XBOX 360 Elite Quality

Now before any goes "Sony fan boy...360 quality is fine" etc. I'm not a Sony Fan Boy and I still have the original XBOX and I did have a 360 that I returned and got a refund because it was too loud and soon broke after purchase...I do still have regular 16 man Halo sessions with my friends...I have much love for the X.

I want to buy an X360 Elite however the issues regarding peoples X360's dying is quite off putting. However the problem could be easily explained by rushed batches for launch Christmas etc, however they seem to be taking their time with the Elites UK launch so it shouldn't be a problem.

What I'm trying to ask is if people who have purchased 360's recently still have a problem with the console being loud? Are people with newer consoles finding they are still breaking down?

geowars2

compared to earlier 360's there have been improvements in fans - for example quieter and more efficient fans.

There has also been 3 different disk drives:
Hitachi - Very Loud!
Samsung - Quieter but not reliable
Philips/BenQ - Apparently very quiet...

The philips/benq model is found in the newest 360's so the elite is bound to have one.

Other than that there is probably more improvements we don't know about ;)

So the elite looks to be pretty quiet compared to earlier 360's

Also when they get the new 65mn processor chips its likely to be even cooler and quieter

B

BHSean

The 360 i'm currently on has a build date of November 2006

Still noisy :thumbsdow

I'm guessing it won't be any different for the Elite until they start shrinking some of the chips

geowars2

The 360 i'm currently on has a build date of November 2006

Still noisy :thumbsdow

I'm guessing it won't be any different for the Elite until they start shrinking some of the chips

well i would probably think yours is quiet because mines is Feb 06 and has the older noisier fans and the very very noisy hitachi drive.

Yours im guessing probably has the newer quieter fans (the one without the white sticker on the back) and the samsung dvd drive...

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
How can anyone prove if the new consoles are more reliable? Seriously, it's not like anyone's ever released any stats.

All I can say is the 360's a great bit of kit and even if it does break, you're well covered by UK law and MS to get it repaired or replaced free of charge.

If I had a pound for every time I've posted that....

Indiana Jones

Still on a launch console here and never had any trouble with it.

This whole reliabilty thing is a farse, after all how can you tell if one made in the last few months will be more reliable than a launch console when mine is still going fine 16 months on and ones made only afew months ago have already failed on people lol

Sure its loud but thats what happens when you spin DVDs at 16x and when on the dashboard my fans dont make any more noise than my PC, infact they make just enough noise to mask the buzz coming from my LCD so I am perfectly happy with the amount of noise the 360 makes.

MartinH32

Zzebedee

mine was bought just before new years 06/07, no problems so far, doesn't seem oppressively loud althouh our lass has tutted at it.
The build date says 10/06

Kinmond

Standard Member
they tend to die within a year whichever model of 360 you buy. poor soldering of components is also an issue which the 360's have.

Mine was broke but i only cost £55 to fully repair so if i had the option of buying the 360 again i still would

bjnsharp

Mine is as loud as a PC with average fans. Which is to be expected considering it basically is the same kit in a smaller space. Unfortunately when I built my PC I made it very quiet when running. I have to say the 360 can be quite loud sometimes. But if you have any sound you can't hear it.

Bought mine 24thDEC06

ukkev2000

The Noise Comes From The DVD Drive

Fans and die sizes will make little difference until they make the first DVD drive that evacuates all air and allows the disc to spin in a vacuum, thus stopping the noise which is mainly air rushing about.

Or making the drive as hermetically tight as possible, one of the two.

Actually, those fans do have an annoying whine about them :( [launch console]

Still on a launch console here and never had any trouble with it.

This whole reliabilty thing is a farse, after all how can you tell if one made in the last few months will be more reliable than a launch console when mine is still going fine 16 months on and ones made only afew months ago have already failed on people lol

Sure its loud but thats what happens when you spin DVDs at 16x and when on the dashboard my fans dont make any more noise than my PC, infact they make just enough noise to mask the buzz coming from my LCD so I am perfectly happy with the amount of noise the 360 makes.

I also had a December console and it died last December. It was just within its warranty. I would love to say its very reliable but unfortunately I cant.

Its hard to say if the newer ones are more reliable than the older ones until they do a survey. I think the Elite will be made almost exactly the same as previous models becuase MS dont really recognise any faults with them.

The X360 is easily the loudest item in my setup. It completely drowns out the Wii and PS3 which are almost silent. But at the end of the day its all something you have to put up with because the games are so good.

Tokoloshe

What I'm trying to ask is if people who have purchased 360's recently still have a problem with the console being loud? Are people with newer consoles finding they are still breaking down?

Had mine 2 weeks from launch and still going strong. My brother has had his for about 5-6 weeks now (another Sony convert;) )with no problems either.

I wouldn't say one console is any noisier than the other tbh, and they're both getting plenty of use with some ridiculously long sessions on R6 Vegas.

Toko

this is looking promising in regards to a quieter elite...now all they need to do is confirm a release date for us EU-heads

SirDoss

Due to the amount that go wrong. I'm on my 3rd since Christmas and the store I got it from have admitted that they are totally unreliable and they have had loads of theirs back.

Due to the amount that go wrong. I'm on my 3rd since Christmas and the store I got it from have admitted that they are totally unreliable and they have had loads of theirs back.

Exactly I doubt any type of X360 is better than the other. Its prob going to be the same with the Elite. Its a shame I know. The X360 is the only console to have died on me since I started gaming 20 years ago. It doesnt mean I like it any less because the games are sooo good. Its the games that matter in the end.

LemonGrab

Dont know if this has been answered before but how/where can i tell the build date of my 360? :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom