence and I were tapping away at the same time :) While he was posting his response, I was updating the original question 5.10 in the FAQ :thumbsup:

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    one thing id like to know i dont think is mentioned anywhere so there may be no confirmation as of yet. naturally the 360 will output 720p,1080i @ 60hz in the states but is this the case for us in europe as well ??? or will they give us 720p,1080i @ 50Hz ? im not totally bothered as my projector is totally HD ready so will take both signals at 50 and 60Hz but im looking at getting a little 17" LCD TV and i think this takes 720p,1080i only @ 60hz but im not totally sure yet! any info you maye have could help :)

17. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, that info hasn't been released yet, but if it was 50hz we'd be getting a slower game :(

18. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    True, it's not been announced yet if we get 50 or 60Hz, but Xbox supported 60Hz, so I don't see why the 360 wouldn't...? We'll see!

19. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  20. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    :eek: You mean ours isn't perfect already ;)

Cheers for the heads-up Kopite.

21. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    It must support 60hz, especially in hi-def. I can imagine them not bothering for regular tv but can't see it at all.

22. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    power PC with 3 cores, each capable of running 2 hardware threads, so a theoretical 6x3.2ghz parallel procesing is possible. That's very nasty, give me the xboxes cingle threaded x086 chip at 733mhz anyday.

23. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    While there's no question of it supporting 50Hz or 60Hz modes, we got short changed on exactly which 50/60Hz modes we had access to last time - basically it was interlaced 50Hz or interlaced 60Hz - so the question as Kopite4Ever put it is really will be able to select the refresh rate at our resolution of choice too.

Hopefully this time, we'll get the lot and with the official plan to bring HD resolutions to the PAL territories we'll probably be given the choice now to pick our resolution and refresh rate. Games have supported options for 50/60Hz for years going back to the N64 (from memory although I'm sure I could change it on my ST in IK+ too!) with a screen test to make sure your TV supports it so it's not as if they have to worry about people "breaking" their TV or taking back their 360 because it used to work and now the picture just rolls or is black and white etc... I suppose it's the stock answer for now, as soon as we know for sure, it'll go in the FAQ ;)

24. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    PowerPC chip as in a reference to macs (and Gamecube) I hate macs especially my PowerPC 6110

25. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    What? A complaint? A criticism? Quick, to the black list!!! ;) Seriously though, the TeamXbox FAQ is great. A number of their questions are covered under one answer in our FAQ while other content they provide is available on the MS site. I'm keen to add as much content as possible to our FAQ but not in a way that makes us look as if we're just plagiarizing their and other FAQ's content.

We're keeping an eye on numerous sites throughout the day to try and bring valuable and relatively original info to AVF, such as the refresh rate issue, the true status of backwards compatibility, the VGA options, etc. Unfortunately, these are the things that have yet to be officially announced. There are definite areas we want to add more too such as some general technical info about the console itself, more on Live for 360, and info on the peripherals officially unveiled but it will be this weekend before there's another major update. If people want us to produce the FAQ to end all FAQs though, we'll get on it :thumbsup:

26. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i wasnt posting the link for that purpose im not in the mood to read a 50 page FAQ :) it was just a hefty FAQ i found and you may have missed something they didnt. i just want some more vid's now :(

27. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'm fed up with videos, I want the damn console already!

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    We should be getting it around 3 months today :clap: .

29. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hopefully but they still haven't announced that officially have they? I am concerned that it might slip past christmas if there is high demand in the states.

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Can't see that happening. They have informed us of how many will be available at launch and all high demand in the US will do in mean that good sales will continue into the 2nd and 3rd wave of consoles. They have said that the simultaneous release will take place before christmas but no date has been fixed as yet. Sometime in november (probably around the 25th) seems favourite.