Xbox 360 Elite Vertical FAN Stand.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by UKFX, Feb 11, 2009.

1. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    HI Folks. I've just registered and I need to ask what THE best vertical stand is for the Xbox 360 Elite. Obviously it will have to be black, but it also needs to provide good stability and has to be relatively quiet. I'm not to keen on the idea of it being powered by a plug instead of the USB.

There is one on Ebay with dodgy lights on it but I'm not to sure of it's quality because it's found in untrustworthy websites, which you'd associate with small businesses or con-men. So does any body have any suggestions or products I can use which are good? I will not be putting my Xbox Elite horizontally and it is in fact New (got it 6th) to replace my broken white premium so I need to care for it lolz :rotfl:. Vertical Fan Stands hardly interfere with the airflow but do aid in cooling.

Any help is much appreciated.

Peace :hiya:

-Willing to spend in the region of up to £40 on a vertical Fan stand assuming it is well made, sturdy and quiet-

2. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bump*

OK the priority is stability. GOOD stability.
    2nd comes cooling, if any.

Please help!!!! :(

3. noluv6

noluv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    vertical stand is not a good idea mate.
    read that it can cause problems inside the box as heat sink is heavy and vertical and gravity push's it down.

I use the intercool "i think it is" but heard many say it melt's on the back of the xbox but mine never has and it keep's the xbox ice cold.

just plug in the back and put power straight in.

I use my xbox around 6-8 hours daily on the evening,or every other day "sad i know" but its never melted.
    10quid on ebay

4. noluv6

noluv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah and being vertical the fan is placed on the ground so cant see it cooling much at all and blowing air into the console is a nono.

Id give the vertical a miss mate

5. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Being vertical is a no no? Can I just say that, that is wrong.

The heat sink is not heavy and it is clipped down and the disc drive sits on one end of it and the metal casing surrounding the Xbox clamps in all down. I know because I've opened consoles before.

Having it horizontal means less surface area is exposed and whatever surface it is (unless ice) the heat is radiated back slightly onto itself.

I asked about a fan stand, not the Nyko (draws to much current and kills your Xbox) which is in fact rubbish.

Please stay on Topic. I was starting to worry that one of you would stoop to an all time low and say it scratches discs next! :rotfl:

:rolleyes:

FX

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. knight2000uk

knight2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I shall put my 10p in here :D
    Vertically over time no matter how light or heavy the heat sinks are gravity pulls downwards agreed? :smashin:
    And having the hard drive on top of the unit decreases air flow because it covers up vents, the heat rises rather than going out of the back due to the non extended fan shroud, and as it does this your board warps with the waves of heat as it works its way to the top, whereas if you are laying the console flat the heat can escape out the top and suck in from the bottom and sides without causing the board to warp with heat.
    If you want your system to run cooler look into talismoon whispermax fans, the intercoolers only slightly speed up the air flow where as with talismoon fans you see a 58% airflow increase.
    also if you were to fit fans that suck the air in on the side of the machine you would get plenty of cold air circulation, aswell as extending the fan shroud over the top of the gpu and cpu, a bit overkill but some people like it that way lol!
    The fan stand is about as useful for cooling as a paper bag is for holding water :)

Stu

7. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Stu. Thanks for the info it was very well detailed.

The Pelican Fan stand can decrease temps up to almost 10 degrees. So it can work, but they don't have it in black.

I thought with heat rising with it sitting horizontally some of the heat stays under the case. Also, mine rests on top of a set of drawns which are wooden and that absorbs heat and radiats it.

I don't want to mod my Xbox. I've tried before and I'm skint I've been spending too much money recently.

Anyway... should I try Horizontal then?

Thanks everyone :smashin:

8. knight2000uk

knight2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Whisper fans come in as little as £13 :thumbsup: and there quieter than the standard fans too, its more a preventative tool than a mod so to speak.

What you do with your Xbox is your own individual choice my friend, lots of people like theres horizontal, some like them flat, choose which suits best for your needs.

Stu

9. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah. I'm going to try it Horizontal... although less surface area theres more actual holes open to the air.

Besides... I can't find a GOOD quality black stand, the rest are white. Lol it's ridiculous.

Thanks Stu, an thanks to everyone else who helped me make my decision!

Happy gaming! (Oh, not pre-ordering Res5 anymore, folks should pre-order HAWX from Play.com, the game is awesome!)

10. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    My 2 have been vertical, first lasted 2 years, second 11months, which is actually a good life for a 360 :eek:.

Don't use a cooler, it is more likely to damage your 360 than protect it.

11. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Wow, just been looking at them whispermax fans, might have to invest once my 360 goes past 3 years old.

12. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not modding my Xbox with interal Fans! End of, so thank you.

And as for USB powered fans that power source is fine.

I've used my console horizontal for about 5-6 hours and it's blowing out hot air.

I turned it vertical and felt the surface around where it had been lying on. The wooden drawns were very warm which is obviously being radiated directly back into the console.

So I'm thinking in terms of it's natural cooling. The Xbox is cooler vertically.

Does anybody agree with me? So far I've just see greater heat build up horizontally.

Peace :thumbsup:

13. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't for a minute suggesting you should fit internal fans to a new 360 (it's probably not a good idea to take one under 3 years old apart at all to avoid risking the 3 year RRoD warranty).

With regards to your vertical theory, the only way to really prove it would be to measure the internal temps at several different internal locations with the box sat both horizontally & vertically.

I can see what Stu is saying because although you may get better airflow around the box with it vertical, if all the internal heat is collecting near the top of the box and not escaping (thus making this part of the box way hotter than it ever would be if it was horizontal) then it may prematurely wear out the parts in this area. Not saying this is true, just putting a consideration across.

14. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Perhaps airflow does increase horizontally. I can see where he is coming from also. But by touch I can feel a difference at the exhaust fans when it lies horizontally.

It feels cooler Vertically. Though it's probably going to get knocked over. Either way... If it RROD's then I'll get it repaired. Then it'll do it again, etc etc... then I'll ask for a Jasper. Which I tried to get the first time around but sadly ended up witha Falcon... if it breaks more than twice ya reckon screaming at MS down the phone will get me a Jasper Elite? lol??

Thanks for the input folks.

FX

15. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    All I can say is that since I stopped having mine vertical I have stopped having faulty consoles

16. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    I think vertical keeps it cooler, I've had some marathon sessions with it vertical, although the consoles have died.

17. UKFX

UKFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That may be coincidence though... I'm not sure to be honest but I notice mine is cooler vertically :|.. spooky! :eek: