• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 Elite Never Boots First Time! HDCP Related?

JimboJambo86

Ive found that some people have also had this problem where you turn the xbox on but just the green power light comes on, no green rings, so you have to turn the power off on the xbox, then back on and magically it boots correctly and the green rings flow round.
This problem has got worse with my new Toshiba TV, and happens far more often. It use to only do it the first time you play on a new day, now it does it everytime after youve had the xbox off for about an hour.
I think the problem is HDCP related... where the Xbox needs to 'Handshake' with your TV before it boots. Correct me if im wrong please!
But this problem is really irritating me now, any ideas on a possible cure, or just a way to to let it happen too much?
Thanks!

Disturber

Sounds like it could be HDCP related. I run my xbox through an Onkyo amp via hdmi and then to the tv. The xbox will not boot up unless the amp is switched to the correct input mode (i.e. game input).
Once the xbox is on though, i can happily switch between inputs without causing any problems.

JimboJambo86

yeh HDCP would make the most sense, do u think maybe somethings faulty perhaps in the software? as it wont 'handshake' first time?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
some tv's support hdmi control/hdcp handshake better than others.
best thing for you to do is, change input to the xbox hdmi channel,then switch the 360 on.

JimboJambo86

some tv's support hdmi control/hdcp handshake better than others.
best thing for you to do is, change input to the xbox hdmi channel,then switch the 360 on.

damn, tried this last night, no luck still wouldnt boot first time. Is so strange cos after that the Xbox is fine. Is really bugging me, more so that the box is now out of warranty!
any other suggestions? id be tempted to open it up and try fix it myself.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I used to get this occassionally with a launch console connected via component, so in my case it wasn't HDCP.

Yours might be HDCP, but sometimes my console would do exactly what you described which couldn't possibly have been HDCP.

You could try checking if yours does the same via component.

JimboJambo86

I used to get this occassionally with a launch console connected via component, so in my case it wasn't HDCP.

Yours might be HDCP, but sometimes my console would do exactly what you described which couldn't possibly have been HDCP.

You could try checking if yours does the same via component.

It does do it with component aswell as i sometimes play on a different TV and its exactly the same. How did you get around it? and when you say sometimes was it just random when it did do it?
Also mine never use to do it when i hadnt turned off the transformer, but now it does it everytime!
Thanks.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
It was totally random and probably only happened 5times in over 2years, so I just turned off the console and tried again.

I have no fix, and because it was so rare for me I never looked into it. All I can say is it isn't HDMI related, and it seems to be the OS not loading when the console starts. I would get onto MS about it if you have it so frequently.

Germinator

If I switch on my 360 and then select the HDMI source the 360 resets.

First time this happened I thought my 360 was faulty.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Also mine never use to do it when i hadnt turned off the transformer, but now it does it everytime!
Thanks.
leave it on then?

SirTiger007

I have this as well!! No idea why, but sometimes I just get the green light in the middle, the controller stays flashing. And nothing else. I have to turn it off at the console and turn it on again and it always works second time.

Did you ever find out what it was?!

knight2000uk

could well be dashboard related if your using NXE, alot of people have been having problems with HDMI for sound and such.

Stu

ROBIN50N

my launch console did it. i took it back and got another.

JimboJambo86

I have this as well!! No idea why, but sometimes I just get the green light in the middle, the controller stays flashing. And nothing else. I have to turn it off at the console and turn it on again and it always works second time.

Did you ever find out what it was?!

Hey mate only just seen your post,
If u ever see this…
you got an elite?
Ive never managed to sort it, I think theres a lose connection internally, and when the machine has been powered for a while it heats inside expanding the solder.. maybe, im just speculating, but no cure fore me and the problems only got worse!
Probably gonna buy a new elite soon, mines damn loud and the disc drive wont always eject, a real pain.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom